R.I.P. George Grand aka Toasted Almond

I only knew him through buying records. His stuff was always better than advertised. A truly class act. He's spinning vinyl in the stars.

George was the definition of what this site is all about. He will be greatly missed. I'll spin one of the records he sold me in his honor. RIP George.

I have been extremely out of touch with AK over the last month, so seeing this thread, just before AK crashed, floored me. Being local in South Jersey, I had the pleasure of meeting George on multiple occasions. Members like George have been instrumental in my determination that AK, more than any other Internet site I know of, is family.

Like many, my first George interactions were purchasing records.

My first actual meeting was a result of a Pony Express delivery years ago. I was visiting family in CT and had posted I could drive items back to South Jersey. I was contacted by a CT AKer seeking to transport an amp, and didn't realize the buyer was George until I called him to coordinate delivery. We arranged to meet on my way to work, since he lived close to where I taught. Traffic was horrible and I was late (something, I learned quickly, you should never do to George). Somehow it seemed my 200+ mile door-to-door free delivery was more than offset by my 10 minute delay.

Turned out it was just a terrible day for George.

George, once he realized what happened, wanted to make amends, despite my repeated reassurances none were necessary. In later years we could even joke about that first face-to-face interaction.

I knew something was wrong last fall, when George called me with a local lead on a collection of records. He knew I liked obscure traditional and classical recordings. Normally he would have grabbed any and all records in a heartbeat to sell for his charity, but he explained he was tired and was closing down his record-selling. Of course, he had already picked up the blues and jazz albums from the collection, so I didn't realize his health problems were so critical.

Sadly, that was my last personal interaction with George. We traded a few e-mails this winter, and I got overwhelmed with other aspects of life. Just goes to show you have to make time for the things that are important.

Last edited:
George worked tirelessly for a decade, raising funds for the GC. I would like each of you, who, like me, have purchased records from George, to consider one more fundraising push, in George's memory. The Githens Center takes paypal, now, even if George didn't, so I have sent a donation to them, in George's memory. If we sent flowers, he'd be the first to thank us, and then chew us out a new one, pointing out that the GC could use the money, and rightly so. The family will receive notification of the donation in George's memory, so Teresa, George's widow, and Stephanie, their younger daughter, will get a bit of an idea just how far George's reach extended through the online world. George and Tiffany are joined together again, looking down on all of us. Let's give George a sendoff to remember. Be sure to include a message that your donation is in memory of George Grand.

Today I came home from work and had a card in the mail with all the junk. I knew it had to be from someone at AK because it had a Jimi Hendrix's stamp on it but I didn't have my reading glasses on so I was like who's sending me what. Got in the house, tossed the junk and got my glasses and opened the card, it was a thank you card and hand written note and memorial card from Teresa and Stephanie, and look a Pink flower.

IMG_3059.jpg

It reminds me of these....

MVC-001S.JPG MVC-002S.JPG

I am very very touched by getting this in the mail, although I wish it didn't take time money and energy from Teresa or Stephanie in their time of need and pain.

I have been extremely out of touch with AK over the last month, so seeing this thread, just before AK crashed, floored me. Being local in South Jersey, I had the pleasure of meeting George on multiple occasions. Members like George have been instrumental in my determination that AK, more than any other Internet site I know of, is family.

Like many, my first George interactions were purchasing records.

My first actual meeting was a result of a Pony Express delivery years ago. I was visiting family in CT and had posted I could drive items back to South Jersey. I was contacted by a CT AKer seeking to transport an amp, and didn't realize the buyer was George until I called him to coordinate delivery. We arranged to meet on my way to work, since he lived close to where I taught. Traffic was horrible and I was late (something, I learned quickly, you should never do to George). Somehow it seemed my 200+ mile door-to-door free delivery was more than offset by my 10 minute delay.

Turned out it was just a terrible day for George.

George, once he realized what happened, wanted to make amends, despite my repeated reassurances none were necessary. In later years we could even joke about that first face-to-face interaction.

I knew something was wrong last fall, when George called me with a local lead on a collection of records. He knew I liked obscure traditional and classical recordings. Normally he would have grabbed any and all records in a heartbeat to sell for his charity, but he explained he was tired and was closing down his record-selling. Of course, he had already picked up the blues and jazz albums from the collection, so I didn't realize his health problems were so critical.

Sadly, that was my last personal interaction with George. We traded a few e-mails this winter, and I got overwhelmed with other aspects of life. Just goes to show you have to make time for the things that are important.
Thanks for the story hammr7

I've been away for a long while....I used to be very active here, and I remember Toasted Almond only vaguely, sad to say....but I DO remember him as an outstanding poster/member.....I am very sad to hear of this loss to the AK community, and of course to the more private family members..... 2016 has been a very tough year to handle............:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(.......willhowl

I recieved a thank you card as well. Unexpected, but much appreciated. I too wish they would have saved money spent for themselves.

The sending of the thank-you cards is part of the grieving process. The ladies were very touched by the outpouring of support from George's friends, both here and at Club Polk.

Wow, I just found out about George's passing a few days ago when I was talking to hammr7. Yesterday Hank and I spent quite a few hours together driving down to the AK meet up in MD and he told me about this thread.
I was stunned when Hank initially told me of his passing. You see, I had only met George about a year and a half ago, seems he was a regular at the same GoodWill that I hunted at for stereo gear. I would bump into him occasionally and we would chat about gear. I remember when I told him I was a big Bob Carver fan and had a few pieces of Carver gear he just smiled and told me about his system.
Years ago George worked out at the PX at the local AF base. He of course sold stereo gear and when they took on the Carver line George wanted a set of Amazings badly. He saved up a bunch of money and with his one time discount (as a Carver salesman, he could purchase I item at cost) he called out to WA to place his order. Already to place an order for the Silver Amazings when they took the order he said he blurted out he wanted the TOTL Platinum Amazings. He looked at me and said he didn't want to spend the rest of his life wondering what he was missing. He was totally in love with those speakers, he was going to keep them forever. When I would run into him I would jokingly tell him to let me know when he got tired of them. He would let me know that they weren't going anywhere.
Well when George had his big sell off in gear he called me out of the blue and offered me his Amazings. He gave me a good deal and threw in some great Carver items as well. A notebook with all the Carver literature and manuals that he had as well as a Carver dealer sign. I had a funny feeling about this but than he showed me to his "magic closet" that was filled with his collectible stereo treasures so I just went with his story about down sizing. I picked up a few other pieces of gear as well but I was delighted to have the Amazings, a more perfect pair could not be found.
George asked me to keep in touch and I had planned to. Life gets in the way and months later I ran into George on his way out of the GoodWill. He seemed annoyed at me at the time because I never called him. That wasn't that long ago so you can imagine how crushed I was to find that he had passed. A true friend and a gentleman that will truly be missed.
Along with the Carver stuff that George gave me was a wood plaque that was a gift to him from his fellow service men when he was still enlisted. It reads as follows

EAT MY FOOD
DRINK MY BEER
BUT, DON'T MESS WITH MY STEREO.

AND DON'T EVEN THINK
ABOUT MESSING WITH MY SPEAKERS!

That will find a prominent place in my stereo system
God speed George.

BillWojo

Last edited:
Wow, I just found out about George's passing a few days ago when I was talking to hammr7. Yesterday Hank and I spent quite a few hours together driving down to the AK meet up in MD and he told me about this thread.
I was stunned when Hank initially told me of his passing. You see, I had only met George about a year and a half ago, seems he was a regular at the same GoodWill that I hunted at for stereo gear. I would bump into him occasionally and we would chat about gear. I remember when I told him I was a big Bob Carver fan and had a few pieces of Carver gear he just smiled and told me about his system.
Years ago George worked out at the PX at the local AF base. He of course sold stereo gear and when they took on the Carver line George wanted a set of Amazings badly. He saved up a bunch of money and with his one time discount (as a Carver salesman, he could purchase I item at cost) he called out to WA to place his order. Already to place an order for the Silver Amazings when they took the order he said he blurted out he wanted the TOTL Platinum Amazings. He looked at me and said he didn't want to spend the rest of his life wondering what he was missing. He was totally in love with those speakers, he was going to keep them forever. When I would run into him I would jokingly tell him to let me know when he got tired of them. He would let me know that they weren't going anywhere.
Well when George had his big sell off in gear he called me out of the blue and offered me his Amazings. He gave me a good deal and threw in some great Carver items as well. A notebook with all the Carver literature and manuals that he had as well as a Carver dealer sign. I had a funny feeling about this but than he showed me to his "magic closet" that was filled with his collectible stereo treasures so I just went with his story about down sizing. I picked up a few other pieces of gear as well but I was delighted to have the Amazings, a more perfect pair could not be found.
George asked me to keep in touch and I had planned to. Life gets in the way and months later I ran into George on his way out of the GoodWill. He seemed annoyed at me at the time because I never called him. That wasn't that long ago so you can imagine how crushed I was to find that he had passed. A true friend and a gentleman that will truly be missed.
Along with the Carver stuff that George gave me was a wood plaque that was a gift to him from his fellow service men when he was still enlisted. It reads as follows

EAT MY FOOD
DRINK MY BEER

AND DON'T EVEN THINK
ABOUT MESSING WITH MY SPEAKER!

God speed George.

BillWojo
Beautiful.

EAT MY FOOD
DRINK MY BEER

AND DON'T EVEN THINK
ABOUT MESSING WITH MY SPEAKER!

God speed George.

BillWojo
I don't know what to say, but a touching story and I wish you where able to run into him again.

I haven't been here very long but I alway try and get AKers over to my house. I have met many and some have become friends and come by all the time. I don't look forwards to days that pass that we can't get back, at a lot of our ages everyday is important.

Back
Top Bottom