Green Or Kirwan Or Welch Or Buckingham-Nicks?

I liked the Green, Spenser, Kirwan, and Welch periods. I stopped buying Fleetwood Mac albums when they were taken over by the Buckingham/Nicks middle of the road music. Mid '70's, imo, the worst couple of years in rock music.

I always associated them with Rumours. Discovered Peter Green. I really like all the early Fleetwood Mac and the Peter Green CDs. Most people forgot who wrote Black Magic Woman. It's all good. I appreciate the different phases. I will have to take a closer look at Welch / Kirwan.​

Usually prefer pre BN-era
... I started listening to them around Future Games, Then Play On, Bare Trees, Kiln House, then went to older stuff ... Many years later, I heard BN era - it's ok, but much different. I have seen Stevie solo ... She's nice, but not Mac

Last edited:
All the different incarnations of F-M have their merits-the earlier stuff was more Blues oriented and much different than what came after- "Mystery To Me" featuring Bob Welch is an LP that we liked to play a lot back in the day. As an album,"Buckingham/Nicks" is seriously underrated,IMO. No question the band went more in the Pop Music,Singer/Songwriter genre with the addition of Lindsey and Stevie,but to me,that didn't make it bad-"Rumours" was one of my go-to cassettes when I took girls out on dates. To quote Estring above,I guess the music would have to fit the mood-or vice versa......

Hard call. Each incarnation had qualities I really liked -- from the dreamy reverie of "Albatross" to the bluesy drive of "Oh Well" or "Station Man" to the introspective lilt of "Hypnotized" or "Sentimental Lady". I think that they reached the zenith of the well-crafted pop tune in the Buckingham/Nicks era and I can certainly empathize when fans of earlier work couldn't quite follow them there, but there's no denying that the chemistry Stevie and Lindsey added resulted in some of the best popular music of the 1970s.

That said, I think my favorite album is Mystery to Me. But I might tell you different tomorrow.

I'm not a huge fan of boiler plate blues imitations by those of the Caucasian persuasion like Ten Years After, early Fleetwood Mac, Savoy Brown, Stevie Ray Vaughn, that goofy guy with the long hair, etc., etc., etc. Unless they transform it into something original like Led Zeppelin, Yardbirds, and Fleetwood Mac in the peculiar case of The Green Manalishi it's just a big yawn IMHO. :boring:

Soooo ... Green Manalishi is one of the best songs off all time and my favorite Fleetwood Mac song. My second favorite is Little Lies sung by Christine Perfect (?) in the late 1980's. After that it's a mix of the Yuppie stuff from Rumours, etc. and stuff like Hypnotized, Dragon Fly, whatever.

Green/Kirwan, then Welch.

I'm not a huge fan of boiler plate blues imitations by those of the Caucasian persuasion like Ten Years After, early Fleetwood Mac, Savoy Brown, Stevie Ray Vaughn, that goofy guy with the long hair, etc., etc., etc. Unless they transform it into something original like Led Zeppelin, Yardbirds, and Fleetwood Mac in the peculiar case of The Green Manalishi it's just a big yawn IMHO. :boring:

Soooo ... Green Manalishi is one of the best songs off all time and my favorite Fleetwood Mac song. My second favorite is Little Lies sung by Christine Perfect (?) in the late 1980's. After that it's a mix of the Yuppie stuff from Rumours, etc. and stuff like Hypnotized, Dragon Fly, whatever.

Not to feed the troll if that's what it is. If you don't like TYA, Savoy Brown - fair enough, but calling Stevie Ray a boiler plate blues imitation would have Albert King telling you to quit talking out of yer ass man.

Last edited:
Green/Kirwan, then Welsh.

Not to feed the troll if that's what it is. If you don't like TYA, Savoy Brown - fair enough, but calling Stevie Ray a boiler plate blues imitation would have Albert King telling you to quit talking out of yer ass man.

So what?

I was quite taken by the Buckingham/Nicks album when it was released but for me, the end of Fleetwood Mac began when they joined. Just a whole different band from that point on.

I really like the early stuff, but there are a small handful of Buckingham era songs I like. Lindsey is a hell-of-a guitar player. I remember back in the 70's when the two joined Fleetwood Mac and a buddy of mine told me about it. He said that gal sounds like "sheep-bleep" I laughed loudly and passed the joint back to him...

Let us enjoy some early Mac!

Check out Barbie... Oh yeah!

Last edited:
I remember back in the 70's when the two joined Fleetwood Mac and a buddy of mine told me about it. He said that gal sounds like "sheep-bleep" I laughed loudly and passed the joint back to him...

Must have been the paraquat.

Back
Top Bottom