Poultrygeist's systems continue to evolve

I found this Sony SACD changer ( SCD-CE595 ) at a local Good Will store for $7. So how could I resist? Took it home and the drawer wouldn't open. Removed the cover and found two Pearl Jam CD's wedged under the carousel. Removed them and it works and plays beautifully.

Since I had two identical SACD discs and an input switcher I decided to do an A/B comparison test with my other dedicated SACD player which is a Marantz SA8004.

My wife and I took turns listening and switching between the two players and neither of us could tell any difference in the sound between the two.

Sony%2BSCD-CE595%2B1.jpg
And two pearl jam cd's to boot

Wasn't there somebody else around here that recently bought a used CD player with a Pearl Jam disc stuck in it?

A couple of weeks ago I received this "Volt+" amp from a company in India. The amp was free on condition that I post a review of it on the diyaudio forum. The Volt+ is based on the TPA3118 chip and is highly modded and with lots of upgraded parts. After living with it for a week I can say without a doubt it's the finest sounding class d amp I've heard. It's clarity and detail are jaw dropping.

PA020019_1.jpg

I replaced the Beta12LTA with these Zenith Alnico's ( circa 1958 ) and as much as I like the Beta's the Zeniths are just a superior and more refined driver. Incredible clarity and so buttery smooth you can listen all day.

P1010030.jpg

On the opposite side of the room from the Zeniths are these Lowther DX-3s over flat baffle Alphas. I swapped the gear after taking this picture and the Lowthers are back to being powered by the Bottlehead SET and the Zeniths are driven by the Zolt+ TPA3118.

Not counting the six 15" OB woofers I'm using four subs in this room so bass is not an issue.

P1010016_1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom