Tuners?

Doug, thanks for your detailed response.

I went ahead and grabbed one of the tuners mentioned before, the Sherwood S3000IV. You'd listed this as one of your favorite sounding tuners after mods. Can you tell me what is entailed in the mods, a ball park on the cost, and who I might trust to do the work?

Thanks again,
Tom
hi tom,

i think the sherwoods sound fantastic, even w/o mods. i have a s3000lll and an s2200ll that have never been serviced, and they're excellent sounding w/a studio-12 mpx decoder. the s3000v i have was refurb'd by the p.o. mods were slight - like using better caps, etc. and, the power switch was relocated to a toggle at the back of the tuna, to eliminate the length of wire going to the front switch. i'd listen to yours as-is, if it's in working condition, prior to sending it out for service.

as far as where to send it, mike williams, who posts here would be a good choice; he works w/craig ostby of nos valves, for the tube stuff. and there's terry dewick; and there's stephen sank. i've never used terry (or craig), but i have heard great things about them. i have no idea what a refurb/mods would run, but you can query these folks for estimates.

http://www.mcintoshaudio.com/dewick_repairs.htm
http://www.radioxtuners.com/
http://www.nosvalves.com/
http://www.thuntek.net/~bk11/home.htm

happy listening! :music:

doug s.

Doug,

As mentioned, I did acquire the Sherwood S3000iv and it does work. I've experimented with some of the knobs but not sure if they're working correctly and/or I'm not clear on what they're supposed to be doing.

There's 3 clicks on the main knob. First click got it turned on. Second click, not sure if that's stereo or mono. Third click, guessing that is whatever the second click isn't. Haven't noticed much stereo separation either way. Faceplate has "Stereo Normal" listed in that order.

There's a rotating ring around the outside of the main knob (says "Blend" on either side). Not clear on what that is doing when it's moved to different positions.

Hush on or off, not a real noticeable difference there. Is that like a Hi-blend filter for noise?

It appears to work best with AFC on.

Do you know if there's a manual floating around for this tuner?

Thanks,

Tom

P.S. If there's another way I should be handling this communication please let me know, I'm new to this.

I recently had two excellent tuners:

A Sumo Charlie which I had to do a bit of work on and clean up. I bought it with some other Sumo gear, mostly non-functional.

An Akai AT-V04 which I found in a thrift store for five bucks.

The Sumo was black like the other gear in the main system, but I swapped it off and kept the Akai because I liked its ergonomics better. Both tuned and sounded excellent.

Sorry, Charlie.

I have only two tuners, A Magnum Dynalab FT-101A which definitely needs recalibration and a vintage Denon TU-850. . .
I must say I love the SQ of my Denon more:)
I0000u3su2PjMb5g.jpg
I0000ZEXmCNbK4S8.jpg

I00009ZhE1pCIEvw.jpg
I0000NaV7H5cphgk.jpg

As you can see on my pic, the center meter of my Dynalab is tilted towards the left. . .
I need a technician!!! :)

in my opinion, sell the m-d and use the proceeds to upgrade the tu850. the m-d, tho a looker, is only so-so sounding at its best; the tu850 is a most excellent tuna, and is worthy of making it sound as good as possible. even if you need a 2nd tuna, you can do far better sonically than the m-d, for under $100.

doug s.
I have only two tuners, A Magnum Dynalab FT-101A which definitely needs recalibration and a vintage Denon TU-850. . .
I must say I love the SQ of my Denon more:)
I0000u3su2PjMb5g.jpg
I0000ZEXmCNbK4S8.jpg

I00009ZhE1pCIEvw.jpg
I0000NaV7H5cphgk.jpg

As you can see on my pic, the center meter of my Dynalab is tilted towards the left. . .
I need a technician!!! :)

At the moment the workhorse is my Kenwood KT-8005, one of the most gorgeous tuners I've ever seen, completely in love with it. Unfortunately it was purchased as a hit or miss kind of thing where I made an offer to someone which I did not believe would be accepted and it was, I didn't even had the time to re-check the condition of the unit, figures out on arrival that some buttons don't hold in place, must be broken switches I guess, some bulbs seem to be out and I have yet to test it with the building's external antenna.

I have recently parted out with some nice ones like the mythical Denon TU-500, the most exquisitely designed tuner I've come across, very unusual with very rarely seen features, supposed to be used as the center piece of the rig but all that specificities scared the hell out of me and I sold it to someone who could maintain it in case something went wrong.
I also regret having sold an Akai AM-2600 in mint condition who would pluck out of thin air ever single available radio station just by using a flimsy indoors antenna, pure voodoo I must say and a Toshiba ST-420, a tuner that I am about to purchase again, brutal build quality with a thick solid aluminum front face, can't help it and will not sell it again specially if I can get the matching integrated amplifier for a good price, harder these days.

I'm new to this website' I love all integrated stereo receivers made in the seventies I'm currently listening to fully restored pioneer S X 1980 but I also own a fully restored Kenwood KR 9600. sitting beside that I have my trusty realistic sta 2300. and in the shop right now that's being repaired is my DOA Technics sa 1000 that I just purchased

I m pretty much into tuners.......love FM radioshows (lots of new Music and great Quality).
I´d collected to far:

Pioneer TX6200 (really great sound)
Pioneer TX7100 (super optic and technic)
Pioneer TX9100 (excellent, possibly one of the best technic ever and fantastic optic ) (see the upper one)

DSC_8316_f.jpg

and Receiver Hitachi SR302 (fine Quality)
Tivoli iSongbook (Henri Kloss quality)

Fomer gear:
Harman/Kardon TU915 (great Mix between digital technic with analog-style Wheel)
Marantz 2215BL Receiver
2 more Hitachi SR302 Receiver

Last edited:
I owned the Harman/Kardon TU915 nearly 30 year and was quite satisfied with his Performance.

But since I switched the the 70er Vintage Audio I need to replace.
Have a look: sleek and slim
TU915_front.JPG

DTV

I remember the music channels on Direct TV. . . . My friend loved it but I couldnt listen very long even for background music. Sounded compressed or something especially after the addition of local channels. I think that cut into their bandwidth.
Mine sounds awful! And occasional spikes of loud noise! Ouch, can't listen loud, nor long.

The KLH Model Eighteen has amazing selectivity for the size and price.

I haven't bought any tuners for a while but I think one of my favourites is still the Denon TU-800L. Superb sound and DXing capabilities in one box, and made all the better for acquiring it for just £22 about 4 years ago. It's probably one of the only tuners I bought where the alignment seems pretty much spot on, which is impressive for a tuner that is now approximately 26 years old.

Have listened to/played with the following, plus some others I tried, sold, and then forgot about.
I should have made a list way back at the beginning.

I firmly blame Mr. doug s. for getting me invested in this hobby. :D

In no particular order:

Adcom GFT-555 II
Philips 6731
Philips 185
Nikko Gamma V
Sony ST-A7B
Denon TU-900
Onkyo T-9
NEC T-710
Mitsubishi DA-F20
Accuphase T-100 (stock and modded)
Harmon Kardon Citation 18 (stock and modded)
Nakamichi 430 (needs work)
Rotel RT-2100 (needs work)
Rotel RHT-10
Kenwood L-07T II
Luxman (a couple older models with the logo/model faded/rubbed off)
Aiwa 9700E
Aiwa 9700K
Musical Fidelity Elektra E50
Sansui TU-717 (modded)
Akai AT-93
Pioneer F-28
Sherwood S-3300
Sony ST-J75

....plus the others I forgot about...

I have ten years in this hobby, sometimes with years between powering up a unit (or multiple units) and giving them a listen.

My Nikko Gamma V left me to be overhauled, aligned, and upgraded.
I think it will be simply killer once it returns to me.

Current favorite is a Sony ST-A7B.
Dial is left on 90.7 WFUV.

Have trouble picking up the other stations I want,
89.1 W209CJ (WMNR "Fine Arts Radio" classical simulcast),
90.3 WQXW (the "new" WQXR simulcast),
and
93.9 WNYC,
in full quieting, wide stereo with my simple tuned loop.

Is it the best I've ever heard?
Voices and instruments are floating all over my head;
the bass goes way, way down, and not bloated bass (like on the Accuphase T-100), tuneful, impactful bass,
which makes me wonder if I am damaging my hearing, listening with Sony MDR-7504 via the headphone section of an Apt-Holman pre-amp.

The ST-A7B is not the most detailed tuner I have heard.
The DA-F20, Kenwood L-07T II, and Aiwa 9700 are all more detailed.
However, you trade that detail for a wide, deep soundscape,
rich, tuneful bass, and a very relaxed, inviting sound.

The Apt-Holman was about $30.00 off craigslist.
The headphones my dad got broken and repaired (though they sorely need new foam pads).
The antenna, a tuned FM loop that looks like some archaic religious artifact from a now extinct ancient civilization,
I built from an old broom handle, a long stick, masking tape, duct tape, and some hose clamps.

The ST-A7B was...ahh..a bit more pricey.

Voices do not sound boomy.
Differences between stations are easy to hear, as are differences between individual songs on the same station.

The display is wonky; this unit is infamous for the "rabid soldering" as noted on TVK.

I am sure it could use an alignment and a cap refresh; it doesn't pull in some NYC stations 40 miles distant
as well as I believe it should.

It leans slightly to the "romantic" or "sweet" side (if I am using those terms correctly), and is never harsh or strident.

I don't know what the words "tubey" or "vinyl" mean, as I don't have access to those sources,
but, from a decade of reading the opinions/experiences of others, I am guessing this sort of sound is what they mean.

When I get the Nikko Gamma V back from being overhauled, I may be done with acquiring new tuners,
unless someone who also owned the ST-A7B can suggest something they found sonically superior. :)

I'd love to hear a Sansui TU-X1, Pioneer F-26, Kenwood L-02T, Accuphase T-1000/T-1100...but I don't believe the differences would be tremendous as compared to the ST-A7B.

I do believe there is better out there sound-wise and reception-wise,
though I am guessing the pockets must be mighty-deep to acquire it.

I am thinking my next investment in a couple years will be a quality DAC for Internet radio streaming, unless someone here has heard something which significantly bests the Sony.

Last edited:
New to the site, i have a question about needle dial replacement for a Pioneer SX 1010, does needle from models (424, 525, 626) fit in my 1010. The needle on mine was broken and glued back together by previous owner and glued spot effects the light travel to the tip.

Thanks
James

Not sure on those specific models, but the pointer of the 1010 is common to other receivers of the same family.

Back
Top Bottom