NO LOVE- speaker forum Yamaha speakers

I have posted twice on the speaker forum questions about Yamaha speakers with no response. Guess there is no love for the Yamaha speakers there. I have a Yamaha AS-500 amp and TS-500 tuner with a Yamaha CD player in the bedroom and would like to round the system out with some YAMAHA speakers. The Yamaha NS-333's and the NS- 6490's interest me as I need fairly small 2 or 3 way speakers as the system sits atop my dresser. Any suggestions on these speakers? Thanks

Thomas, personally I think your amp (which is a very nice amp) deserves a speaker of a higher caliber attached to it than either the NS333 or NS6490 (IMO). Do you have a dollar amount you want to limit your spend too? I am in Australia so my pricing will be different to yours but your amp retails here for over $700 and the speakers were around the $350 mark. I am no proponent of vintage over new or vice versa but if you have limited budget have a look at either NS344 or NS200m if you are keen to keep that Yamaha theme/sound - dollar for dollar (IMO) you will get a better sounding speaker - however, they might still be to big for your needs - alternatively keep klipsch's and buy a that turntable.

Might have the new Technics direct drive motor though..........:eek:

The motor and the motor control electronics in the GT 2000 I highly suspect to be sourced from Matsushita(specifically via JVC). Matsushita being the parent corporation that owned both Technics and JVC at the time of the development of the GT 2000. So as far as I'm concerned, if they do their job today as well as they did it back then, I'd be fine with that. The key word being If.

Thomas, personally I think your amp (which is a very nice amp) deserves a speaker of a higher caliber attached to it than either the NS333 or NS6490 (IMO). Do you have a dollar amount you want to limit your spend too? I am in Australia so my pricing will be different to yours but your amp retails here for over $700 and the speakers were around the $350 mark. I am no proponent of vintage over new or vice versa but if you have limited budget have a look at either NS344 or NS200m if you are keen to keep that Yamaha theme/sound - dollar for dollar (IMO) you will get a better sounding speaker - however, they might still be to big for your needs - alternatively keep klipsch's and buy a that turntable.
Right now I have a set of Klipsch RB51II speakers hooked up to the system and they sound pretty good. I just thought it would be cool to have Yamaha speakers hooked up to my Yamaha system - but, been thinking of trying out my Boston Acoustics CR8's on it and see how that sounds. I really like the sound of the Boston Acousics speakers.

Right now I have a set of Klipsch RB51II speakers hooked up to the system and they sound pretty good. I just thought it would be cool to have Yamaha speakers hooked up to my Yamaha system - but, been thinking of trying out my Boston Acoustics CR8's on it and see how that sounds. I really like the sound of the Boston Acousics speakers.

In my opinion, the Yamaha speakers you were considering would not hold a candle to either the Klipsch's or the Boston's for that matter. I am curious, you have two pairs of speakers, were you wanting to build a speaker collection? So what are you going to do, keep looking at speakers or start the hunt for a turntable?

In my opinion, the Yamaha speakers you were considering would not hold a candle to either the Klipsch's or the Boston's for that matter. I am curious, you have two pairs of speakers, were you wanting to build a speaker collection? So what are you going to do, keep looking at speakers or start the hunt for a turntable?
Actually - I have three separate systems set up right now and have been known to switch the speakers around.. My family room/home theater system consists of Boston Acousitcs CR-6's with CR-2 center channel, My formal living room is a Kenwood KR3600 amp- Sansui t-60 tuner Dual 1219 TT (this is my vinyl setup)
with Boston Acoustics CR-8's and my bedroom system is the Yamaha AS-500, TS-500 with the Klipsch RB51II speakers.

:( Pulled a bone head move this past weekend. Was hooking wires up to my NS-690's and knocked one off the speaker stand. It fell about 24 " front first onto a dozen or so CD's and a CDP. Busted the hell out of all the CD jewels. Didn't damage any CD's. No apparent damage to the 640 Azur. Poked a hole in the 690 cloth grill . Put a bad crease in the midrange wire mesh. And shifted the magnet on the woofer. Yes, I said a few choice words. Happy frick'n birthday Dave..

:( Pulled a bone head move this past weekend. Was hooking wires up to my NS-690's and knocked one off the speaker stand. It fell about 24 " front first onto a dozen or so CD's and a CDP. Busted the hell out of all the CD jewels. Didn't damage any CD's. No apparent damage to the 640 Azur. Poked a hole in the 690 cloth grill . Put a bad crease in the midrange wire mesh. And shifted the magnet on the woofer. Yes, I said a few choice words. Happy frick'n birthday Dave..

Oh Dave!:( I can empathize with how you feel. I had a very similar feeling when I walked down to my basement a year and a half ago and watched water drizzling down upon all my gear after a pipe burst in the kitchen...could have cried.
If anyone can make it right again it's you!

Avionic, I have a pristine set of 690 drivers, another AK'er was going to purchase just the drivers from me but his deal on the cabinets fell through. My cabinets are presentable (grade 7 or so) but the drivers are perfect, the 690's are simply too big and overpowering for the small bedroom I have them in. If you're interested hit me up and maybe we can work something out, thanks.

Ugh. That sucks beyond words.

Picked up and unserviceable "parts" midrange with a mint wire mesh. So now its either repair the woofer or just replace it.

Thankfully it wasn't My NS-1000's or 1000M's:thumbsup:

Dave, which version of the 690 because I traded a pair of Mk II woofers to an AKer for a pair of Mk I woofers and one had the magnet shifted. I made a jig from some PVC plumbing and got it back in place. I did the trade because my NS 690s are Mk I Be happy to ship you the jig.

Yeah it seriously is like new.

They were purchased and owned by one bloke since the 70s. He got too old and the wife asked the son in law to move them out the front for hard rubbish. He really liked the timber look and salvaged them. His wife didn't like them in his modern home so he ebayed them and i swooped, offered him good cash and he ended the auction and i picked them up next moring at 5am :) One tweeter wire broke and i had to order originals online, but now i have a few spares. Recapped with nice caps and VOILA super nice speakers for not much cash!

The NS70T is pretty awesome too. I always planned to sell them when i got the 690s, but cant quite bring myself to do it - they sound great!

I would seriously cry if that happened to my 690's but I don't have NS-1000's to console myself with. I'm serious, I would cry actual tears!

I love Yami receivers and integrated amps. Old, new....doesn't matter.

And I do have a couple pairs of vintage Yami speakers. I do like them, but I have to admit they are boring and stale. Not bad to listen to, but nothing exciting. All my other speakers are made everywhere else except Japan.

Speakers just weren't Japans strong point.

I disagree entirely. I need my speakers to accurately reproduce my music. If they do that (and the yamaha NS speakers do) then its up to the music to be boring or not. Sounds like maybe you were playing some Mantovani or Lawrence Welk? :beatnik: :D

Back
Top Bottom