Will a Lexus SC 300 appease my mid-life crisis ?

You guys are making me feel poor. :p

The SC300 is scheduled for delivery monday afternoon. I'm excited.

Here's the 'bad' side, not too shabby.

sc300 2nd pic.jpg

I happen to like it!
Enjoy!
While 400+ hp is cool and fun, unless you are pulling 2 tons, 99.99 percent of the time 250 with a little low end torque is more than you ever need.
Oh while I was pulling botrytis's chain a bit , I happen to think Zs are cool (though there were a few dud years (late 70s maybe)

Looks good, I don't love the factory wheel treatment but that can easily be modified if one want's to do that.
I think this has spurred me to start looking again. It's hard to pinpoint just one car for me, it's more of a game of opportunity seeing what
happens along that I can't pass up, looking at a 70 Chevelle with a redone interior and clean body that needs a motor and as so it happens a buddy of mine is getting ready to part out a truck with a 5 year old fuel injected 350 crate motor with about 15 to 20,000 miles on it. Left it sitting outside for over a year through an Illinois winter, stuck a charged battery in it and barely touched the key and it started. Ah fun with cars!

I'm rim shopping. I need different seats, too, because my head rubs the liner when the sun roof is closed.

I'm thinking this wheel would be the one :idea:
sc rim 1.jpg

Meh...pic didn't work out. Anyway...BBS style gold spokes...no extra lug holes.

Last edited:
I'm assuming you don't want expensive 3 piece wheels so here's some suggestions. simplicity goes a long way for a car with such nice lines

I'm a big fan of gunmetal grey/silver/and light copper on white cars. most of these wheels come in several colors.

here's some inspiration

PS don't get black wheels they are played out on white IMO

rota torque
7smll.jpg

xxr 521

278243_521947081162895_1308737955_o.jpg

enkei rpf1
3762101377_83d97b2f83.jpg

xxr 530

lexus-sc-300-1998-7.jpg

I had a pearl blue Lexus SC 400. It was the best car I've ever owned-Looks, ride, prestige, performance, luxury etc.
Take yours to a Toyota dealer for service instead of Lexus (hit me for a $75 wiper blade).
A drunk totaled mine. I should have regrabbed it as a salvage.
You'll be smiling for years.
Good luck.

I'm assuming you don't want expensive 3 piece wheels so here's some suggestions. simplicity goes a long way for a car with such nice lines

I'm a big fan of gunmetal grey/silver/and light copper on white cars. most of these wheels come in several colors.

here's some inspiration

PS don't get black wheels they are played out on white IMO

rota torque
7smll.jpg

xxr 521

278243_521947081162895_1308737955_o.jpg

enkei rpf1
3762101377_83d97b2f83.jpg

xxr 530

lexus-sc-300-1998-7.jpg

That's what I'm talking about. Seven months ago, I missed buying a Mk3 Supra with XXR 521 rims. The Supra was white and the rims were gold. I was smitten by the color scheme. Scroll down thru this thread to see pics. I'm not sure I want fake rivets. I definitely can't afford true 3 piece rims.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/any-luv-for-the-early-90s-toyota-supra.697516/

I'm thinking rota torque in gold, because the emblems on the sc300 are gold.

rota torque gold.jpg

I'll see if I can find gold colored rotors, even though the gold wears off the contact area.

Meh...pic didn't work out. Anyway...BBS style gold spokes...no extra lug holes.

A classic look. Come on over to the German side! :)

One word of warning - those mesh style BBS wheels are a royal female dog to keep clean. A nice simple 5 spoke is much easier on the fingers. If you're OK with that, then go for it - the BBS LM is one of those wheels that will NEVER go out of style. (My personal vote for "nicest looking coupe ever" would be an old BMW E9 3.0CSL with some silver-grey centered LMs on it, or maybe some Alpina wheels)

great choice, those are the wheels I have on my WRX, in 17s flat black tho. I wish they were a gun metal or gold now though

HgpJcnS.jpg

5p1OF3f.jpg
Sweet Subaru ! My sister bought a new Forrester a year ago. I'm impressed with that vehicle; the brakes are amazing. I avoided hitting a deer just by stomping on the brakes. The ABS had the tires at max traction, the tires were just barely complaining. 70 mph down to 10 mph in about 80 feet.

That is more of a mid life crisis car than ANY Lexus ever was or will be.

That one is heavily modified and tuned. I don't think the average yokel would spend more to tune the car than it cost to buy. Also, your reliability just went down the shit hole.

Sigh. :(

I think that Lexus can be one mean-ass vehicle. Hope to see you take it where you want it, wheels, stereo, whatever. And that motor....dear god, my friend has that in his Supra, and the hp those can produce is absurd. Hope you enjoy it to the fullest.

Will a Lexus SC 300 appease my mid-life crisis ?

Probably. So would a Prius and a couple of hookers. Helluva lot cheaper, too.:biggrin:

This, and some spirited country 2-lane excursions, is how I used my mid-life crisis car:

IMG00063.jpg

I just ordered my first major mod parts...JDM buckets seats from a Supra (or Soarer as they're called in Japan).

My head hits the roof of the SC300. I checked into the problem before I bought the car. Supra seats from the same year bolt right in, and lower my head 2 inches (according to my research). By using seats imported from Japan, I'm getting a manual adjust 'bride seat' on the driver's side. I'm shedding 50 lbs, exactly where I need to, in my quest to counter-balance the driver's weight.

I recharged the AC and it's working great. The whole climate control system is superior to any vehicle I've ever owned.

I'm luvin' this car.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom