Big Japanese Powerhouses

Which Japanese behemoth is your favorite powerhouse:

• Total voters

Zarathustra

Lately I've been looking for some information and specs for those beautiful Japanese poweramps graced with VU meters from the eighties.
Just for the sake of it you have to choose your favorite:
Alphabettically arranged:
1. Accuphase M100;
2. Denon POA-8000;
3. Onkyo M510;
4. Rotel B-5000;
5. Sansui BA-5000;
6. Yamaha 101M/PC5002

The first two contenders are of course monoblock designs but the others (for except the Sansui) are true dualmono designs.

I've had only the Denon POA-8000's in the eighties but it could not properly drive my Infinity Quantum 2's.

Which one is your favorite and why?
Or another (missed) contender maybe?

I would kill for the m-510, a true monster at 138 lbs and 2x2.1 kw at 1 ohm.And I like the looks.:)

Honorable mention would go to the big Yamaha.If its built 1/2 as tough as my p2250 it would be a keeper.

My sta-2300 isn't on the list. :D No vu meters but the first to have digital front end. (snork-sniffle) and packs a punch.

Kenwood L09M, Accuphase had a hand in them. I thought I'd never let them go until I came across a Classé CA-400 I couldn't pass up. Still for sale wink, wink. Honestly I'd be happy with any amp in this thread!

Dan
image.jpeg

I love the look of the Onkyo M-510. What a beast. I think I read that they made less than 100 of them for the US market. I have seen them sell for 6 grand. I don't think that they made any of them in this series that were bridgeable, but I guess they didn't have to with all that power. I love those huge meters. So much nicer than just a flat wall of aluminum.

ken99

I'm running two Yamaha PC2002's bridged @ 700 wpc. Great sounding amps!

20160409_181700.jpg

Another Yamaha PC5002 vote

That being said, for accuracy Id sure love to hear the Kenwood L09M. Up till recently I had no idea what a unique engineering design it was. Pretty nuts. Granted power wise they are a bit off compared to the units mentioned. But in use for a home I imagine not that noticeable.

Why oh why do we listen so loud ;)

Back
Top Bottom