New challenge, smokers 800-C aquisition

One thing I would check too: with a power switch THAT blown up, I would verify that the power transformer is still good, and that this unit was not the subject of a lightening strike. I hate to mention that thought, but the usual and typical power switch failure simply does not blow up and (apparently) catch fire in the manner that this one appears to have done.

Dave

The power switch has been bypassed at some point, and the previous owner did have it up and running. I have spare iron laying around here also if need be.

Hi everyone I am the fellow that sold Steve the 800C I admit I failed to mention the heavy smokers house it set in when I sold it. A mistake on my part and not one I am going to do again soon, not sure why I didn't other then sheer absent mindness I usually do. It had been sitting in a non smoking environment for over a year before I sold it but that obviously did not help much, I did not notice the smell myself since I am also a smoker is likely why for a non smoker it probablly stinks. Of course that is no excuse for failing to mention it. As to the power switch issue I never noticed it, when I tested it other then I found it odd after I had turned the receiver off it stayed on but the sound stopped, I assumed then that it was most likely some sort of clever feature that Fisher had for instant sound when you turned it back on again via the switch. I brought it up on a variac listened to it in AM but it seemed FM was not working right so I asked about it in the forum and it was brought to my attention what tubes and sockets to look at I did then realized that there was an ECC83 Tube in the spot where the ECC85 tube should go I then replaced it with the correct tube and Voila FM came on just fine, both channels work as they should. If Steve can get this cleaned up enough to be bearable it should be a nice receiver once restored. If not he can ship it back and I will happily refund his money including shipping both ways.

I may be a dumbass at times but I am an honest one.

Regards Snow

Last edited:
I may be a dumbass at times but I am an honest one.

I hear ya--we all have "brain farts" from time to time. I smoke and own a big German Shepherd that can somehow get a "spare hair" into a hermitically sealed container--but no kids around to poke those "ever so tempting" dust covers or shiny ribbons. I try to remember to specifically state "does not come from a smoke-free, pet-free home", but have been known to forget--and sometimes I never even know anything about the history of something that I pick up at estate sales or yard sales. I make sure everything "works" as it should, and give it the cursory clean-up, but I am not as sensitive to smoke as a lot of people are. The only things that I am really sensitive to are cat piss and that damp mold/mildew odor that you inevitably encounter.

Thanks for chiming in Dan, although a bit more of a challenge to restore this unit than I had hoped, I know from other dealings with you that your an honest guy. I also understand that a person can get too busy to really put enough time in to inspecting what they are selling, (been there). I don't tend to dwell long on the negatives, so I'll focus on bringing the receiver back to its former glory. For me it's another learning curve, I enjoy being able to overcome different challenges. I plan on using the wood case as a template to build replicas, I have about 5 receivers that need cases.

Well that's a relief! That is just one seriously blown up power switch!!

Dave

I did notice that the PTF had one screw missing, (found it in the chassis). I bet the PTF might of been replaced at some point, and the switch damage a result of the original going bad. I will have to inspect the soldering to see if I can verify that.

I know exactly how you feel about the smell,as I encountered a similar problem with my recent R-200 tuner purchase. Oddly enough,I purchased it in person. I gave it a thorough going over,ran it for about half an hour,and removed the bottom cover for inspection.Even rode home with it on the front passenger seat of the car,a two hour drive.Did not notice a darned thing until I got home,set it on the kitchen counter,and got sidetracked for a couple of hours.When I returned,I thought something had gone rotten in the garbage pail! After sniffing around for a while wondering what the heck was going on,I realized what it was.Who expects a piece of audio equipment to smell like a restaurants dumpster!?!?

Fortunately,after reading some stickies and getting some good advice from fellow members,I've been able to restore the unit to ''unscented'' condition.Well,except for that old electronics aroma that we all know and love:)

Steve; Febreze the hell outta the case or put it in a bag with Baking soda dumped liberally into the bag seal it up and shake. Leave for a week, then take it out and brush it down good. Finish as you wish, but I would use a clear poly or varnish (multiple coats) on the inside to seal it up.

So finding a correct power switch for this unit is a priority since this one is not repairable, any ideas what the best option is?

If the part # is still readable contact Mark Oppat at www.oldradioparts.net also give him the full # of the Volume pot and who manufacturered it. Should all be right on the side of the pot and switch housings.

Steve if the switch itself is all you need check the Fleabay site. There's new switches made by central lab. No affiliation. AL

I removed the on / off switch and volume control today, it would be interesting to know what caused this flame out. I took pictures of the wiring so I have a chance and reinstalling it with a new switch.

20160709_121621.jpg 20160709_121638.jpg

I spent my lunch hour using some scrubbing bubbles bathroom cleaner on the chassis, so busy at work that I have to pick my spots to get things like this done. On the third time applying the cleaner, there was still brown ooze coming off it. All I can say is YUK! I now have it baking in the wonderful South Florida sun, my hands still stink of bathroom cleaner and ashtray, lemon juice is next for the hands, freebreeze for the Fisher. I did manage to find a replacement on/off switch, it should arrive this week. Lets hope this 800C becomes a sweet smelling success story in the end.

20160720_152017.jpg 20160720_152646.jpg

Last edited:
Feels wrong getting electronics wet doesn't it! First time I scrubbed some circuit boards from an ARP synthesizer down in a bathtub with simple green I felt like I was violating some fundamental law of physics.

Looks really good, congrats!

Well, after three doses of scrubbing bubbles, 6 hours of Florida sunshine, and being placed in a garbage bag with freebreeze for 3 days, it is better. But it's still unacceptable, so another round of stink off is coming soon. :mad:

Do you have access to one of those hand held steam cleaners? I did a 400 that smelled of really bad cigar smoke (I'm a smoker, but this one was immediately noticed!) I hit it with scrubbing bubbles and a paint brush, then started at the top with a full steamer and worked way down to the bottom. The bottom of the container the 400 was in was black with residuals. Rinsed off with CRC QD Contact cleaner. Let dry for 2 days in Heat wave similar to one right now. And it's fine. No stink, no sweat, no pinch...... Oh wait a minute.....that's for Duluth Trading scivvies. But you get the idea.

Do you have access to one of those hand held steam cleaners? I did a 400 that smelled of really bad cigar smoke (I'm a smoker, but this one was immediately noticed!) I hit it with scrubbing bubbles and a paint brush, then started at the top with a full steamer and worked way down to the bottom. The bottom of the container the 400 was in was black with residuals. Rinsed off with CRC QD Contact cleaner. Let dry for 2 days in Heat wave similar to one right now. And it's fine. No stink, no sweat, no pinch...... Oh wait a minute.....that's for Duluth Trading scivvies. But you get the idea.

You being a smoker will probably have your sense of smell a bit different than mine, but I won't give up on this one yet. I will keep at it as long as it takes.

I'll agree with you there. Once in the house, the cigar smell was so bad a dead man could smell it at 100 yd's upwind! Reminded me of an old chief who smoke these old rum soaked cherroots that would make a 4 holer outhouse in the summer smell like a rose garden. I've been in Emergency Medicine almost 40 years, until I retired, and run across my share of de-composing bodies in locked up apartments for a week or 2 with no AC. But this cigar soaked 400 was the worst.

Back
Top Bottom