Lucked out on a Lance Cochrane signature cake pan tube amp...

Mr. Soundman

AK Member
Bought this little guy a while back and didnt know it was handcrafted by Lance Cochrane, who I found out lives close to me, until I removed the bottom cover and found his custom note and signature on it. I just got some new old stock tubes to run through it tonight. Im really lucky to have this piece of art made by Lance! 20160719_203057.jpg

It looks as if the pan made a few cakes in the past, before being called to audio duties. Lots of caps for that power supply.

Awesome find! Looks like a good build too. The thought of a cake pan as a chassis would never have occurred to me--I have seen wooden cigar boxes used as chassis, but that is really cool.

Thanks for all the kind words fellow AK'ers!!!

To Dandy:
Yeah it has baked it's fair share, lol. I think Lance doubled up on the caps and ran them in parralel to multiply the capacitance, with a low ESL.

To savatage1973:
Thank you! It is my best find yet. And Lance did a great build on it.:D
I got it paired with some vintage Realistic 8" paper cone sealed walnut cabs with 1" paper tweeters. Super efficient and perfect for this low wattage tube amp. Trying different tube and solid state pre-amps with it. Going to tube roll with it tomorrow night after work.

Yep, I remember that one. It's a little single ended job. The guy I made it for had a big one but his dog had a big meaty tail that kept whacking the tubes when it went by. He needed something smaller that would sit out of the way of the tail.
He finally found some ADS speakers at a thrift shop, went home theater, and this ended up in his closet. I'm glad it's being used now. Efficient speakers are most definitely the way to go. If you ever have any questions, just drop me a line.

Lance Cochrane

Yep, I remember that one. It's a little single ended job. The guy I made it for had a big one but his dog had a big meaty tail that kept whacking the tubes when it went by. He needed something smaller that would sit out of the way of the tail.
He finally found some ADS speakers at a thrift shop, went home theater, and this ended up in his closet. I'm glad it's being used now. Efficient speakers are most definitely the way to go. If you ever have any questions, just drop me a line.

Lance Cochrane

Thanks Lance!
I will do that and we have a mutual friend, his name is Peter Needham and he used to live right down the street from you before you moved to your recent place. He lives right down the street from me. He speaks very highly of you. And said he would introduce me to you sometime. I would be honored. Thanks for building this amp! I really like how it sounds, great job. Look forward to meeting and talking tubes with you.

Neal

Lance Cochrane

+1 on efficient speakers. I now run ALTEC VOTT A7-8s, and enjoy them, and the SE amps that will easily play them. Love it, that you signed the insides after hand building it. Bravo.

Dowto1000

Last edited:
Great find sir, never heard of one till now, so ya can teach old dogs..........
And to think I threw all those cake pans away.

Back
Top Bottom