New project General Electric Model RC-1671A

RS Steve

Tube Junkie
Subscriber
I am having one of these consoles given to me today, the old timer has been bugging me for a few years to take it. He has the rare optional remote speaker for it also. I figure it is worth saving, if for nothing else, the cool factor.

Just checking to see if anyone on the tube forum knows anything about these, and possibly help me get it somewhat restored. It has been kept in very nice condition, but not used in a super long time. I will post pictures of everything after I get it home.

This picture was found off the internet.

GE RC-1671A.jpg

Last edited:
Is the portable speaker one of those radio transmitter through the power line deals? I think it was GE that used that. "Porta-Fi" or something like that was the name. Once in a while you'll see the different parts for that turn up, but rare that one person has both the transmitter and speaker end of the setup.

Is the portable speaker one of those radio transmitter through the power line deals? I think it was GE that used that. "Porta-Fi" or something like that was the name. Once in a while you'll see the different parts for that turn up, but rare that one person has both the transmitter and speaker end of the setup.

Yeah, it is very complete and in very good condition. It's one of those things that I certainly don't need, but feel it could be a cool project to save from the dump. I'm just into restoring vintage stuff that is in great physical condition. It has a pretty nice Garrard turntable in it, and from what I can tell the two speakers get their connection through the hinges. They can be lifted off and RCA wire connections used for spacing them out. Hopefully it is simple to work on the amp section, and the radio.

This thing is in unbelievable condition, he had 4 remote speakers along with the 2 that attach.

20160429_154315.jpg 20160429_154325.jpg 20160429_154336.jpg

20160429_164742.jpg And after a good deox of the controls, the radio is working properly. I have it running at 110 voltage on my variac.
How about a little Hendrix jamming!

20160429_161534.jpg

Last edited:
This little console is very well built, I noticed 7189 tubes in the amplifier, and each of the four remote speakers have a receiver and tube amp built in to them. I have checked everything but the remote transmitter, and everything is working correctly. The audio it produces is very good, each speaker has 3 drivers in them, and the Garrard turntable works like it's new. Pretty cool piece of history. :thumbsup:

Not the project I thought it would be though since it looks like everything works.

DAMN! That GE is GORGEOUS!! Clean those hinges real good so you get a good contact. You can also connect the wires if needed, as they are in parallel with the hinges. You are one lucky SOB!:p If you ever get tired of it, Gimme a call.

Wollensak had a Wall Rail setup with a Radio/phono, and a separate R2R. With the Speakers it went like 6ft long, but it looked really good on the wall. I got a feeling this would look the same. I have a Model 5700 tape deck. Everything on it is idler drive and noisy as hell, but other wise it works well.

vin67AdsWollensak.jpg

Wollensak 5700.JPG

Very cool tape deck Larry!

I don't have the space to have this GE in my tube room, so most likely I will find a new home for it if I can find an interested party.

I didn't expect it to sound as good as it does, I placed a solid panel behind each speaker since they only have cane grill cloth on each side, it really made the bass catch up with the highs. The turntable sounds as good as a high end unit, and the radio has great reception. The dial pointer is off some, I might try and get that lined up.

Last edited:
Unbelievable!

This person that gave me these lives between us (PSL), he said he had a few more tube pieces he might part with including an amp from acoustic research that has tubes. I didn't know they made anything tube.

A few pictures of the remote speakers included with the console, they have a very nice tube amp / receiver in each of them. Could always part them out and create two pair of flea watt mono amps. :D :no:

I had a great time testing this console, I'm very surprised it sounds this good, not surprised to see all GE tubes in it though. :thumbsup:

20160502_153245.jpg 20160502_153255.jpg 20160502_153712.jpg 20160502_153726.jpg

Last edited:
Cool, that one works fine,Thanks! It's pretty advanced for the time,with the distribution system, and the mercury switch for the turntable light.

Last edited:
It's pretty cool how they packed so many features into a very small table top console. The door on the right seems to be for storing a few albums, It also has two RCA jacks in there for plugging in a tape player, or how about an I-pod :p? The person I acquired it from said, new, it cost around 1000.00 when purchased with all 4 remote speakers, that was a bunch of clams back in the early 60's. The biggest surprise to me is how good the turntable sounds, who would of thought after 50+ years that it would still even work properly without service being needed.

Back
Top Bottom