Eico's Owner Group

I was able to add a very nice original Eico 2080 to my collection, this time I waited until it actually arrived before posting about it. :confused: The last one I sent an offer on (and was accepted), the owner backed out and sold it for more to someone else.

I haven't been able to find a schematic for it yet, or very many threads posted on AK about these. This unit was sold at an estate sale, where they sold every tube separate. :mad: I hate when they do that!

So I have been acquiring tubes for it along the way, just lacking a few but have them on order. It looks like a very easy recap, but I plan on checking it for operation first.

20160816_170223.jpg 20160816_170237.jpg 20160816_170303.jpg 20160816_170158.jpg 20160816_165925.jpg

I was able to add a very nice original Eico 2080 to my collection, this time I waited until it actually arrived before posting about it. :confused: The last one I sent an offer on (and was accepted), the owner backed out and sold it for more to someone else.

I haven't been able to find a schematic for it yet, or very many threads posted on AK about these. This unit was sold at an estate sale, where they sold every tube separate. :mad: I hate when they do that!

So I have been acquiring tubes for it along the way, just lacking a few but have them on order. It looks like a very easy recap, but I plan on checking it for operation first.

View attachment 775805 View attachment 775806 View attachment 775807 View attachment 775808 View attachment 775809
Nice - if that's the 7591 PP integrated, the schematic is out there, I believe - I seem to remember coming across that when I had the 2536.

Nice - if that's the 7591 PP integrated, the schematic is out there, I believe - I seem to remember coming across that when I had the 2536.

I was able to find a good schematic, just waiting for a pair of 6EU7 tubes to arrive so I can power this unit up and check it out. I imagine a wood cabinet will be next to impossible to find, I might have to put my wood working skills to use. This 2080 is in super nice condition, should turn out to be a nice addition to my tube equipment. :thumbsup:

I've got a HF85 pre I rebuilt with all new parts and did some improvements, and 2 HF12 mono integ. amps 6bq5 PP.
A 3rd HF12 waiting for me to attack it.

My HF-81

Eico002.jpg

I have all the new tubes installed in my newly acquired 2080, but I have not been able to find a service manual, only a schematic. Anyone have access to the service manual? I'd like to read up on how they want the bias and balance done since I pretty much have all new tubes installed. I would imagine the balance is set at center and bias all the way turned down, most likely fully counter clockwise.

Edit: Looks like the ST-70 manual will work for adjustments to the 2080.

Last edited:
My first gradual power up of the 2080 resulted in the 40/20/500V can cap getting hot and stinking up the place. So it looks like I will recap this unit before going further with my check out. Looks like a very easy unit to recap, let the fun begin! :)

You need to be aware that the bias voltage is critical to proper performance . So, you need to also verify that it is also properly functioning otherwise the power tubes will be running too hot.

You need to be aware that the bias voltage is critical to proper performance . So, you need to also verify that it is also properly functioning otherwise the power tubes will be running too hot.

I'm aware of that and have a service manual, but when a can cap starts burning at only 70V on the variac, it makes it a bit hard to check bias. I'll re stuff or replace the caps and try again.

Actually, the bias voltage should come up immediately and show up as a negative voltage on the power tube input grid.

^ Very nice. Love to find a ST70 for my niece some day.
What did you said that? Problaby your prayers are starting to be answered! ; I have to go to Houston in a bussiness trip in 3 weeks and this time capsule is stored in a safe place in home.

View attachment 775805 View attachment 775806 View attachment 775807 View attachment 775808 View attachment 775809

All restored and working perfectly, very nice sounding amp!

20160920_090620.jpg 20160920_090510.jpg

Back
Top Bottom