Bowers and Wilkins - which ones

Help. I've had my heart and most of my mind set on a pair of Bowers and Wilkins CM10 S2 speakers. I can get them brand new for $1000 under retail.

But, I just came across a beautiful set of Bowers and Wilkins 703 speakers for less than half that.

I've never heard the 703's, but I have listened to the CM10 S2's.

Has anyone here compared the two or can advise me. After listening to the CM10'S would I be satisfied with the 703's?

Nice. In general B&Ws take alot of power to drive efficiently. I almost bought a pair of these many years ago. I see an upgrade to a amp in your short future.

B&w speakers are engineered well, sound good, look good and are made well - they also keep their value for resale. No brainier.

Nice. In general B&Ws take alot of power to drive efficiently. I almost bought a pair of these many years ago. I see an upgrade to a amp in your short future.

Oh, I was going to use my Yamaha CR-1040 to drive them! Do you think that they'll sound good?

Just kidding. For the time being I'll drive them Bi-Amped from my Marantz SR6009.

AUDIO SECTION
Number of Poweramps 7
Power Output (8 Ohm) 110W (0.08% @ 8 Ohm)
S/N Ratio 98dB
Freq. Response (Analog In) 20Hz - 20kHz

Oh, I was going to use my Yamaha CR-1040 to drive them! Do you think that they'll sound good?

Just kidding. For the time being I'll drive them Bi-Amped from my Marantz SR6009.

AUDIO SECTION
Number of Poweramps 7
Power Output (8 Ohm) 110W (0.08% @ 8 Ohm)
S/N Ratio 98dB
Freq. Response (Analog In) 20Hz - 20kHz
My experience with the CDM 9NTs, at least 200 watts. My Manley Snapper(s) did a very good job as well.

I'm just saying, the more power you give the B&Ws the more they will shine. This is a given.

Help. I've had my heart and most of my mind set on a pair of Bowers and Wilkins CM10 S2 speakers. I can get them brand new for $1000 under retail.

But, I just came across a beautiful set of Bowers and Wilkins 703 speakers for less than half that.

I've never heard the 703's, but I have listened to the CM10 S2's.

Has anyone here compared the two or can advise me. After listening to the CM10'S would I be satisfied with the 703's?

703 are good speakers and probably are at the same level of refinements as cm10s2. If buy old check very carefully that drivers do not have damage. Specifically surtoundings of bass drivers.

Receiver is not sufficient to drive any of these speakers. You need a dedicated power amp of 250-300W per channel.

They look pretty similar to me. The CM10 weigh about 10lbs more each. They've got the tubed tweeter thing from the 800 series. I can't imagine there could be that much of a difference between the two.

Ok, well Pyle advertises some pretty powerful amps...

Ok, ok I'm just kidding. Posted that because I read elsewhere that someone bought one off the bay while drunk.

After I paid for the 703's, I started thinking that I might have over done it.

Just have to sell a few things if my Marantz can't drive them.

Ok, well Pyle advertises some pretty powerful amps...

Ok, ok I'm just kidding. Posted that because I read elsewhere that someone bought one off the bay while drunk.

After I paid for the 703's, I started thinking that I might have over done it.

Just have to sell a few things if my Marantz can't drive them.
It will drive them most likely, but they will sound so much better with the more power. Like I said before, a good amp (SS) with at least 200 wpc will give you a very good idea of what they are capable of. Those are some very nice speakers, give them what they deserve.

try out your receivers before you think you need to upgrade. They are pretty efficient and revealing speakers. Good score.

They will likely sound quite good with the 110 watts from the Marantz SR6009. I think you will notice an immediate improvement over the CR 1040 and will understand why people say B&W speakers like power. How much is open for debate.

The Marantz will allow me to Bi-amp the 703's, so I'll be pushing 125 to each set of speaker terminals. Yes, I know to remove the jumpers.

The Yamaha cr 1040 was really a joke. Right now I have that driving my ADS L-470's.

I'm really excited. My set up now is a Klipsch RF-52 II surround set up. But over the years I've gotten used to the horns and they just don't thrill me anymore.

While not in the same league as your B&W's I just switched from some 602 S2 to a pair of Klipsh RB-5ii's. I think I like the Klipsch better (I still have the B&W's)

I think you'll definitely like the speakers but agree on the power thing. If they sound shouty and have a severe lack of bass then your Marantz isn't up to the task. My DM620s sound great on my 125wpc Yamaha integrated though my 804s sound horrible at any volume level on that same amp. Driven by my 2602 power amp (260wpc) the 804s come alive and you realize why people pay so much money for these things.

Back
Top Bottom