Eico's Owner Group

Uh, let's hit this one more time. The Eico HF-86 is not a preamplifier, nor and integrated amplifier. It is a 14 watt per channel stereo power amplifier (called a "basic" amplifier back in the day), that employs an individual screwdriver adjustment level control for each channel only, exactly like its higher powered brothers, the HF-87 and HF-89. It is designed to be driven by an external stand alone preamplifier like the HF-85 or ST-84. Even by today's highly distorted definition of the term "integrated", the HF-86 does not qualify with only a single set of inputs. It is just a stereo power amplifier. Just trying to keep the record straight.......

Dave

Uh, let's hit this one more time. The Eico HF-86 is not a preamplifier, nor and integrated amplifier. It is a 14 watt per channel stereo power amplifier (called a "basic" amplifier back in the day), that employs an individual screwdriver adjustment level control for each channel only, exactly like its higher powered brothers, the HF-87 and HF-89. It is designed to be driven by an external stand alone preamplifier like the HF-85 or ST-84. Even by today's highly distorted definition of the term "integrated", the HF-86 does not qualify with only a single set of inputs. It is just a stereo power amplifier. Just trying to keep the record straight.......

Dave
You are absolutely correct,my bad! I knew that,but misspoke.

I just added a pair of HF-60s to my collection. I'm looking forward to hearing whether their Acrosound Iron will result in these actually sounding better than my HF-89.

hello! i picked up my first tube amp today...EICO st40...all the original tubes look like they are present, but there is no fuse, which was a blessing. found at a garage sale, the girl plugged it in, to see if it would work...no power up, so she gave it to me...FREE!!! lucky day. also, lucky it didnt turn on without a load on it. I'm really ignorant when it comes to repairing electronics, but i appreciate vintage audio/hifi. i may attempt to restore it myself, but i think i'd be better off if I could find someone to fix it up for me.
I'm hoping there is someone near Green Bay Wisconsin who can help...anyone interested in helping? if not local, i'd be willing to ship it. please help.
Thank you for any reply's and/or help.

Hi Twang, congrats and welcome. To answer your questions: if you can solder and follow the Eico construction manual, you can restore if yourself. Otherwise there are people who can do it for you. And there are people here who can help. There is one well-known mod to the loudness switch that you can do later. First step: download the manual and have a read. http://web.tiscali.it/gv_page/st40constmanual.pdf

I am with Dandy on this. Now I have only restored 2 HF 85s and 2 HF12s, small units,
I found them very easy to work on and the assembly manual definate GET ONE.
The bigger amps like yours may be abit more complex but still quite manageable.
Besides, getting into one is part of the fun and you get to say I did it.
So I say jump into it with all 4 feet and dont look back. Whoops. I mean both feet.
The main thing is to have fun.
Otherwise an off the shelf amp may be a better choice, and they do make some duzies these days.

Four hands would be helpful with most soldering...

By the way, Twang, if you plan to restore this Eico yourself I think you should start a new thread so that all the tubeheads here can look in if they want to. The principles are the same for most tube amps.

Hi Twang, congrats and welcome. To answer your questions: if you can solder and follow the Eico construction manual, you can restore if yourself. Otherwise there are people who can do it for you. And there are people here who can help. There is one well-known mod to the loudness switch that you can do later. First step: download the manual and have a read. http://web.tiscali.it/gv_page/st40constmanual.pdf
Thank you. Ok, I'll jump in and do it myself.

I am with Dandy on this. Now I have only restored 2 HF 85s and 2 HF12s, small units,
I found them very easy to work on and the assembly manual definate GET ONE.
The bigger amps like yours may be abit more complex but still quite manageable.
Besides, getting into one is part of the fun and you get to say I did it.
So I say jump into it with all 4 feet and dont look back. Whoops. I mean both feet.
The main thing is to have fun.
Otherwise an off the shelf amp may be a better choice, and they do make some duzies these days.
ok, thanks for the encouragement.

Four hands would be helpful with most soldering...

By the way, Twang, if you plan to restore this Eico yourself I think you should start a new thread so that all the tubeheads here can look in if they want to. The principles are the same for most tube amps.
OK, where should i start my restore thread? in EICO or elsewhere?

Start it in the tube forum. Heading something like: 'Eico ST40 first tube restoration'. The value of that is that the thread is yours and can focus on the restoration of your unit.

I just picked up an Eico HF-85. It needs some love before I can hear it.
First piece of Eico audio gear but I already had an Eico signal generator and VTVM.

hey goya, kinda hard to isten to a VTVM isn't it? heehee.

By the way i have restored 1 HF85 and gutted/rebuilt another HF 85
for a friend and myself.
Great little amps when a few improvements are made.

Heres how I did mine.

If you need I can post pics with all the gory details. Or do a 'communication' (conversaton) PM.

Attachments

• 85 finished 005.jpg
    85 finished 005.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Yours looks beautiful. Mine seems to be cleaning up pretty well. I hope it ends up looking as nice. (And sounding even better)

Back
Top Bottom