New challenge, smokers 800-C aquisition

That, or you could just start smoking:rflmao:

Another 4 sessions with scrubbing bubbles, and a complete shower with contact cleaner today, now it's out in the hot Florida sun again. It's probably going to send bubbles out of the speakers when I finally get it fired up. :naughty:

Me a smoker? :no: :smoke:

The smell I'm getting now is coming mostly from the IF transformers, is it possible to take off the covers safely and clean inside?

Yes to the covers, and maybe to cleaning. You'd have to use something like the CRC QD Electronics cleaner or the contact cleaner NOTHING ELSE, and NO BRUSH, just flush them down. Let them bake open in the sun for an afternoon. Then put the covers back on.

Yes to the covers, and maybe to cleaning. You'd have to use something like the CRC QD Electronics cleaner or the contact cleaner NOTHING ELSE, and NO BRUSH, just flush them down. Let them bake open in the sun for an afternoon. Then put the covers back on.

Thanks Larry, took my time and removed the covers one by one, cleaning the inside of the covers and spraying the transformers with contact cleaner. I then took off the glass dial and cleaned both sides being careful not to damage the writing. I pretty much determined that this 800-C was in a smokers home since its beginning, it's by far the worst I have come across having the brown film everywhere. The challenge has now turned into a quest, this Fisher will be funk free or else. :)

I will do another session of Freebreeze therapy, then attempt to reinstall the on/off, volume control since I have attached the new switch already to the volume control. I'm hoping the pictures I took will allow me to solder everything in its proper place. Next will be another sun bathing, then a gradual power up to see if everything works. If there are no issues, I will put it in line for a recap, and restoration down the road.

FYI, I've had a couple of receivers show up that sat up high on a shelf in a bar for 25 years, so I know the drill. But honestly, I didn't have as much trouble as you are having getting rid of the smell. Hopefully you're almost there.

FYI, I've had a couple of receivers show up that sat up high on a shelf in a bar for 25 years, so I know the drill. But honestly, I didn't have as much trouble as you are having getting rid of the smell. Hopefully you're almost there.

Well, looks like there is more to do. This thing still stinks, especially when baking in the sun. Man, what a challenge.

I finally got back to restoring the stinker receiver again, smells much better now. Just lacking a few tubes for it, most likely will rob them from another for testing. I sure like the capacitor kits from Hayseed Hamfest.

20161029_143025.jpg

Steve; Febreze the hell outta the case or put it in a bag with Baking soda dumped liberally into the bag seal it up and shake. Leave for a week, then take it out and brush it down good. Finish as you wish, but I would use a clear poly or varnish (multiple coats) on the inside to seal it up.

If the wooden case is an issue, it may also help to treat the inside of it with a mild peroxide solution. There is a spray bottle product called Odorout or similar that can be found at pet shops. I used it to help get rid of mouse pee & poop odor from a Philco console radio I was restoring. I would spray the product on and watch until it quit bubbling, then wipe dry with paper towels. I did this about 3 days in a row and when I finished there was no longer any odor.
Joe

I bought a 1960's Motorola stereo console, beautiful unit, from a retired couple and it had that "Estee Lauder" smell. I put bags of activated charcoal inside the cabinet after a very good cleaning. Let is sit in the Florida sun for a few days. Then a bag off coffee beans placed inside it. Most of the smell went away, but it was a challenge. The activated charcoal can be bought at PetSmart.

I received the last tube I needed to complete this 800-C with, so tonight I will see if it survived the many washings and sun baths. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Looks like I failed along this restoration journey, I'm not getting any sound out of this receiver, or tuner function. Looks like most of the tubes are lighting, but some are hard to tell, I will wait dark and see I guess. :(

Steve, ya gotta hook up speakers to it! :) Seriously though, you'll find it...dont give up :)

I'm always pleased when there is no smoke or sizzle when first powering up, but when it's just looking like Christmas lights with no other functions working, it's quite the let down. Time to take voltages I guess.

Al; & Steve; With the speaker switch and headphones, you don't need speakers connected. Just plug in the headphones and turn the speaker selector to "OFF" or "headphones". You can do this with pretty much any Fisher with a Headphone jack.

Larry

Steve;
One first thing to check would be B+ at key points in the power supply area. It might be something as simple as a loose wire or poor solder connection. We will be here to help you.
Joe

Steve;
One first thing to check would be B+ at key points in the power supply area. It might be something as simple as a loose wire or poor solder connection. We will be here to help you.
Joe
Thanks Joe, I decided to put it aside and work on my Dynaco MK-III rebuild for now. I will get back to it soon though.

I decided to take another swing at ole stinker 800-C, I guess it was my lucky day. The ole stinky bucket of wires decided it wanted to make some beautiful music today. Who would of thought after about 6 baths, 3 freebreeze coatings, and quite a few south Florida sun baths, that this thing would ever work again. :dunno: It now has all new can caps, bridge rectifier, new diodes, new coupling caps, and a few other components that include a new power switch. Nice thing is, the very minor smell it has now, doesn't get worse as it warms up. :thumbsup:

20161128_152744.jpg

Last edited:
Hoooray!!!!! Congrats! I just knew Stinky would cooperate one of these days!

I wasn't getting any radio though, the relay wasn't activating that shuts off the stereo beacon. One step at a time I guess, I'm just glad to be moving forward.

Back
Top Bottom