Led Zeppelin I - The Greatest Debut Album Of All Time?

His commentary actually morphs into discussion of 'greatest debut album of all time' and 'bands who did their best work over the age of 30'.

Dazed and Confused being my favorite 70's song this guy hits on so many points. I can't think of another debut that touches this one. I really enjoy the bluesy songs on the album. Definitely my fav Led album by far.

The Pretenders first album, My Aim Is True by Elvis Costello and Marshall Crenshaw's debut were all great first albums.

I actually like Led Zep II better than their debut. Their debut was pretty good though, especially considering they didn't have a lot of time to record it. There is a big mistake on "I Can't Quit You" that I assume they didn't have time to fix.

Last edited:
There are so many considerations, the main one for me being the music scene when the album came out. Were they breaking new ground where no group had gone before? The problem with the late 60s-early 70s is that there was a very fertile music climate at that time that encouraged experimentation and the fusion of different genres.

There were quite a few groups I heard back then that had excellent first efforts that dropped your jaw. Many great groups that were buried under the sheer volume of new music that came out every week. Taking the almost impossible task of being objective about the whole thing, the two groups that impressed me the most when I first heard them were Led Zeppelin and The Doors. But that was my time period with all it's influences.

Last edited:
I do feel that Led Zeps first album was a ground breaking album in many ways, and should be in the conversation about best debuts. After hearing their second album though, you really got to hear their vision realized as opposed to being hinted at and rushed.

Jimi Hendrix- Are You Experienced and Cream- Fresh Cream are two more great debuts.
As for newer music, Alabama Shakes first album is amazing.

I don't know about being called the greatest, but Boston's debut album was the fastest selling debut album for any American group.

Reception

The album soared, with three singles becoming Top 40 hits. All eight of the songs on the album still receive regular airplay on classic rock radio to this day, across the country. Taking a mere three weeks to earn an RIAA Gold Record Award (500,000 in unit sales) in 1976, and a Platinum Award (1,000,000 in unit sales) after three months on November 11, 1976, it was the fastest selling debut album for any American group. It has continued to sell very well, accumulating 9 million in sales by the 10th anniversary in 1986, reaching diamond in 1990, and 17x platinum by 2003.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_(album)

My personal favorite debut album would be Aerosmith. I thought the previously mentioned Boston debut album was pretty good as well (so good that they pretty much copied it and changed the words for their second album!).

bs

For rock, Van Halen comes to mind.
Otherwise, Ricky Lee Jones particularly, and Kate Bush.
Those popped up first in my mind, I'm sure I could think of many more.

I'd choose the debut LPs by Television, Velvet Undereground, The Doors, and The Ramones over LZ.1, and that's just getting started. Then there are the debut LPs of Howlin' Wolf, Chuck Berry, Magic Sam, and buncha other Bluesmen to consider (and prefer).

Back
Top Bottom