C32 Ribbon Cables?

View attachment 685316
Above Photo of the NEW FFCs

View attachment 685318
Above Photo with yellow circles of the Solder to Insert Header 4 and 5 pin cable. #9,#10,#11 usually toast

View attachment 685319
Above photo of #9 solder to insert header (one end is solder into one board the other end inserts into a header)

PS: I can see where the C30 may be the McIntosh Preamp of choice after all.

Well,
This has been a Kind of labor of Love? We are going through a few more prototypes of the FFC cables for the McIntosh C32 preamp. We have had quotes from China and currently I have decided to have these made here in the USA. Its nice to talk with the actual factory who can make modifications while on the phone. Here is a photo of our numbering system for the FFC. THIS INSTALL IS NOT FOR THE NOVICE! I am saying that because you do have to remove boards if you are going to replace FFCs. Removing the Headphone Amplifier board which is absent in the above photos really makes the install go faster.

"The LED Light Strip PC Board" requires you to remove the "Listen Mode Selector PC Board" and the "Tone Frequency Control Board" PC Board. The "LED Light Strip PC Board" has an extended Hex Nut and you have to use Hemostats or a very fine needle nose pliers to keep them from rotating while you unscrew from the front Foam Strip. I am preparing a Cheat Sheet but it proves to be almost a book so I may ditch the whole Cheat Sheet concept and just do You Tube videos for each step.

This is my 3rd carcass C32 donor unit that not only had the FFCs delaminate but the cable of Solder to Straight Pin Header also have serious issues (Ribbons 9-13 circled in Yellow). To keep from soldering, I think the easy fix for these 4 and 5 pin Solder to Straight pin is to remove the laminate (they almost fall off) and insert a shrink tube or empty wire sleeve, clean the ends and reinsert. I am trying to keep the cost down while keeping the caliber and quality control to the highest level, thus the USA vendor. More later.

Getting a C32 Tuesday.....Put me on a list when these replacements are completed. Will send you a PM.

We have just approved the final drawings for the C32 replacement FFCs with our USA manufacturer. Manufacturing is 6-8 weeks and I can tell you it has been great to have these made in the USA where changes can be made via email and teleconferences. Here is a 8x10 photo that will be included either by glossy photo, USB drive or a download. We probably will have instructions on a USB to keep the paper down and easy ship. We are now making a decision if the "solder to header insert" cables 9-13 should be included. The FFCs 1-8 do not requiring soldering and are easy replacements but the 9-13 requires one end to be soldered.

History: The original FFCs in the C32 were made by the GORE company and the first generation production of FFCs. Although ground breaking at the time, these FFCs became problematic with delamination due to time and heat. The solder to pin ribbons were less problematic but these were also found to delaminate. The quick fix for these solder to pin ribbons was to remove the laminate, and put a condom on the wires (shrink tube or hollowed 26g wire sheath) and reinsert back to each header. The best fix is to replace #9-13 ribbons.

Testing: We have used six C32 units in our beta testing. Two free standing units without ever being in a wooden cabinet, 3 units always inside a wooden cabinets and 1 unit inside a wooden cabinet that would sit on top of a MC2205 also in a wooden cabinet. It appears those C32s that were placed inside a cabinet showed severe delamination to include the solder to pin cables due to excessive internal heat. The most severe case of delamination was the C32 in a wooden cabinet, sitting on top of the MC2205 also in a wooden cabinet. The freestanding units not in a wooden cabinet to a lesser degree suffered FFC delamination as well but not evident until the FFCs were actually handled, unplugged and reinserted.

I will keep this site posted of updates. I am shooting for an August launch for the FFC kit of 8 FFCs and possibly the 5 solder to insert ribbons. NOTE: You must remove the headphone amp module to facilitate FFC #3-6 install.

FFC Location and Description Final 6 April.jpg

Last edited:
We have just approved the final drawings for the C32 replacement FFCs with our USA manufacturer. Manufacturing is 6-8 weeks and I can tell you it has been great to have these made in the USA where changes can be made via email and teleconferences. Here is a 8x10 photo that will be included either by glossy photo, USB drive or a download. We probably will have instructions on a USB to keep the paper down and easy ship. We are now making a decision if the "solder to header insert" cables 9-13 should be included. The FFCs 1-8 do not requiring soldering and are easy replacements but the 9-13 requires one end to be soldered.

History: The original FFCs in the C32 were made by the GORE company and the first generation production of FFCs. Although ground breaking at the time, these FFCs became problematic with delamination due to time and heat. The solder to pin ribbons were less problematic but these were also found to delaminate. The quick fix for these solder to pin ribbons was to remove the laminate, and put a condom on the wires (shrink tube or hollowed 26g wire sheath) and reinsert back to each header. The best fix is to replace #9-13 ribbons.

Testing: We have used six C32 units in our beta testing. Two free standing units without ever being in a wooden cabinet, 3 units always inside a wooden cabinets and 1 unit inside a wooden cabinet that would sit on top of a MC2205 also in a wooden cabinet. It appears those C32s that were placed inside a cabinet showed severe delamination to include the solder to pin cables due to excessive internal heat. The most severe case of delimitation was the C32 in a wooden cabinet, sitting on top of the MC2205 also in a wooden cabinet. The freestanding units not in a wooden cabinet to a lesser degree suffered FFC delamination as well but not evident until the FFCs were actually handled, unplugged and reinserted.

I will keep this site posted of updates. I am shooting for an August launch for the FFC kit of 8 FFCs and possibly the 5 solder to insert ribbons. NOTE: You must remove the headphone amp module to facilitate FFC #3-6 install.

Great News!!!!!!

I have from last posted completed my C32 Recapped. 2 Cables have minor delaminate at the ends. Cannot wait until this kit is released.

We have just approved the final drawings for the C32 replacement FFCs with our USA manufacturer. Manufacturing is 6-8 weeks and I can tell you it has been great to have these made in the USA where changes can be made via email and teleconferences.

It appears those C32s that were placed inside a cabinet showed severe delamination to include the solder to pin cables due to excessive internal heat. The most severe case of delamination was the C32 in a wooden cabinet, sitting on top of the MC2205 also in a wooden cabinet. The freestanding units not in a wooden cabinet to a lesser degree suffered FFC delamination as well but not evident until the FFCs were actually handled, unplugged and reinserted.

I will keep this site posted of updates. I am shooting for an August launch for the FFC kit of 8 FFCs and possibly the 5 solder to insert ribbons.
Very good work there!!

Would like to summarize and restate TWO points you've made above.

1. severe delamination.. due to excessive internal heat;

2. not evident until.. actually handled, unplugged and reinserted.

Handling (disconnecting-reconnecting) old ribbons especially tears them up.

-Gregory

p.s. am VERY upset that Comcast discontinued there Webspace service for broadband customers, their brilliant move has wiped out every photo, graphic, spreadsheet, etc. posted here over the last 8 years. Fortunately was able to SAVE as full HTML every significant thread as a local web page. Maybe someday they can be restored. Hey that's a good word.. restored!!

We are getting closer to completing the FFC Kit. The biggest hurdle was getting the Legal Department of McIntosh Labs Inc. to give our literature the once over. They wanted to be sure there was a disclaimer: "McIntosh" is a registered trademark of McIntosh Laboratory, Inc., which is not affiliated with, nor responsible for this product." Manufacturing is completed and now off to packaging.

We received our Solder to Pin (S2P) cables and the packaging turned out really nice. The photo shows the actual pack and next to it the contents. We were not able to actually print on each S2P cable like the FFCs but the instructions are very simple. In fact, you can't make a mistake with any of these cables as either they won't reach or you can't put a 5 pin into a 4 pin. In our research, the S2P cables in extreme cases delaminated by shedding their outer mylar coating and exposing the wires. Note: Each S2P cable requires that one end to be solder on a board and the other end to be attached to the supplied Screw Block Terminal Connector which is then inserted into the receiving board's header. The terminal block provides greater surface contact vs the original design of a single wire inserted into the header. One could just replace the old header and solder in place the Screw Block Terminal Connector. There is a polarity strip on each S2P for ease of identification.

I will post the FFCs when they arrive and it looks like we will be on time for the August launch. We are tweaking the price point and trying to keep costs down so stay tuned. Thanks everyone.

FullSizeRender 3.jpg Delaminated 5 Pin  ribbon.jpg IMG_8256.JPG

Last edited:
Yes ! Today is Christmas for us........... the FFC kits are completed and packaged. The photos show what the buyer will receive:
1. Printed flyer and on the backside, information about the FFC project.
2. Printed 8x10 color layout of the C32 and on the back the Identification of FFCs and Solder to Pin jumper cables.
3. Small packet that contains the 5 Solder to Ribbon (S2R) jumper cables with 5 Screw Terminal Block Connectors.
4. FFC packet that contains the 8 FFCs each identified with Number and the boards they attach to.

Each kit will be shipped Priority Mail small box. We will begin shipping in late August and possibly sooner.

IMG_8455.JPGIMG_8456.JPGS2P.jpgIMG_8453.JPGIMG_8454.JPGIMG_8452.JPG

Yes ! Today is Christmas for us........... the FFC kits are completed and packaged. The photos show what the buyer will receive:
2. Printed 8x10 color layout of the C32 and on the back the Identification of FFCs and Solder to Pin jumper cables.
3. Small packet that contains the 5 Solder to Ribbon (S2R) jumper cables with 5 Screw Terminal Block Connectors.
4. FFC packet that contains the 8 FFCs each identified with Number and the boards they attach to.

Each kit will be shipped Priority Mail small box. We will begin shipping in late August and possibly sooner.

View attachment 744722View attachment 744723View attachment 744727View attachment 744729View attachment 744730View attachment 744731
:angel:......Cannot wait for this.

Is this kit available for purchase yet, if so please let me know how to obtain one.

The listing says only 200 kits will be available.

Wondering if I should buy a set to keep on hand...:idea:

Thank you Ibcgav

I have found them on Ebay and placed an order.

62 Caddy

Very nice ride..........Might not be a bad idea and If the cables are constructed to the specifications Hofvox states in his description it will be a very long time until they will need replacing.

Thank you Ibcgav

I have found them on Ebay and placed an order.

Hi Kayem - what's the verdict?? Everything as expected? Beyond expectation? I have two C32's here, one with lamination, and the other still ok....

Hi Kayem - what's the verdict?? Everything as expected? Beyond expectation? I have two C32's here, one with lamination, and the other still ok....

Hello Slowpat,

I ordered the kit on Ebay and it came faster than expected. Hofvox contacted me via email and let me know when the order was processed and when it shipped.

The kit arrived and was exactly as advertised and of good quality.

The installation is pretty straightforward as all cables are numbered and it comes with documentation and pictures.
My 32 had some delaminating cables that were visible with the cover off, but during the disassembly for re capping, cables that looked perfect went south when touched and the ones that looked ok had one or two trace issues.

Be advised to do the full replacement the C32 must be dismantled, but it is not horrible just take your time and don't force anything. And you may want to do a full recap while you are in there.

Bottom line is there are many different ideas for replacing these cables on this site and others, for me, finding this kit was the way to go as it saved me time and still leaves the C32 serviceable as you can still pull the boards if necessary.

Folks,
The C32 Ribbon Kit project has been accepted beyond expectations. In our post beta testing we sent samples to very well known McIntosh service centers for their feedback and every one of them came back with the best positive feedback we could have anticipated. We started out with 200 kits world wide and we are now down to about 35 kits available and sorry to say, we will not be making this kit again as the price has double from the USA manufacturer.

Kudos to those who have purchased the kit and posted their feedback. If anyone has a C32 preamp, I would recommend the following: You "Must Have" as set of these cables as a back up. I would recommend that EVERY C32 Preamp out there will need this cable kit once any Flat Flexible Cable is touched.

Again, thanks you for the feedback.

Last edited:
Bought 4 kits and have used 2 with 100% results, leaves one kit for my C32 and one for shop use.
It was a long wait for them to appear but well worth it.

Hello folks,
Just an update on the C32 Ribbon Kits. We had an enormous success with the kits, way beyond our expectation. Sales range from Italy, Japan, UK, Estonia, France, China, Canada and of course the USA. We are down to less than 20 kits available until the next production run starts in May or June of this year. The bad news is there will be a 28% increase from $150 per kit to around $192 per kit. Our USA manufacturer regretfully could not contain the price point near the 1st batch run. The kit includes the 8 flat FFC cables, 5 solder to pin jumpers, 5 insert screw down headers and plenty of documentation. I would like to thank everyone who has purchased this kit and especially those McIntosh service centers who have given these cables a 2 thumbs up.

Note: At least 2 service centers have commented they would not perform electronic repairs on the C32 without replacing the ribbons. Also, it appears that replacing the ribbons is not as complicated as one would think but you do have to remove boards and almost a complete disassembly of the preamp.

This is very good news for the McIntosh community. No longer will the C32 be feared, shunned or devalued.

Is the printed material available for download in a PDF doc?

-Greg

I build my kit myself and it don't cost me 192,00 usd for each !

you do have to remove boards and almost a complete disassembly of the preamp. of course this is the best way to do it !

Back
Top Bottom