JICO and Shure V15 Type l

malden

Addicted Member
The V15 Type 1 was top of the line for Shure during the early to mid 1960's and was concurrent with the M55E as well as several variations of the M44. It has a beautifully machined aluminum housing reminiscent of the mid-century modern era that it was offered in. The original stylus for the V15 type 1, the VN2E had a stylus grip that would only fit the aluminum body of the V15 type 1, it would not fit the M55 or M44 bodies. Whereas the N55 and N44 styli would fit the V15 type 1 body.

However beautifully designed the V15 type 1 is, I never warmed up to the sound of it. It is a very musical cartridge but there was always a trace of distortion that bothered me. The problem I found is that the V15 type 1 tracks between .75 and 1.5 grams which is too compliant for the heavy aluminum housing. Substituting the VN2E for the N44E, ,3 x ,7 mil elliptical that tracks between 1,5 and 4 grams, greatly improved the sound of the V15 type 1. It was mounted in my Thorens TD 160 with original tonearm.

Jico currently offers a replacement stylus for the V15 type 1, the VN2E. Although it may have the same specs as the original, it simply looks like a black version of the N55E, and at twice the cost.

It seems to me that the VN2E that Jico offers would be greatly improved if:

1) it had the same style grip as the original VN2E, and

2) had a slightly stiffer suspension to cope with the massive aluminum housing.

JICO VN2E

http://www.jico-stylus.com/product_info.php?cPath=18&products_id=1043

JICO N55E

http://www.jico-stylus.com/product_info.php?cPath=18&products_id=1014

index.php

Last edited:
Yes, you’re right – at 11g it was too heavy for the high stylus compliance in all but the lightest tonearms (around 5g), so will be better in most medium-weight tonearms such as yours with a lower compliance stylus like the N44E.

However, I suspect that the extremely limited appeal will mean Jico will ignore any requests for a lower compliance VN2E stylus.

The V15 Type II was a major advance over the original V15 in that it only weighed 6.8g, which was more in keeping with its compliance

The V15 Type 1 was top of the line for Shure during the early to mid 1960's and was concurrent with the M55E as well as several variations of the M44. It has a beautifully machined aluminum housing reminiscent of the mid-century modern era that it was offered in. The original stylus for the V15 type 1, the VN2E had a stylus grip that would only fit the aluminum body of the V15 type 1, it would not fit the M55 or M44 bodies. Whereas the N55 and N44 styli would fit the V15 type 1 body.

However beautifully designed the V15 type 1 is, I never warmed up to the sound of it. It is a very musical cartridge but there was always a trace of distortion that bothered me. The problem I found is that the V15 type 1 tracks between .75 and 1.5 grams which is too compliant for the heavy aluminum housing. Substituting the VN2E for the N44E, ,3 x ,7 mil elliptical that tracks between 1,5 and 4 grams, greatly improved the sound of the V15 type 1. It was mounted in my Thorens TD 160 with original tonearm.

Jico currently offers a replacement stylus for the V15 type 1, the VN2E. Although it may have the same specs as the original, it simply looks like a black version of the N55E, and at twice the cost.

It seems to me that the VN2E that Jico offers would be greatly improved if:

1) it had the same style grip as the original VN2E, and

2) had a slightly stiffer suspension to cope with the massive aluminum housing.

JICO VN2E

http://www.jico-stylus.com/product_info.php?cPath=18&products_id=1043

JICO N55E

http://www.jico-stylus.com/product_info.php?cPath=18&products_id=1014

index.php
Unfortunately, I've learned that you can't really go by posted pictures. They'd lead you to believe that the new neo SAS has an aluminium cantilever, lol.

Its best to send them an email for confirmations.

Yes, you’re right – at 11g it was too heavy for the high stylus compliance in all but the lightest tonearms (around 5g), so will be better in most medium-weight tonearms such as yours with a lower compliance stylus like the N44E.

However, I suspect that the extremely limited appeal will mean Jico will ignore any requests for a lower compliance VN2E stylus.

The V15 Type II was a major advance over the original V15 in that it only weighed 6.8g, which was more in keeping with its compliance

I hear ya, but it can't hurt to try. It would be fairly easy for JICO, the grip is a simple rectangle, and the stylus would be the same as the N44E.

Unfortunately, I've learned that you can't really go by posted pictures. They'd lead you to believe that the new neo SAS has an aluminium cantilever, lol.

Its best to send them an email for confirmations.

I did email them a while ago, but it was confirmed that the photo of the VN2E is accurate.

Although it sounds right in the V15 Type 1 cartridge body, the N44E stylus just doesn't look right...

index.php

The Shure V15 mk I and original stylus looks like this:

IMG_1548.JPG
IMG_1545.JPG
IMG_1546.JPG
IMG_1547.JPG

Back
Top Bottom