Sony PlayStation 1 - Interesting

Five1945

I know this is really, really old news but I hadn't had a chance to check out the alleged sonic capabilities of an original PlayStation 1 (actually a scph 5552) until I picked up one from a charity store today.

OK, well using the admittedly probably sonically challenged av connector (this version has the same dac but has no phonos) I have say it sounded pretty good to my jaded ears. You can place instruments in a soundstage, and it didn't fall into either the trap of sounding either boring or strident. I really liked what it did with a recording of Bruckner 4 on Arte Nova (Dennis Russell Davies, Bruckner Orchestra Linz) and anything else I gave it (including Debussy and John Zorn). Interesting.

Ya - all my audio freak friends I think are pretty sorry about my ravings about these things. But they are (if you can find the right couple of early models) -hysterically ,hilariously cheap ,good sounding n ugly ! It just seems to be a Sony thing -once every few years they just cut loose with what appears to be a accidental world beater ? Then -back to appliance grade audio.

Only machine is SCHP-1001, two seperate outputs and additional caps in series
5552 might be same DAC but different circuit
All in one cable also different output circuit from RCA even on same machine
All in one cable have less capacitor in way
Eurpean model has different number I will check notes on subject
Output different on other versions not same and not same sound
I have 5 and all fantastic some I mod some run stock
Problem finding good lasers today most PS1s wear laser out playing game
SoNic67 this not urban legend how many you try?
Great CD player can be made world class with soldering iron and $5 in parts
JJ

Unfortunate much of information I had has expired now 404 or no longer out there ; - (
http://dogbreath.de/PS1/output/output.html
http://dogbreath.de/PS1/index.html
http://www.methe-family.de/cd.htm

Last edited:
The 5501 shown here is the best of the bunch when modded. Doesn't come with RCA's which must be added. This one has all the dogbreath mods plus others and sports an internal remote. Didn't mod it myself but a friend who sells them on A'gon did. It weighs twice as much as the stock 5501. Easily competes with 1k players.

P8070025_1.jpg

The 5501 shown here is the best of the bunch when modded. Doesn't come with RCA's which must be added. This one has all the dogbreath mods plus others and sports an internal remote. Didn't mod it myself but a friend who sells them on A'gon did. It weighs twice as much as the stock 5501. Easily competes with 1k players.
Not tell why keep saying 5501 and other number best it NOT SAME MACHINE no matter what somebody says to you and NOT TRUE
Just because add RCA jacks not put circuit in!
Someone take advantage of fad!
It has different output stage and muting circuits I know I collect and build
Try to find serial number list but old site down I will find and post schematic
All have internal remote not big deal go to Game Stop buy Playstation 2 remote control and you in! You can hide receiver behind front controller plug if bother you
Only models that work BEST for this famous audio story are SCPH-100x versions last digit for country of sale
JJ

I give you SCHP-5xxx guys apology I find my notes I forget things old age
IF you have right chip you might be ok for good sound Playstation
I had link to site that showed all models to collect exceptions but now link dead ; - (

This from site must check your machine for number
The DAC used in most SCPH100x is an Ashahi Kasei Microsystems (AKM) AK4309AVM. It is a 16 bit Stereo Delta-Sigma DAC. Some very early models use the AK4309 VM. The later PS1 models of the series SCPH 55xx also feature the AK4309AVM. The SCPH700x are equipped with the AK4309BM and later models, the SCPH75xx and higher, are equipped with DACs from other manufacturers.

One thing I've noticed with the SCPH 5501 is that it reads CD-R's which my SCPH 1001's struggle with. I wonder if it uses a better laser?

One thing I've noticed with the SCPH 5501 is that it reads CD-R's which my SCPH 1001's struggle with. I wonder if it uses a better laser?
Look at links I provide instructions for laser adjustment if not reading CD-R after that laser most likely tired like I wrote
I have 3 1001 and when working all reading CD-R just fine
Most of these have very tired laser from hundreds of games and good one hard to find now
I try cheap China copy laser not so good sometimes yes sometimes no
All these machimes 20 years old and older now so laser is issue on many unless you buy it new and know history
Never pay more than $20 for one!
JJ

JimmyEJames, what country are you in? I can tell by your writing that English isn't your first language. I'm just curious, because I've found that some of the best CD player hack/mods came from European countries for some reason. Not sure why... maybe it's the long winters inside the house and looking for something fun to do?

I can usually find the 1001's for $5 at local flea markets. Traded 5 of them for the modded 5501.
That should tell something!
Great machines
Simple Delta-Sigma chips making come back in new machines too!
Don't know what have until lose it!
Funny how we travel in circle!
Enjoy!
JJ

That should tell something!
Great machines
Simple Delta-Sigma chips making come back in new machines too!
Don't know what have until lose it!
Funny how we travel in circle!
Enjoy!
JJ
Thanks to everyone that's replied. My motivation for putting something up about the humble PlayStation and it's ability as a CD player, was to illustrate something fundamental for me. I find sometimes audiophiles are so caught up the latest whiz bang piece of equipment (usually expensive) they loose sight that it has reproduce music not sound - there's a difference. Don't just believe what a reviewer anecdotally tells you. This is particularly relevant in these days of online purchasing - please have a listen yourself if you possibly can, and keep an open mind to the unorthodox.
I spent many years demoing different pieces of so called 'reviews choice' hi-fi trying to convince myself it was good because someone in a mag told me so. It was only after building a cheap valve amp kit from Maplins did get what I enjoyed. It measured terrible but sounded to me great.
Be true to thyself. Live long and prosper

Thanks to everyone that's replied. My motivation for putting something up about the humble PlayStation and it's ability as a CD player, was to illustrate something fundamental for me. I find sometimes audiophiles are so caught up the latest whiz bang piece of equipment (usually expensive) they loose sight that it has reproduce music not sound - there's a difference. Don't just believe what a reviewer anecdotally tells you. This is particularly relevant in these days of online purchasing - please have a listen yourself if you possibly can, and keep an open mind to the unorthodox.
I spent many years demoing different pieces of so called 'reviews choice' hi-fi trying to convince myself it was good because someone in a mag told me so. It was only after building a cheap valve amp kit from Maplins did get what I enjoyed. It measured terrible but sounded to me great.
Be true to thyself. Live long and prosper
Sorry you go to such trouble to demonstrate nothing and think you are like Sigmond Freud
No one lose sight except you to lump everyone together because I am NOT audiophile
Audiophile idiot term made up by someone long time ago
I love music so I love machine to make music it simple and I just love machine too of electronic type
No magazine tell me so no audiophile
I don't care who where what about machine if sound of music is good
I think most people here at the Audio Karma forum that way too not audiophile or easy to suggest people buying bridge
Most peole here even do own work show respect for machine other people throw away
Playstation as audio machine have nothing do with power suggestion which way herd go or me too want to be like guy on TV
And not humble first Playstation was some of most powerful technology on planet
You keep refer to as humble tell me you guy most influenced by magazine need someone or something to tell you it ok to think for self!
I will help you now
It ok!
Have a great day!
JJ

Last edited:
Sorry you go to such trouble to demonstrate nothing and think you are like Sigmond Freud
No one lose sight except you to lump everyone together because I am NOT audiophile
Audiophile idiot term made up by someone long time ago
I love music so I love machine to make music it simple and I just love machine too of electronic type
No magazine tell me so no audiophile
I don't care who where what about machine if sound of music is good
I think most people here at the Audio Karma forum that way too not audiophile or easy to suggest people buying bridge
Most peole here even do own work show respect for machine other peole throw away
Playstation as audio machine have nothing do with power suggestion which way herd go or me too want to be like guy on TV
And not humble first Playstation was some of most powerful technology on planet
You keep refer to as humble tell me you guy most influenced by magazine need someone or something to tell you it ok to think for self!
I will help you now
It ok!
Have a great day!
JJ

Hi JJ
Forgive me for saying, even given your poor command of the English language, you come across as being just a bit rude and arrogant (given your earlier embarrassing outburst at SCHP 5xxx owners). You know you can disagree with someone without getting personal
As for Sigmund Freud I think you could do with some analysis yourself

Hi JJ
Forgive me for saying, even given your poor command of the English language, you come across as being just a bit rude and arrogant (given your earlier embarrassing outburst at SCHP 5xxx owners). You know you can disagree with someone without getting personal
As for Sigmund Freud I think you could do with some analysis yourself
Call me rude after criticize writing and call name you one fine fellow
After you have stroke severely have to relearn to speak write walk talk and wash own ass all over when 60 years old you come back we talk then ok with you? Able again read wiring diagram and solder too
And I not have outburst on anyone beside fact I correct error of post and post link to information on chip
You also saying motive for post was to observe for self behavior of people just like Sigmund and remark definitely have flavor of arrogance judgmental of what why how people do what they do like you some kind of doctor or behavior scientist and make judgements but try to hide in remarks not well
For your information AV audio jack have cleanest sound on stock player look at diagram with article I provide signal path much cleaner with less parts in way it is not "admittedly probably sonically challenged av connector" it is superior connector for sound even on model with RCA jacks
How you know you have same DAC as SCHP-1001 you look and see or just read what somebody told you?
Even if 5xxx model have to open machine to check for correct chip and know if right chip you still might not have all 5xxx don't have desirable chip but all Playstation will sound decent
Sony just find old inventory left from first edition and use it up by time they get to 5xxx serial numbers
Cutting cost like manufacturer always do especially Sony after first build statment piece to capture market
Have fun with self
JJ

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom