New listening space.. new system

nyhifihead

hey all it's been a crazy journey for me past year or so, going through the buy/sell/trade/upgrade fever has been fun, but I finally landed a system I am flat out impressed by

less than a year ago I was in a cramped NYC apartment where my hobby was extremely restrained haha

after some changes with the job and commute I'm now on long island where I can afford a much larger space including a unfinished basement

after going through martin logan ESLs, infinity Kappa 6.1s, b&w cm9 s2, psb 6T, paradigm monitor 11se and endless gear by sumo, marantz, rotel, lexicon, b&k, crown, nakamichi, sansui I ended up where I am now.

please excuse the wire mess, its a wild arrangement in attempt to stop any signal cables crossing power cables. Building a new gear rack/tv mount this weekend

room will eventually be acoustically treated although its not nearly as bad as I thought as far as standing waves and reflection

gear-

NHT 3.3
Hafler transnova p7000 350wrms MOSFET class AB @ 8ohm
Integra Research RDC 7.1 pre/pro
source- PC lossless via nuforce ASYNC USB to SPDIF, then van den hul digital coax to the integra that has dual differential burr brown dacs with apogee master clock for front channels

running full balanced interconnects with mogami star quad 2534- amazing XLR cables and are insane for the price
speaker cable is van den hul MC magnum hybrid

The hafler seems to have unending clean power.. and the NHT play ridiculously loud and deep

because of proximity to the panel I was able to run 2 dedicated lines with hubbel green dot duplex, one for my panamax power conditioner that feeds my pre/ power amp on isolated banks, and one for my TV/PC

I am finally satisfied with my system, It really is killer compared to gear I've had in the past and systems I've heard double the price. Next upgrade will be either getting another p7000 to do monoblocks or buying a bryston 4b.

anyone in the used market for floorstanders 1500-2500, granted you have the space I believe the NHT 3.3 is the best speaker you will ever get, performance is astonishing and is extremely neutral with an impressive freq resp that only drops off below like 24hz, I have a very large room and no longer need a subwoofer.

ncmXxSW.jpg

oT8d6uj.jpg

2R9nWap.jpg

dJ0IMNm.jpg

Wow that is going to be Amazing looking when you get things all finished, bet it sounds wonderful. Congrats on your new move:rockon:

nudes of the Hafler p7000- this class AB MOSFET gets hot.. not to mention the 300w idle draw haha

keEHXGs.jpg

the 2x 80mm fans aren't audible at listening levels that I use but i'm ordering some korean 24v ultra low db fans off the bay that should improve cooling and lower noise floor

Does anyone have advice how to proceed with upgrading the power cord? or Is it not worth it since I use dedicated lines/high quality outlets w. a panamax power conditioner?

Nice set-up and space....are you going to refinish the basement?

Yea not the entire basement.. only finishing a section maybe 18 x 26 as a listening room. starting with double layer sheetrock on the ceiling, insulation is already there

just like this- heard from a friend who is a sound reinforcement pro, the green glue stuff is killer

Green-Glue-04.jpg

found another hafler p7000 local.. had to pick it up these are pretty rare in good condition

running 2x as monoblocks, bridged 1050w RMS @ 8ohm per

serious headroom, very impressive sound so far as these NHT 3.3 love power

KYx6wWK.jpg

Yea not the entire basement.. only finishing a section maybe 18 x 26 as a listening room. starting with double layer sheetrock on the ceiling, insulation is already there

just like this- heard from a friend who is a sound reinforcement pro, the green glue stuff is killer

Green-Glue-04.jpg
Now if only I had a basement

simple update- got a nice bello rack/tv mount.

using my PSB 6T while im awaiting my scanspeak replacement woofers for the NHT 3.3s from madisound. (RIP 1259s)

once you get the positioning right on the PSBs they really do shine with decent gear

in photo-
PC feeding pre/pro lossless thrugh a nuforce USB to SPDIF
hafler p4000 recapped with minimal mods
hafler p7000
panamax m5100ex power conditioner
marantz cd5001
PSB 6T. van den hul mc magnum wire
mogami star quad XLR between pre/power
definitive tech powerfield 12

KRehtaz.jpg

n2NOMcz.jpg

How's the 7.1 as a pre? I've been considering trying one out, but don't do theater.

Great gear! And your plans for the space sound awesome!

thanks so much! its gonna be a journey to get this room where I want it acoustically...

How's the 7.1 as a pre? I've been considering trying one out, but don't do theater.

Its actually extremely impressive. I am using it as a pre/pro for strictly 2 channel stereo. I feed it FLAC from my pc via a nuforce USB-SPDIF bridge, via thunderline digital coax

the 7.1 front channels have dual differential "balanced" 192/24 burr brown dacs PCM1704, very high s/n and an extremely praised chipset I've seen implemented in 20k+ DACs, as well as used in the highly praised Audio gd's reference DACs

one of the killer features too is that they actually collaborated with apogee in integrating their high grade master clock system into the 7.1...very low jitter causes impressive results

as a pre it has 3 zone full inputs, 2x unbalanced, and a balanced, all for surround. the balanced connections are extremely clean sounding. the sound is very refined and articulate, I love it more than any preamp or dac i've ever used, better than lexicon's MC and meridians i've heard IMO

sorry for the essay but I believe this is truly one of the biggest hidden gems in audio. I got one mint off the bay for under $600.. what a steal, the construction and build quality is insane as well as the though put in, and the performance speaks for itself

got my scanspeak replacement woofers for the NHT 3.3s from madisound. they are quite firm, once spider loosens up they should go deeper and louder.. but immediate impression is VERY impressive

the bass remains tight and extremely clean down to low 20s...

NHT 3.3 horizontal bi amped
modded hafler P4000 200wpc for mids/highs
hafler P7000 350wpc for lows
van den hul MC magnum/AQ 4 speaker cable

PC foobar feeding pre/pro lossless thrugh a nuforce USB to SPDIF
2 20amp dedicated lines with hubbel hospital outlets
mogami star quad XLR between pre/power

will update when I get my breeze audio U8 interface

kiLB6QD.jpg

xsvRVWY.jpg

update

man I love living in the tri state area.. the craigslist finds are obscene.

I got my hands on a mint onkyo integra M-504- with recapped power supply!

I'm a huge fan of Integra stuff, hopefully this has some synergy with my Integra research pre/pro

going to use this for mids/highs in my NHT 3.3, and keep the brute hafler for the lows

BGJfeV4.jpg

vhSOSZv.jpg

LplLiFk.jpg

I'm so hyped man.. will report back after long listening session.

NHT 3.3 horizontal bi amped
Onkyo Integra M504 165wpc mids/highs
hafler P7000 350wpc for lows
van den hul MC magnum/AQ 4 speaker cable

PC foobar feeding pre/pro lossless thrugh a nuforce USB to SPDIF
2 20amp dedicated lines with hubbel hospital outlets
mogami star quad XLR / Magnan Vi Reference RCA

my basement will also be start to be finished next week... dual 5/8 drywall all around with rockwool insulation and resilient channel all around!!

also breeze audio u8 interface in the mail..

Super nice, I have found the 3.3's very impressive!
Regards,
Jim

Super nice, I have found the 3.3's very impressive!
Regards,
Jim

yea i love them.. true full range speakers and some of the deepest and cleanest bass I've heard from 12" drivers

the sealed box is literally inert its also like 150lb per speaker- no resonation whatsoever even at high SPLs

Back
Top Bottom