Poultrygeist's systems continue to evolve

After some thought I moved the Frugals to the den corners and now they are a part of a BL horn 5.1 HT.

7e157a05-6ab2-49dd-b3bd-693a2a07a296.jpg

Here's the Frugal Horn HT. The center channel speaker is based on the Fostex plans for the FE126En in a bass reflex enclosure.

P8080048.jpg

I first tried the OS speakers in this bookcase but there wasn't enough space behind the rear ports and they sounded terrible. I switched them to the stands and the front ported Tektons went back in the bookcase.

P8080041.jpg

To power the Overnight Sensation I'm using this TPA3116 green board with Astron power supply and a Nobsound NS-O1P preamp. Plenty of headroom left at quarter volume.

Also driving a Dayton knock down sub with the Yung SD300 plate amp. But for many the OS bass would be enough.

P7250010.jpg

Good looking build. I built a pair a looooong time ago and gave them to my brother. He loves them.

Another small speajer definitely worth a look would be the Quark offered by DIYSG.

The Quarks look like lots of fun.

I probably don't need to buy anything for awhile as I've got too many unused drivers.

I pulled these Zenith 12" alnico wide banders from an old console and they sound really nice in mock up. Hope to try them in open baffles with Alpha 15A's.

s-l300.jpg

For anyone considering the Overnight Sensations I wouldn't use a dark stain. Even if you use a pre-stain on the cabs the results on this cheapo plywood may not come out even. I'm basing this on the plywood PE sent me. If you look at the ones in the PE video you'll see what I mean. To be safe I suggest a natural stain or no darker than ipswich pine. I painted the baffles matte black which offers some nice contrast. I think many folks pass them on as the blotchy stain is just too diy ugly.

Last edited:
My current bookshelf system looks like this:

Tekton Fostex full range single driver speakers powered by a TPA3116/Astron and 6n3 Sain Smart ( $35 wonder ) plus the bucket subs powered by a 300 watt plate amp. I switched from an Onyko DVD player shown here to a dedicated Sony SACD changer.

There's also an Onkyo T-4555 HD tuner in there along with an old Marantz 1150 powering outdoor Axioms and a Marcato passive sub.

P1160014.jpg

Last edited:
Oooo nice looking drivers! My next speakers will be some Omegas Audio alnico speakers. Definitely gotta get back to the single driver portion of audio.

@Poultrygeist while typically I think your dedication to OB is a little crazy, I've got to say you've got some great systems and it's clear you know your stuff :)

This thread is a great read. Thanks for writing this all up. Maybe one day I'll join the OB apostle...

@Poultrygeist while typically I think your dedication to OB is a little crazy, I've got to say you've got some great systems and it's clear you know your stuff :)

This thread is a great read. Thanks for writing this all up. Maybe one day I'll join the OB apostle...

Thanks for the kind words but I'm still not much more than a beginner.

Here's a current picture of Grady who will be 2 years old on 11/1. Man how time flies. It seems like yesterday he was the little pup my wife was holding in the earlier picture. For some reason pets and audio kinda go together. Couldn't live without a dog.

IMG_4403.jpg

I found this Sony SACD changer ( SCD-CE595 ) at a local Good Will store for $7. So how could I resist? Took it home and the drawer wouldn't open. Removed the cover and found two Pearl Jam CD's wedged under the carousel. Removed them and it works and plays beautifully.

Since I had two identical SACD discs and an input switcher I decided to do an A/B comparison test with my other dedicated SACD player which is a Marantz SA8004.

My wife and I took turns listening and switching between the two players and neither of us could tell any difference in the sound between the two.

Sony%2BSCD-CE595%2B1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom