What would be the 'best' Sansui amplifier for sound quality?

What can I say? The only Sansui I have ever heard is my AU-6500; a 10/10 perfect cosmetic 100% operational beauty that has never been worked on except me setting the DC offset & bias, and pot/switch cleaning... all still original everything. Controls are silent, runs cool, never have had an issue and has always sounded great. Sometimes I wonder if the clarity is helped by it having the minimum number of switch contact surfaces in the signal path compared to more full featured amps?
Only 28 watts but with LaScalas I'm listening deep into the first watt - strong, detailed, and musical.

I wish I had heard other Sansuis but I just haven't, only old same period Yamaha (30W) and Nikko (34W) neither of which could hold a candle to this amazing amp. Honestly, I can't imagine a much better sounding amp, which sounds funny as it is my only example of Sansui; I'm sure that other Sansui amps are superior to mine but it's just really hard to believe.

Yes the 6500. I have owned 3 of them and do regret not keeping one as now

i have the 9500. I have a range of other Sansui amps including the alphas, but the 6500 is such an under rated amp. It's lower end has much more realizium than some of the higher end Sansui amps I've heard but for what this little beauty cost is a great buy.... lovery amp.... congrats

IMO, the difference from the 60s - 70s up through into the 80s then to the Alphas is the mid - top end detail change. Its the little back ground noises that you hear the difference with the top end Alphas, more refinded - cleaner overall sound. You know certain songs because you like them and play them over and over again, have studied the tracks then listening through an Alpha thinking... what was that noise....rewind....Oh Wow, never realized that was in the track.
Also depends on how good the recording, source, speakers, setup etc.

I still have a soft spot for the 60s, 70s and 80s Sansuis though.
Everyones listening taste in what they like hearing will be different to others. We're lucky Sansui made fantastic gear for the 40+ years in HiFi.

I've owned all sorts of other branded gear but Sansui just has that special sonic signature in ampification design which i fell in love with.

Just my II cents
:beerchug:

Last edited:
That's enough. There is no best. So let's settle for "iconic." Sounds good too.
Now go to sleep.

View attachment 781137

I really like the aesthetics of the AU9500, its a very smart looking amp......I didn't like its sound though, after so much work and time on it, I decided it was just not for me...
I preferred the sound of the G series, Hot Rodded AU999, and the likes of the AU-D11 etc....I am about to get an AU-X1 up and running, I am pretty sure I'll like that too....

The 9500 is a special amp to me. Its sounds very good on selected speakers like KEF, IMF, Spendors (studio-reference-speakers). It took me some time to understand this amp but i get it.

I really like the aesthetics of the AU9500, its a very smart looking amp......I didn't like its sound though, after so much work and time on it, I decided it was just not for me...
I preferred the sound of the G series, Hot Rodded AU999, and the likes of the AU-D11 etc....I am about to get an AU-X1 up and running, I am pretty sure I'll like that too....
Once again, we think alike-
While I so wanted to love my AU-9500 and I enjoyed the aesthetics, it paled sonically to my modded AU-999.

But - I just scored an AU-20000 that needs some work - we'll see how that one measures up.

image.jpeg

That was a very helpful and indept report to what happened to Sansui. Thank you.
I've always thought Sansui had surperior sound to its competition..actually, I came back to Sansui from a long journey into the "hi-end". Names like BAT, Classe, Parasound, etc.
I've always held on to my G-7500 over the years. Working or not? From my experience, Sansui aren't indestructible. I've blown a few tweeters when it use to go into oscillation start sputtering distortion and here comes the DC..poof! Another tweeter bites the dust. I got tired of buying and replacing tweeters. So I decided to move up into the stratosphere! It worked out for several years with reliable solid-state componentries from the USA and Canada. At the sacrifice of realistic transient responses and stage depth, a Krell or a McIntosh might still be in my future? Until then, my G-9000, G-7500 and a newly acquired AU-D11ii will be my stablemates.
The things that matters in holding one's attention when enjoying a musical experience is that dynamic range and lightning fast transients that distinguishes Sansui from all the rest. So after my trip up the sound reproduction food chain I end up right back to where it all started for me..and repairing the G's again so I can exhale with an ear to ear smile reminding me why I never sold a Sansui!
The only other sound manufacturer that ever had me second guessing was American made Spectral. However, one piece cost a car and they are designed to only work with each other!! Too rich for my blood anyway.
Thanks, Audiokarma for allowing me to ramble on the luxury of classic Sansui.

21710485988733_725.jpg
21710485928175_181.jpg

These two rare birds show up for sale here locally, drooling but no funds available.:(

Great thread here guys, thanks for the read. I noticed a few posts from people who had not heard a Sansui Alpha and thought I would join up and throw in a link that those people in particular might be interested in. I recently bought myself an Alpha 907 NRA direct from Japan, and already had on hand a Luxman L507u, then an Accuphase E460 came up for sale and I just had to know... you know?
The comparison is pretty interesting (not to mention a ton of fun) and the Sansui does not give an inch to either of its opponents. Pretty impressive since it is over a decade older than either the Luxman or the Accuphase. Link below.

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/118093-accuphase-vs-luxman-vs-sansui/

Welcome Cafad :beerchug:
it was interesting to read your review of Accu,Luxman and Sansui int amps....thank you.
And when you get that schematic diagram, and after all settings,it would be interesting to compare again ;)

Great thread here guys, thanks for the read. I noticed a few posts from people who had not heard a Sansui Alpha and thought I would join up and throw in a link that those people in particular might be interested in. I recently bought myself an Alpha 907 NRA direct from Japan, and already had on hand a Luxman L507u, then an Accuphase E460 came up for sale and I just had to know... you know?
The comparison is pretty interesting (not to mention a ton of fun) and the Sansui does not give an inch to either of its opponents. Pretty impressive since it is over a decade older than either the Luxman or the Accuphase. Link below.

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/118093-accuphase-vs-luxman-vs-sansui/

Hi Geoff and welcome to AK.

Glad that you joined and posted up the link to your excellent listening impressions of some damn fine amplifiers!

Cheers

John

I've owned an AU-11000, AU-7500, AU-3900 and an AU-555 (also QRX-5500 and 350a receivers). Only one I kept was the 555. :)

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. And thanks for the thought Pepa, I'll have to see if things will improve after I get my hands on those schematics and can check the bias settings and apply whatever other sacred knowledge they contain. Exciting times indeed.

I am trying to save enough money for a SANSUI AU-α907MR. According to the ranking by some experts here that the AU-907MR is rank higher than AU-907NRA, but the price here locally has the AU-907NRA as the higher dollar amount item, iis that strange or just lucky for me?
99365e42-965a-4fc4-bdc8-916353d9bd7f.jpg

Right now I own a AU-X711, AU-X901 and C/B 2102, will the AU-907MR greatly improve my listening experience?

I think the KEF sound similar to Harbeth, both has the very detail midrange, so if you find it as a big improvement in SQ than it is. OK I just made a call to a tech that does a buying service of Japanese hi-end audio. He give a 3 months warranty and said the next AU-907MR will be mine.:rockon:

Right now I own a AU-X711, AU-X901 and C/B 2102, will the AU-907MR greatly improve my listening experience?

mmm, I think you are just stroking your ego at that point (not that there's anything wrong with that!).

Back
Top Bottom