The Yamaha A-S2100

man i love that amp! i just wish there was a place you could just go and listen to that one and the competition. it isn't fair!
-
ever heard the rogue audio pharaoh?

HiFi dealers are doing their best to NOT even be aware of the Yamaha line. Which means they are very aware but not interested in having 8,000 amps bested. Or 30,000 Sim Audio shown up.

Wanted to reply here for anyone considering buying and is reading up on reviews of this amp. This thread helped me make my decision to buy the A-S2100, and I'll share my impressions.

1. I never really knew the definition of "bass control" until hearing this amp. I use a 15" Velodyne sub, and listen to electronic music. Man can this amp push clean solid bass. Friends have noticed the improvement.
2. Stereo separation is unreal. The discrete circuits really do make a difference; it's made my speakers sound at least 5-10 feet wider.
3. Build quality is top notch. Something I'll have for years without worries (a major factor why I didn't go with the Rogue Audio Chronus. Tubes are too finicky...)
4. Headphone amp is better than my Schiit Valhalla. Listening to vinyl was a pleasure... and dead silent, which leads me to the phone amp...
5. Phono amp is not just a cheap add-in. On my AT150MLX at least, the separation and clarity is a major step up from my former discrete phono amp. Listening with headphones is dead silent backgrounds, very little surface noise, and well balanced presentation.

Value: So is it worth it? How does it compare to others?
I was previously using a Yamaha RX-V1500 mid-range HT amp. Immediate impressions when swapping in the 2100 weren't earth shattering; I didn't know what to expect from a 3x priced amplifier. If anything, it speaks to Yamaha's mid-range amplifiers, which are truly great values.

I found this amp online for $2500. At that price, yes, it's a great value. The improvements are all in the details: the low end control, the separation, the phono and headphone amps. Electronic music and Rock sound GREAT with this amp (due to the power and bass control). Jazz on vinyl is good, but not the revelation I was expecting. Maybe it's highlighting the deficiencies in my stylus...

If you want a solid amp that will last a lifetime and never give you a reason to look for another amp, then the A-S2100 is the amp to get. I'm extremely happy with it and you could be too! :)

I watched this thread with interest. I purchased the Yamaha A-S2000 after auditioning both that and the A-S1000. The 1000 was terrific but when comparing directly, the 2000 afforded more resolution in the midrange and highs. I then began the traditional problem of finding weaknesses in my other components. First was my sdesire to replace my PSAudio DAC as it's output power was too great for the Yamaha's sensitive inputs. I had issues finding a DAC that afforded great performance while not overpowering the limited input capacity of the A-sS2000. I selected the Benchmark DAC2 after reading many reviews and in consultation with the manufacturer. I was reassured by Benchmark that it was very adjustable and the output would not clip the A-S2000. It was a great choice that was further improved when I switched from RCA outs to the balanced which brought immensely better clarity and seemingly dynamic range. I then moved ahead and replaced my Snell EIII speakers with the new GoldenEar Triton 1. I think I've done all I can in my budget now. The dialog around the A-S2100 makes me wonder what audio differences I might realize were I ever to hear the 2100 in my setup. I am very pleased with the current configuration but I think my striving for perfection always has me wondering. Does the 2100 have a different sound than the 2000? Frankly, I never feel like I am missing something with the current system but the MOSFET idea of the 2100 got me wondering.

So I've had the 2100 here for a couple weeks now but have held off writing anything about it as I wanted to let the initial excitement die down. The verdict? I like it even more than I did when it first arrived!

It is magnificent and exceptional - slightly warm through the mids, nice sparkle in the highs and it has the best bass reproduction of ANY amp I have owned. It is a smooth customer...loud doesn't really seem loud till you look at the meters and realize you should be in pain, but no, just musical bliss.

I had a Luxman L-507u before the Yamaha and to compare I would say the Lux is slightly more dynamic and a tad more exciting while the 2100 smoother, more refined and musical. The 507 had some big bass but it was a bit boomy compared to the 2100. The bass on the Yamaha is tighter, deeper and I can seem to really pick out the bass tones better as oppose to the Luxman. Pick your poison, both are good but I am glad I sold off the Lux as it was 2x more expensive. The 2100 is a great amp and one of the best I've had.

UPDATE: I didn’t mention anything about the built-in phono stage or headphone amp because at the time I simply had not tried them yet. I am between TT’s right now but the phono via the budget model Rega I am borrowing from a friend sounds pretty good to me. I have not compared it to an external stage and the Yamaha’s limited settings probably requires careful cartridge selection but it sounds no worse than my previous amp’s built-in phono stage.

Headphone amp, well, it sounds great! Much better than the A-S1000 I have at work and every bit as good as my vintage CR-1020. The multiple gain settings are a plus should you have hard to drive headphones.

What is the power rating at 8 ohms?

Wow! What a stellar piece of work.....got mine today, a refurb unit. Arrived as mint new. Instantly blown away by how great it sounds.

Going to hook up my Sony TA A1ES and Sansui Alpha 607MR side by side to do a comparison. I suspect it won't be close.

Hi. New to the forum. Have had my Yamaha a-s2100 for 30 days now, so far very impressed with the unit. Although I have discovered a slight thump in the right channel when I turn it on or off.Left channel is dead quiet. Have checked all my connections, and tried other speakers. It also does it when I turn the speaker selector on and off also. Wondering if anybody else has experienced this issue . Thanks

I had a Luxman L-507u before the Yamaha and to compare I would say the Lux is slightly more dynamic and a tad more exciting while the 2100 smoother, more refined and musical. The 507 had some big bass but it was a bit boomy compared to the 2100. The bass on the Yamaha is tighter, deeper and I can seem to really pick out the bass tones better as oppose to the Luxman. Pick your poison, both are good but I am glad I sold off the Lux as it was 2x more expensive. The 2100 is a great amp and one of the best I've had.

Very interesting comparison. I am building a setup right now, using a Luxman 505u as the preamp/woofer amplifier, with Luxman vintage MB-3045 mono blocks for mids and highs. (bi-amping some B&W 804s) Considering this amp is doing the bass, I am very intrigued by how you said the bass is tighter and deeper, with better tonality. I like the all-luxman setup but now Im tempted to go this route!

Attachments

• IMG_8880.jpeg
    IMG_8880.jpeg
    70.1 KB · Views: 58
Hi. New to the forum. Have had my Yamaha a-s2100 for 30 days now, so far very impressed with the unit. Although I have discovered a slight thump in the right channel when I turn it on or off.Left channel is dead quiet. Have checked all my connections, and tried other speakers. It also does it when I turn the speaker selector on and off also. Wondering if anybody else has experienced this issue . Thanks
Try posting this in the Yamaha forum, you may get more 2100 owners eyes on your question.:D

I just picked up the A-S2100 and i am totally blow away by it.

I'm using it with a Sonos conect (to rega) / Rega DAC-R / Audio Technica ATLP5 tt / Kudos x2 speakers - it sounds amazing.

I had a Rega Elex-r amp before which i was pretty disappointed with for low mids / bass. It just had no depth whatsoever - nothing but high mids, raspy and made your ears hurt after a few hours of listening.

I was starting to blame to speakers, but i can confirm they are brilliant.

The bass and depth you get from this amp is massive, but not horrible and over the top, its controlled and sounds brilliant.

Recently picked up the AS2100 and the matching cd player. All I can say is Wow! Not sure why Yamaha high end products are snubbed? Currently listening to Paul Simon "Graceland" and the depth is amazing with full tight bass and holographic imaging. The highs seem a little recessed from my older amp but then I suppose these units need to break in? Today is the first day I was able to listen to them. It's been a great lunch hour treat! Loving it so far.

Recently picked up the AS2100 and the matching cd player. All I can say is Wow! Not sure why Yamaha high end products are snubbed? Currently listening to Paul Simon "Graceland" and the depth is amazing with full tight bass and holographic imaging. The highs seem a little recessed from my older amp but then I suppose these units need to break in? Today is the first day I was able to listen to them. It's been a great lunch hour treat! Loving it so far.

Yeah I've noticed on mine the highs are a little recessed. It's certainly a bass heavy amp with modern electronic music but for stuff like fleetwood Mac the bass seems to be pretty much perfect.

I'm running the amp with the bass knob between 10pm and 11pm and the treble at about 1pm.

I think my kudos x2 speakers are quite bass heavy anyway. What speakers are you using? I'm thinking this amp would be really suited to a speaker which isn't bass heavy.

About breaking in... I've probably used mine for 35 hours now and noticed no real difference... Sometimes it can take a while however I'm not expecting a massive change.

Yeah I've noticed on mine the highs are a little recessed. It's certainly a bass heavy amp with modern electronic music but for stuff like fleetwood Mac the bass seems to be pretty much perfect.

I'm running the amp with the bass knob between 10pm and 11pm and the treble at about 1pm.

I think my kudos x2 speakers are quite bass heavy anyway. What speakers are you using? I'm thinking this amp would be really suited to a speaker which isn't bass heavy.

About breaking in... I've probably used mine for 35 hours now and noticed no real difference... Sometimes it can take a while however I'm not expecting a massive change.
Now that the amp has settled in, I think the highs are better. The amp seems fairly neutral, so if you play a recording that is not done well, then the recording will sound as it really is. So far, I have kept the treble and bass controls at zero.

I currently use Quad 22L2 speakers which go down to 30hz so it can handle this amp just fine. No problems with the low end. This amp can grip these speakers. My last amp was a NuPrime IDA-8 and it could not grip the speakers the way the Yamaha can. I am glad to have made this change. It really is a powerful yet pleasing amp.

Yes I have this also. But mine is in the left side and right is quiet. I get a small "puff" powering up or off. Left only. Black A-S2100

Yes I have this also. But mine is in the left side and right is quiet. I get a small "puff" powering up or off. Left only. Black A-S2100
Hi thanks for the reply. Since my post I had the unit replaced for another 2100. This unit does the exact same thing except now it's the left channel. Called Yamaha Corp. explained what's going on - Yamaha says it should be quiet on both channels on start up and shut off. Unit being replaced for my third time.I'll let you know how this one goes.wont show up for 4 to 6 weeks. Hope other people will chime in in the meantime.

Hi thanks for the reply. Since my post I had the unit replaced for another 2100. This unit does the exact same thing except now it's the left channel. Called Yamaha Corp. explained what's going on - Yamaha says it should be quiet on both channels on start up and shut off. Unit being replaced for my third time.I'll let you know how this one goes.wont show up for 4 to 6 weeks. Hope other people will chime in in the meantime.

Sorry to hear you have problems with the Yammies. Mine is working just fine, turns on and is dead quiet. I think shipping takes it toll on equipment. I have had several pieces of gear that were damaged due to mishandling. Maybe Yamaha can ship via a different carrier?

Does anyone know the difference between the A-S2100 and the A-S1100? The specs I've found are identical. I think the 2100 weighs 2/10 of a lb. more.
EDIT: my bad -- the 2100 has balanced inputs, the 1100 doesn't. The 2100 is a little quieter, with a stronger headphone output and the phono section has slightly better specs. So, answered my own question:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Shame a few of you are experiencing turn on thumps. It seems this is a common issue among others with the as2100. I am really debating between this and the Rega Elicit. Both seems well made and eager to sound like music. I'm curious where you guys bought yours from as there seems to be a specific seller on that auction site who always has them for a very good price compared to other retailers. I'm torn here.

Back
Top Bottom