Advice on setting operating point?

Alright, substantial progress has been made but I am in need of more advice. Hopefully someone will still be watching this thread!

I completely built and biased the amp with 430V plates, 325V screens, 20mA cathode current per output tube with no input signal. However, the output of my rectifier is actually 495V, so I dropped this to 430V with several high-watt resistors (overall resistance: 650 ohms). I'm worried when I actually start driving the amp, the current through the large resistor(s) will make my plate voltage fluctuate. Also I don't know what the current draw will be at max load, but if it's 2 or 3 times the quiescent value I'm going to need very high-watt resistors, and my plate voltage will be way too low.

I really don't want to pay for a different power transformer. I suppose my only option is to try to use high-wattage zener diodes? Or am I worrying too much about the 650 ohm resistor?

You may want to look at a rectifier with higher voltage drop? + resistor you may be ok.

No problemo.
I also used a bucking box to lower the AC primary a bit. With the multiplying factor it does help quiet a bit.

Yes, I have had good results with a bucking arrangement plus a 5R4G rectifier. Better than a big resistor.

Back
Top Bottom