Any Friends of Bill W here @ AudioKarma

I just stumbled across this and am quite sure I have been been his friend all my Adult life but fortunately never out of control and yet I have many Friends that have crossed the line many times and have had hard times over the years and I will never abandon any of them till the end:)

Hi Guys. Congratulations for any sobriety or clean time. Sorry for your loss Chris this type of news is always sad. I feel for you. All we can do is lead by example. We have lost so many wonderful people lately. One lady friend who died of a Heroin OD was tossed out like trash. The rash of OD's is unbelievable. Its all sad and avoidable. Your in my prayers. Later Fever

I don't know about crowing but, if all we were to hear about were the tragedies or the relapses or seemingly impossible struggles with addiction, it wouldn't exactly fill people with a belief in the power of the program to save lives. I think it's equally important, or even more important, to hear about the successes as it is the failures.

John

Successes come only a day at a time, but failures are too often sudden and permanent. The program has given me hope, though, and optimism.

This year I was away from home on Father's Day and woke to a text from my wife that said "Call when you get this." Not usually good news waiting at the other the end of that kind of text.

But when I called, she told me that our oldest, who has been a concern for several years, had checked himself into treatment.

"Did he wreck his car...again?" No...
"Did he get fired...again?". No...
"Anybody hurt?". No...He said he's tired of being miserable all the time, and tired of being a drunk.

By far the best Father's Day ever! So far, so good. He's made some hard choices about playmates and playgrounds, is working his program with a sponsor, and I'm free to just be his dad.

So, I don't think of it as a "success" like "this is finished and we won", but rather a step in the right direction to be followed by another step, and another, and another until we all become happy, joyous and free or some such thing.

Coming up on another year of incredible recovery. For me I keep in touch with the pain of addiction. Not to dwell but to learn how not to return to hell. My disease could still tell me its okay to have one drink or maybe puff a little weed (Especially now in such a weed friendly time) Everything thats perfect in my life depends on me not taking the first whatever. You guys have done a great job keeping our post alive with tremendous success stories. My heart goes out to anyone here who has felt the pain of addiction. Firsthand, Family or friends. Fever

Coming up on another year of incredible recovery. For me I keep in touch with the pain of addiction. Not to dwell but to learn how not to return to hell. My disease could still tell me its okay to have one drink or maybe puff a little weed (Especially now in such a weed friendly time) Everything thats perfect in my life depends on me not taking the first whatever. You guys have done a great job keeping our post alive with tremendous success stories. My heart goes out to anyone here who has felt the pain of addiction. Firsthand, Family or friends. Fever
Not sure you are up on the first tradition.

My addicting personality can rear its ugly head in anything I like/love.
Drinking, Drugs, or whatever. Sometimes it takes every bit of restraint to walk away from Stereo equipment on or off line. I know In singing to the choir. Later Rick

This is a good reminder for me since I too have multiple addictions (audio gear included :)), a classic obsessive compulsive personality that I need to learn and live with everyday. AA has given me the tools to understand them and deal with them in a constructive way.

Congratulations, thank you for starting this thread and providing us all with a friendly and supportive reminder.
Life changed for me when I learned to live on day at a time. No more future tripping!

Not sure you are up on the first tradition.
Oop!! I should have said 12th tradition. That will teach me not to get preachy! Still working on humility.
What I meant was this thread started out 'in code'; but now every reader knows what it means to be a friend of Bill.

Anonymity is to secure trust within the group, and to avoid devaluing the program and the members with a public failure to maintain sobriety.
One should not 'out' another member, personal anonymity should be considered in light of the previous statement.
This was how it was explained to me a bit over 29 years ago, and it has worked quite well day by day.

I thought people would worry about the 11th tradition Since I work for WKRP IN Cincinnati. Fever

Back
Top Bottom