The Evolution and Progression of Members Systems

One thing I know, as I have built my system up, I'v had a lot of dumb luck. I hardly ever ask for help, some of my best components I never knew about them prior to buying or about ready to. Some things you wouldn't want to see shipped or pay for it was local to get it, and the attitude just get it, plug it in and see what happens.

Going through this thread is audio bliss - sincerely a pleasure. I am only 5 years into my collecting and I am slowly climbing the totem pole of gear as my taste and desire to explore deeper into both audio, audio history and sonic improvements/expectations. Been going slow of late because I have focused on restoration of the keeper and determining what to consolidate and to let go.

I so wish I had caught the bug earlier as it has been so fulfilling as a hobby, some of you look like you have been at for decades.

Rob :)

Last edited:
After I started getting better tables, (Not Cartridges) I started to shop for Tubes. This is when I really wanted to start getting better quality sound and gear. Ultimately I settled on McIntosh, really this took great thinking and debate in my head. Then it took the will to invest the kind of money a system built around mac tubes.

Went to a local Mac dealer and walked out with a MC275 Mk VI, and they had a used (Vintage 1998) C100 Preamp I bought as well. I found out later how bad ass this C100 is, I came here asking questions and that was my first thread and second post here. Mike G and Kevzep and many many others welcomed me and helped a lot, what a great night that was.

Still stacking and still rock-in Sansui though

View attachment 748582 View attachment 748583 View attachment 748584 View attachment 748586
So your into Kabuki speakers? How do they image?

Going through this thread is audio bliss - sincerely a pleasure. I am only 5 years into my collecting and I am slowly climbing the totem pole of gear as my taste and desire to explore deeper into both audio audio history and sonic improvements/expectations. Been going slow of late because I have focused on restoration of the keeper and determining what to consolidate and to let go.

I so wish I had caught the bug earlier as it has been so fulfilling as a hobby, some of you look like you have been at for decades.

I actually got back into vintage about 8 yrs. ago and that's when I started collecting,because it was so inexpensive and sounded so good .Although now the prices on most of the receivers has doubled.

I actually got back into vintage about 8 yrs. ago and that's when I started collecting,because it was so inexpensive and sounded so good .Although now the prices on most of the receivers has doubled.

I know I feel like the epiphany came to late, even in the last few years here in OZ prices have climbed or people are aware there is a market and demand. Really have to be on the ball to get great deals + Oz thrift shops are clearly different to the US ones - never anything special to be had. When I read much older posts from when AK first got started and the prices paid :eek::eek: I look at 427, onwardjames's and many others here collections and the care, time and thought that has gone into their hobby is quite wonderful. I think the greatest thing I have learnt from AK is just how diverse this hobby can be enjoyed + everything else I have gained along the way. Anytime someone posts pics like these the first thing that goes through my head is
130233ed3ea90c04e47967b7897e4387.jpg

And I do love your garage - I am a scalextric man - many hours lost with the nine year old yelling 'cheater' at each other or "your turn to put the cars back on" after a crashing or spinning out.

My system is at about the point that I first got to AK and started participating, When I went to the mac tubes I was using them with a rare pair of Sansui SP-5000. It was (is) a really good match up. I had two MC275 mono bridged @ 180 WPC, the SP-5000s are 90 watt and 102db. This has a great sound and performance that I haven't been able to beat to this day.

However after getting here and the constant negative ignorant comments like this....

So your into Kabuki speakers?

And trying to explain over and over, (1) your talking about a speaker you'v never heard, and (2) even if you did I doubt you'v heard them with 180w of mac tubes hitting them hard. This is another reason I don't listen to people as to what to "buy" for my system, too many comments without any experience with the equipment being discussed.

So more dumb luck happened, when looking on the bay there was a pair of JBL L250 local to me. So I bought them, not really knowing much about them but they had to be good, better than (Kabuki :rolleyes:) and they looked cool.

When I first got them home...

IMG_1386_zps88492408.jpg

After resto and testing if they where still working, the first night to have a listen.
IMG_1443_zpsbd94f643.jpg IMG_1446_zps2c5e9657.jpg

The next weekend I pulled all the Sansui equipment out of the room to make way for the L250s. They needed to be setup and placed correctly for imaging and back wall space, and give me time to acclimate to their SQ.

IMG_1465_zps1bda220f.jpg

I am only 5 years into my collecting and I am slowly climbing the totem pole of gear as my taste and desire to explore deeper into both audio audio history and sonic improvements/expectations.

Well Rob lets see what you have been doing, it's fun to see the progression of growth and what worked out and what didn't.

It wasn't very long till I moved the Sansui SP-5000s back into the system. Yes the L250s sound good but being so power hungry they just didn't mach the overall performance of the sp-5000 with the tubes. I ended up driving both at the same time till I could get a bigger amp for the JBLs

IMG_1628_zpsaf44190c.jpg IMG_1629_zps6a1d2060.jpg

Im also stepping up my digital game and bought a McIntosh D100 for DAC duty.

IMG_1630_zps366e1303.jpg IMG_1635_zpsdc758a3b.jpg

My system is at about the point that I first got to AK and started participating, When I went to the mac tubes I was using them with a rare pair of Sansui SP-5000. It was (is) a really good match up. I had two MC275 mono bridged @ 180 WPC, the SP-5000s are 90 watt and 102db. This has a great sound and performance that I haven't been able to beat to this day.

However after getting here and the constant negative ignorant comments like this....

And trying to explain over and over, (1) your talking about a speaker you'v never heard, and (2) even if you did I doubt you'v heard them with 180w of mac tubes hitting them hard. This is another reason I don't listen to people as to what to "buy" for my system, too many comments without any experience with the equipment being discussed.

So more dumb luck happened, when looking on the bay there was a pair of JBL L250 local to me. So I bought them, not really knowing much about them but they had to be good, better than (Kabuki :rolleyes:) and they looked cool.

When I first got them home...

View attachment 748731

After resto and testing if they where still working, the first night to have a listen.
View attachment 748732 View attachment 748733

The next weekend I pulled all the Sansui equipment out of the room to make way for the L250s. They needed to be setup and placed correctly for imaging and back wall space, and give me time to acclimate to their SQ.

View attachment 748735
I'm not being negative, that's what they call them around here.If you like them that's all that matters.Whatever you have is fine by me.

As some of you see I kept upgrading, looking for a sound, I even bought McIntosh but was still looking. My mac system was not to be cluttered with a bunch of sources, just turntables, and a digital recorder. Even though I kept upgrading turntables and was always looking for the next best, I just kept moving my cartridges MM to the next table.

Enter the the biggest improvement to my system and what I thought then as my last turntable, it kinda was. A guy local to me was selling this SOTA Star Sapphire on the bay, I contacted him to go and buy it. He was only selling the table, but when I got there I asked what kind of arm he had on it and if he still had it, he did, I asked about the cartridge, he had that also. I ended up coming home with everything, the Star, SME 309 arm and a Sumiko Blackbird. After the extensive setup and I dropped the needle I was in heaven, that's what I was looking and looking for.

View attachment 748654 View attachment 748655 View attachment 748656 View attachment 748657

It really is a combination of table arm and the MC blackbird, however the cart is one of the biggest factors to the SQ and then the system that lets the signal pass though without noise added.

You have a beautiful system. I, too, am somewhat surprised at your speaker choice, but then I've never heard them, though I'd love to. Those 275s are impressive. Have you ever considered trying out an ARC pre? An SP-11 (or -10 or -9) would lead to some interesting comparisons for you to share with us. I'm not denigrating what you have at all... your stuff is beyond my paygrade, at least from the electronic component perspective. I'm very happy with the Khorns.

Your new table/arm combo looks very nice and I'm sure the sound matches appearance. Thanks for all the pics.

I'm not being negative, that's what they call them around here.If you like them that's all that matters.Whatever you have is fine by me.
With respect to imaging, my concern would be for the pre-Floyd Toole speaker design approach used by JBL in the 70s and 80s as implemented in the L250. To wit - running a driver (the 5" midrange) beyond its ideal range for consistent directivity.

Toole is all about delivering consistent directivity across the entire spectrum - as am I which is one reason I've favored truly full range electrostats for forty years! Directivity falls off significantly when the driver's piston diameter exceeds the wavelength reproduced. The 5" midrange runs all the way to 5.2 kHz where the wavelength is 2.6". It is common that a tweeter will narrow its directivity at the top of its range, but the effect is gradual and usually not noticed. When, however, you transition a challenged driver to one sitting right in the middle of its sweet spot with wide dispersion, you get a discontinuity that I find noticeable. While I haven't heard the 250, I've heard other JBLs that used the same approach. Instruments that span both drivers render a somewhat peculiar "hourglass" shaped image with fundamentals in the lows and midrange reproduced normally, but with the upper midrange and lower highs comparatively shrunken only to transition (and return) to a wide perspective at the top.

If you look at current JBL designs like the LSR6332, you find that it restricts the 5 incher to 2.2 kHz before transitioning to the tweeter. I'm sure its directivity sonogram plot would look more consistent.

Last edited:
What I love most about this thread? That I can show my wife all these pics of so much gear, hoarding and outright excess to remind her how conservative I have been. She needs to see how much "worse" it can get.

Back in the day I was a Kenwood and Pioneer receiver guy with Jensen or KLH speakers, TEAC tape deck and KW TT. I owned a pair of Sennheiser HD 414 that I used when I listened loud in the basement and went undetected by family. My friends all thought those cans were super cheap and crappy when they saw them (due to small size and minimalist build) but were shocked when they heard them. Most people had JVC or Sears (white and black) brand cans that looked like you should be flying a WWII bomber.

My summers were spent at a friends home near the beach on Long Island and he had a hand me down Fisher 400 with no case and few knobs, hooked up to hand me down Bose 901 (with EQ) and I forget what TT we used. His dad (where hand me downs came from) upstairs had MAC amp(s), NAK deck and Thorens TT also running into a newer version of the 901s. We were not allowed to touch it. (1972-1975 or so)

In the 1990's I went all HK / Denon as I had a connection to rep and got amazing deals on display units from factory. JBL bookshelf and eventually Signet bookshelf.

Most recently I began with an Anthem Integrated II (upgraded by Chris at factory in Ca but no phono), Thorens TD 150 MK II, Vandy 2Ce, using the Holman Apt pre as a phono stage only. Have since moved to CJ PV 1 > MAC 2205 > running the NAK 680zx (and soon the 600), Pioneer PL 570 (V1), AR EB101 (late model, akin to "The Turntable, worked on by Marc), Pioneer RT909, all coming out of Vandy 3A.

The 90's stuff is collecting dust (HK amp, Denon CDP, HK Receiver), the original stuff was either sold or stolen over the years and long gone. SX 949 was my last Pioneer and I knew who stole it but could do little about it in those days. That was in 1979.

Oh yea I also had a few walkmen and discmen over the years.

You have a beautiful system. I, too, am somewhat surprised at your speaker choice, but then I've never heard them, though I'd love to. Those 275s are impressive. Have you ever considered trying out an ARC pre? An SP-11 (or -10 or -9) would lead to some interesting comparisons for you to share with us. I'm not denigrating what you have at all... your stuff is beyond my paygrade, at least from the electronic component perspective. I'm very happy with the Khorns.

Your new table/arm combo looks very nice and I'm sure the sound matches appearance. Thanks for all the pics.
Hi Hal, I left of at around three years ago so I do have a lot more to add. I sure would like to see or here what you've been using over the years till today.

With respect to imaging, my concern would be for the pre-Floyd Toole speaker design approach used by JBL in the 70s and 80s as implemented in the L250. To wit - running a driver (the 5" midrange) beyond its ideal range for consistent directivity.

Toole is all about delivering consistent directivity across the entire spectrum - as am I which is one reason I've favored truly full range electrostats for forty years! Directivity falls off significantly when the driver's piston diameter exceeds the wavelength reproduced. The 5" midrange runs all the way to 5.2 kHz where the wavelength is 2.6". It is common that a tweeter will narrow its directivity at the top of its range, but the effect is gradual and usually not noticed. When, however, you transition a challenged driver to one sitting right in the middle of its sweet spot with wide dispersion, you get a discontinuity that I find noticeable. While I haven't heard the 250, I've heard other JBLs that used the same approach. Instruments that span both drivers render a somewhat peculiar "hourglass" shaped image with fundamentals in the lows and midrange reproduced normally, but with the upper midrange and lower highs comparatively shrunken only to transition (and return) to a wide perspective at the top.

If you look at current JBL designs like the LSR6332, you find that it restricts the 5 incher to 2.2 kHz before transitioning to the tweeter. I'm sure its directivity sonogram plot would look more consistent.
Thanks but please let's not have this thread drift off on some speaker debate, that's not the topic here.

Hi Hal, I left of at around three years ago so I do have a lot more to add. I sure would like to see or here what you've been using over the years till today.

Unfortunately, no (or very few) pics. But, it began with this:

upload_2016-6-17_14-37-24.png

upload_2016-6-17_14-38-32.png

and this:

upload_2016-6-17_14-41-31.png

with this:

upload_2016-6-17_14-43-47.png

That was almost twenty years ago, after divorce left me starting over. I struggled along with this anemic-sounding, bland amalgamation for almost a year, when this happened:

upload_2016-6-17_14-48-21.png

upload_2016-6-17_14-50-7.png

Well, that sounded more better, but then I met my wife, and a year or so later on my birthday she surprised me with:

upload_2016-6-17_14-53-5.png and

upload_2016-6-17_14-53-57.png and

upload_2016-6-17_14-55-1.png and

upload_2016-6-17_14-56-11.png and (to be cont'd)

cont'd:

upload_2016-6-17_14-59-49.png and
th
and

upload_2016-6-17_15-1-4.png

What a woman! What a birthday!

Then I found, at a thrift:

upload_2016-6-17_15-2-52.png grills off:

upload_2016-6-17_15-3-29.png

Even better.

Later, I traded this:

upload_2016-6-17_15-5-31.png for this:

upload_2016-6-17_15-6-31.png oh, yeah

After a few more miscellaneous additions, but mostly saving my "disposable" income and selling a few things, I made the recent additions of the Khorns and ST-70 variant, which have been pictured recently in several threads.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/whats-your-latest-audio-purchase.418419/page-164

When I heard this, I became convinced that making one big upgrade beats making six little ones that are often arguably side-ways moves anyway.

Last edited:
Awesome thread! I've got a picture or two of my first iteration of my system and my newest iterations that I'll add a bit later. Keep the good stuff coming people! :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom