What Vintage Speakers Would You Buy If Money Were No Object?

Like several others here, I'm pretty happy right now. KEF 107's for rock/large scale/home theater and Quad ESL-57's for more intimate recordings or low-volume late-night listening. Nothing in particular in mind that I'd rather have, at least for "vintage" speakers...of course I still have lots that I've yet to hear, so who knows...full range Apogees, JBL L300's, and some full range single drivers (Altec, Tannoy, Western Electric) come to mind.

I like a few;
ADS/BRAUN Model LV-1020
1971_lv1020_offen.jpg

Grundig
grundig_super_hifi_box_860_professional_01.jpg

Philips 545 MFB
blogPhilips%2B545%2BMFB.jpg

I would have the Pioneer Corp make another set of HPM 200's for me. The High Polymer Film they invented (hpm) is amazing stuff. The sound of the high/ low tweeters is excellent.

The material and patent now sits idle and its a real shame and huge loss for anyone having to retire their speakers, or degrade the sound using alternative methods.

Attachments

• 879690635_tp.jpg
    879690635_tp.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 879690629_tp.jpg
    879690629_tp.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 86
  • s-l400.jpg
    s-l400.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 78
I would have the Pioneer Corp make another set of HPM 200's for me. The High Polymer Film they invented (hpm) is amazing stuff. The sound of the high/ low tweeters is excellent.

The material and patent now sits idle and its a real shame and huge loss for anyone having to retire their speakers, or degrade the sound using alternative methods.
+1
If we take care of our tweeters, the HPM film supposedly does not age or become brittle with time.
They still sound stellar.

Hartsfields for me too, or EV Patricians. It's surprising quite a few of the speakers mentioned are within even a modest budget if you look hard and do your homework.

Paragon...... My first bite of stereo hi-fi was at the old Allied hi-fi store on Western Ave. in Chi.
I was bitten and have never been the same.
It was in maybe 1958(I was 15) and my dad and I had gone there to get some batteries for our Philco tube portable radio for an upcoming vacation.
I walked through the store as my dad waited for the order. One setup was the Paragon with unknown electronics playing some really exotic music.
I can still hear it.

ElectroVoice Interface D's, possible Watt Puppies, Tannoy Royal- that should be enough....for now
DC

I like a few;
ADS/BRAUN Model LV-1020
1971_lv1020_offen.jpg

Grundig
grundig_super_hifi_box_860_professional_01.jpg

Philips 545 MFB
blogPhilips%2B545%2BMFB.jpg

If money was no object and we are talking Vintage W.German Braun ,Id source a pair of their venerable L-1000 studio monitors
Luckily I own 1 of the 100 pairs only ever produced..13 drivers per cabinet,incredible on tubes

hunter2014-03-17 08.04.15.jpg

Attachments

• 2014-03-16 08.28.34.jpg
    2014-03-16 08.28.34.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 63
  • 2014-03-16 08.27.42.jpg
    2014-03-16 08.27.42.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 68
Infinity Quantum 2's for me, but would need to be as new.
I have spent many days and hours listening to these in the past and I like the overall size, simplicity and looks.
When these are powered with the correct amount of clean power they sound truly natural and amazing.
The size of them makes them easy to move around and they will sound great in virtually any size room.
Their looks are timeless and extremely well made.

image.jpeg

Dreamed of many and recently got a couple that have me rethinking my directions. I got some ADS L1290's I always wanted but also picked up a pair of PSB Stratus Golds's. Now it turns out I may have a chance on some Apogee Centaurs. In one form or another I'd always craved these or similar models. Are they my dream speakers? No because my vintage dreams system always began and ended with the Huge Infinities. Otherwise so far so good.

Hartsfields for me too, or EV Patricians. It's surprising quite a few of the speakers mentioned are within even a modest budget if you look hard and do your homework.

It's one thing to acquire a vintage set, but to get them in like new, fully restored, is a bit more on the initial price, and/or a lot of time and effort.

Back
Top Bottom