The official Music score thread

Guys
When there isn't a single, not one 80's record in that closet of a "record" store (6 ft wide literally) and I happen to find "The Best of" when a record shark missed it, well that's a score for me. :banana: But I do know what you mean.

OK. Went to a yard sale and found only one record worth buying. Original Eagles 1976 pressing 7E-1084. For the whopping price of $1.

Attachments

• IMG_20160416_203302935.jpg
    IMG_20160416_203302935.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 32
I did post this in dollars, and sense, but I think most would consider a worthy buy for a couple quarters.

IMGP8473.jpg

I found a copy of Stereophile's Limited edition,Intermezzo,Work for piano by Brahm's at a garage sale for a buck.The owner said it was never played and it looks pristine.Kinda weird though 2 albums but the music is pressed on one side only.Anybody know anything about this record?

Went to a barn sale Sat. - rodent pee smell was about overwhelming - wife wasn't in long. Poked around long enough to find a box of LPs stashed along a wall. Looked at first couple - hmm Stones Sticky Fingers cover worn but vinyl very good. Lady says $10 so I grab them & head for the door.
Fortunately box was closed up & no smell.
Around 40 LPs all classic rock! Covers show a lot of wear but 75 % of the vinyl is awesome condition.
4-5 Stones - Zep - Savoy Brown... the gem of the lot... MFSL Little Feat Waiting for Columbus - looks unplayed !

My take from a visit to Rebel Rebel while in NYC this week. The store closes for good at the end of the month.
tumblr_o8tbfxYEHv1qi7c6jo1_540.jpg

$100 there doesn't go as far as it does at Jerry's. That's a first issue Aoxomoxoa up there. :D

Here's my latest thrift store CD finds-
Talking Heads- Popular Favorites Disc 2
David Byrne- Uh-Oh
The Wallflowers- Bringing Down The Horse
Gin Blossoms- Congratulations I'm Sorry
Paul Butterfiled Blues Band- "East-West" and ""The Original Lost Elektra Recordings"
Pink Floyd- "WYWH" and "Echoes"
Joni Mitchell- Clouds
Peter Gabriel- Revisited
Bruce Spirngsteen- "Live In New York City" and "Live 1975-1985"
The Beatles- The White Album" (missing disc 1)
Paul Simon- Graceland

A new customer asked about the Discogs sticker on my work van. I explained what it was and he mentioned that he was a former Sony exec from Hong Kong. Later on he informed me that if I wasn't afraid of spiders I could take a look in the back of his crawlspace for some old records that may or may not still be in there.

They were. 220 of them. Most of them are from Hong Kong and Japan. A few are from Europe and the US. Some say Hong Kong/Singapore/Malaysia. So far about 40% of the first two dozen albums versions are not listed at Discogs. I have my work cut out for me it seems.

All are mint and look unplayed. 24 of them are sealed. Most are in shrink wrap even the gatefolds because he just slit the sleeve open to remove the records.The Jackson's Live, Springstein's The River and this Joan Jett are the only two that show any cover wear but the vinyl is still near mint. I cannot find a single mark on any record so far. He told me that none of it was his kind of music and most had only one or two songs played before he them he put them in boxes. He didn't recognize most of the artists so he he tested each record to determine if he liked the style. He doesn't like western pop music. He said that they were all free and they were supposed to be thrown in the trash when he moved to Canada but somehow the two boxes of records ended up in the container Sony rented to transport his belongings here.

Here is the first 15 or so I pulled from the front of the first box and a picture of a promo stamp;

004.jpg

007.jpg

Last edited:
Great score at a thrift store today. $25 for all these:

Steely Dan can't buy a thrill
Chicago VIII still with its iron-on inside
James Gang rides again 1st edition with Bolero
Beatles white album #1649096 with poster and photos
Beatles lonely hearts band
Beatles Abby road
CSN&Y
CSN&Y Deja vu
Bob Dylan the times are a-changin still shrink wrapped but opened

And last but not least......this one!

Anyone else besides me know what this double is?

image.jpeg

I'm very happy with the additions to my collection today

So this is a belated score. I am in the process of cataloging my 250 (ish) records on Discogs and discovered that I have a copy of an original UK pressing of Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures with the textured cover. Paid around $8 (Can) years ago and now it sells for around $100.00
:) Nice!

This afternoon my wife, stepson and I stopped in at our local Salvation Army looking for some "found objects" for a sculpture course the lad is taking at uni. I just had a wee peek at the record area (usually pretty lame of late) and realized I'd hit a classical musician's mother lode.

I've sorted the LPs by general timeframe and the following is a listing of just part of the lot. There is another pile I've not typed up from the 19th century back to the Renaissance that is even bigger! There are seven nice boxed sets in the bunch. All records are in brilliant condition. So much fascinating music! There are a few works I already have recordings of, but only one I have an exact duplicate for, the "Stratas Sings Weill". That being one of my favourite recordings that I play often I am happy to have backup. I asked if they would do a bulk sale to me as there were so many contemporary classical recordings that few would be interested in and they ended up being more generous than I even would have suggested. Let's just say that they came out to less than 50¢ per title including the sets!

Canadian

1) Rivka Golani-Erdesz – Viola Nouveau
2) Ayorama Woodwind Quintet
3) Judy Loman – The Crown of Ariadne
4) John Rea, Bruce Mather – Com-possession
5) Sir Ernest MacMillan Quartet in C minor etc. Amadeua Quartet
6) Vivier/Orch. Metropolitain -Pelletier etc.
7) The Original McIntosh – Diana McIntosh
8) Quintette a vent du Quebec
9) Anthologie of Canadian Music – Bruce Mather
10)Firewind – Burke, Prevost,Rosen
11) Montreal Postmoderne
12) Impact – Johnston, Campbell
13) Caron/Perron/Dawson
14) The York Winds – Cherny,Heiden,Rea,Carter
15) Gropus 7
16) Canadian Folk Song Heritage – TSO/Feldbrill
17) The York Winds – Folia
18) River of Fire - Cherney etc.

20th Century

19) Xenakis – ST/4, Atrees, Nomos Alpha
20) Varese
21) Carter – String Quartets 1,2
22) Carter – Double Concerto for Harpsichord and two Chamber Orchestras, Duo for Violin and Piano
23) Pears/London Sinfonietta – Lutoslawski,Berkley,Bedford
24) Concord String Quartet – Barber,Rochberg
25) Schoenberg – Gurrelieder
26) Ives Symphony No-3 etc. - NY Phil/Bernstein/Ozawa
27) An American Anthology – Meriel and Peter Dickinson
28) Ives – Tom Plaunt
29) Schostakowitsch – Symphonie No.10 Berlin/Karajan
30) Prokofiev- Romeo and Juliet – National Symphony.Rostropovich
31) Stravinsky – The Soldier’s Tale – Various
32) Concord String Quartet – Rochberg Quintet for Pinao and string quartet
33) Stratas Sings Weill
34) Walton – Facade
35) Leovendie – Various
36) Takemitsu -Quatrain II, Water Ways, Waves
37) R. Strauss – Don Juan etc. - Detroit/Dorati
38) Stockhausen, Penderscki etc. -Rome Symphony/Poussseur
39) Netherlands Saxophone Quartet
40) Rodrigo – Yepes- Aranjuez, Gentilhombre
41) Britten- Four Sea Interludes and Passacaglia from Peter Grimes etc. London Symphony/Previn
42) Chamber ensemble – West German Radio, Symphony of South-west Radio Baden-Baden
43) Strawinsky – Le Sacre du Printemps – Berlin.Karajan
44) Stravinsky Conducts Stravinsky – CBC Orchestra/Columbia Symphony, Chamber Orchestra
45) Boulez Conducts Bartok – Concerto for Orchestra – New York Phil
46) New Music for Chorus 1 – Schola Cantorum of Stuttgart/Gottwald
47) Lukas Foss - New York Philomusica Chamber Ensemble
48) Donald Erb – Music for Instruments and electronic sounds
49) Cleveland Composer’s Guild – Koch, Timm, Erb
50) Composer’s Voice – Donemus Amsterdam – Emmer, Janssen, Bons, Oosterveld
51) Ton de Leeuw – Invocations
52) Stravinsky – Petrouchka – Orchestre des Cento Soli/Albert
53) Stravinsky – Le Sacre du Printemps – OSM/Dutoit
54) Stravinsky – various – Canadian Chamber Ensemble
55) Bartok --The Six String Quartets – Hungarian String Quartet
56) The World of Charles Ives – NY Phil/Bernstein
57) The Music of Poulenc – Makas/Makas
58) Copland – Billy the Kid, Rodeo – Dallas/Johanos
59) Babbitt/Powell – Sequoia String Quartet and various
60) Martino/Babitt – Group for Contemporary Music/Slooenberger
61) Bolcom – St. Paul Chamber Orch/Davies
62) Inedits – Ballif – Ensemble Polytechnique/Ravier

Found 17 cd's at the Sal on Friday. Hardly ever look at the cd's because of time constraints. Among them were 4 Sufjan Stevens, 5 Laura Viers, some Belle and Sebastion and Tegan and Sara. $1 each.

Recent scores include;

CD;
Sanyo Japan for US Genesis Wind and Wuthering
Natalia Oreiro - self titled and Tu Veneno
Peter Criss - Out of Control
Peter Criss - Let Me Rock You
Joe Maphis - Fire On The Strings
Cowboy Copas - Mister Country Music

Vinyl;
All early Accept LPs German/French/Belgian pressings
Joan Jett - Private press debut/Blackheart Records [EX upgrade from VG- copy]
Charlie Daniels Band - Honey in the Rock
Rose Maddox - Queen of the West w/Merle Haggard and Emmylou Harris
Crazy Joe and the Variable Speed Band [Ace Frehley related] upgraded cover.

A new customer asked about the Discogs sticker on my work van. I explained what it was and he mentioned that he was a former Sony exec from Hong Kong. Later on he informed me that if I wasn't afraid of spiders I could take a look in the back of his crawlspace for some old records that may or may not still be in there.

They were. 220 of them. Most of them are from Hong Kong and Japan. A few are from Europe and the US. Some say Hong Kong/Singapore/Malaysia. So far about 40% of the first two dozen albums versions are not listed at Discogs. I have my work cut out for me it seems.

All are mint and look unplayed. 24 of them are sealed. Most are in shrink wrap even the gatefolds because he just slit the sleeve open to remove the records.The Jackson's Live and Springstein's The River are the only two that show any cover wear but the vinyl is still near mint. I cannot find a single mark on any record so far. He told me that none of it was his kind of music and most had only one or two songs played before he them he put them in boxes. He didn't recognize most of the artists so he he tested each record to determine if he liked the style. He doesn't like western pop music. He said that they were all free and they were supposed to be thrown in the trash when he moved to Canada but somehow the two boxes of records ended up in the container Sony rented to transport his belongings here.

Here is the first 15 or so I pulled from the front of the first box and a picture of a promo stamp;

View attachment 749453

View attachment 749454

You win at life!

My latest modest score:

Music_Score_1_zpszj8cmqek.jpg

Music_Score_2_zpsnzlbivqj.jpg

The Rolling Stones Hot Rocks 1964-1971
2002 ABKCO Stereo Hybrid SACD, discs pressed in Japan, digipac printed in USA
$4.25 at local used record store

Getz/Gilberto
$0.99 at local thrift store

Chicago Transit Authority
$0.99 at local thrift store

Considering both Hot Rocks and CTA are double albums, that's a lot of good listening for $6.23. Of course, the real prize is the out of print Hot Rocks SACD. I already have the EU pressing, but this one is in better condition, and at $4.25 for a Stones SACD, I couldn't possibly walk away without buying it.

Last edited:
I just got back from a 1200 mile road trip to visit my brother and he gave me about 30 lp's including about 10 sealed from the factory!
I got home and just had to pop one on the TT, Dire Straits of course.. I was mesmerized! That thing has been waiting in there for 40 years and I cranked it up! :banana:Dire Straits.jpg
Untitled (2).jpg

Back
Top Bottom