New job, new system! w000! McIntosh and Focal content ahead.

andx0r

The past year has been a fun time. I quit my job of 5 years (Carrier HVAC technician) to go back to trade school for a semester and get some extra learnin' in and try to get a better job. I've since gotten said better job, working for my local gubbmint and decided to celebrate with a new system.

The audio timeline basically goes:

- Sold my Sony ES setup to a fellow AK-er.
- Sold my Mirage M5-si speakers and Music Hall Marimba speakers on ebay.
- The Focal Daline 3 speakers I decided to keep were murdered by the cat.
- I got some Boston HD5's free from another AKer but they needed foam. The friend I asked to refoam them still hasn't gotten to them, lol.
- At that point I just said 'meh' and packed up all my audio stuff and was content to listen on the computer with my AudioEngine D1 and Audio Technica headphones.

Then I got my new job and decided it was time to rebuild. I started by picking up a set of Focal 705V's on closeout:

H1Qq64Y.jpg

They sound great, but can't quite match the bass response of the transmission-line Dalines, and are a bit undersized for my space. Turning the loudness knob up on my amp a little bit helps. They'll do for now.

Then I picked up my first DAC and first tube anything, a Musical Paradise MPD1 mk2:

FpaGu8n.jpg

Also pictured - cheap TEAC CD player and iPod full of ALAC files, some Amazon special power conditioner, some BJC cables, and my prized $2.25 Onkyo cassette deck.

Then I pulled my Technics SL-1500 (with SL-1200mk2 feet and dust cover) out of mothballs:

OQkBzhj.jpg

And last weekend, I got the last piece of the puzzle, from AK-er silversport:

UjwLMD1.png

My first McIntosh, an MA6200! I pestered him about this thing for ages, but eventually we were able to meet up and get the transaction done. It really does sound fantastic. It's got an older workover from Audio Classics, and apart from a couple of bad bulbs, it's in great shape. I've probably heard a couple of dozen integrateds over the years, and this is the first one to knock my former Onkyo Integra A8087 off it's pedestal as my favorite.

Eventual plans are to move up the Focal line for speakers, maybe to a set of Aria 906's or something. And then maybe find a second-hand McIntosh D100 DAC. I'd also like to get a small computer and external HDD to keep my audio files on/surf the internet while on my listening couch.

But for now, I'm very happy with what I've got! Also, I'd like to buy a house sooner than later so I'll probably not be spending too much on audio for a while.

Very nice! My Focals needed tweeter taming but once that was done I really like them. I always thought the 5 band on the Macs was probably perfect tone control and may be able to drag some low end out of your monitors. Enjoy!

Great start and good looking setup. My concerns about Focal speakers has always been the compromise of giving up Bass for the Mids and Highs that they deliver. I have an older pair of JM Labs Tantal 509s which are great speakers but again lack the bass slam. Even some of the floor standing models have similar attributes but can be tamed by unconventional methods. You may want to look at some of the Dynaudio speakers in similar range if you want Bass.

Great start and good looking setup. My concerns about Focal speakers has always been the compromise of giving up Bass for the Mids and Highs that they deliver. I have an older pair of JM Labs Tantal 509s which are great speakers but again lack the bass slam. Even some of the floor standing models have similar attributes but can be tamed by unconventional methods. You may want to look at some of the Dynaudio speakers in similar range if you want Bass.

I'm not really crazy about a bass-heavy sound, I just want to hear it. The Dalines had the right amount to me, and an impressive bass quality in such a small speaker. But the 705's really are thin in that department.

I used to have a set of DCM CX-27's. Those things would shake the house apart if you let them.

I'm not really crazy about a bass-heavy sound, I just want to hear it. The Dalines had the right amount to me, and an impressive bass quality in such a small speaker. But the 705's really are thin in that department.

I used to have a set of DCM CX-27's. Those things would shake the house apart if you let them.
Are they intended for more of a close-range setup?

My listening couch is about 7 feet from my speakers. Which is about the distance I've seen recommended for the 705's.

But the actual room space is large - it's a finished basement. And is much larger than the room size Focal suggests. So, that's part of my problem for sure.

Last edited:
I was a bit wary of buying it without ever hearing one, but I have to say I really love the MP DAC. I bought the no-frills version, with no tube upgrades and for the price I can't imagine there's much better out there. Maybe someday in the future I'll do some upgrading but for now I'm very happy with this thing, both in sound and build quality.

I run a pair of Focal 807v's and love them. They were reviews as being clinical and cold but my Sansui 2000a amp seems to send them warm analog love. These speakers really do shine. I rarely see Focal speakers here which is a shame.

Mine shock me with bass ( Focal 807v's on stands). I have a Todd Terry drum and bass record that blows people away. Literally everyone I've played the record for asks where I hid the sub. I have the tone control for bass set +1 notch above zero (yes, loudness is on too). I was running a 2m Red cart and have recently upgraded to the 2m Blue. I've actually turned the bass down justa touch (with only 2 hours on it so far). Its true that my Public Enemy records are missing some low end, but I have to say mine amaze me.

I shelled out for a brand-new set of tweeters for the Daline 3's, thus probably guaranteeing I'll have them forever, and now they're back in the mix:

30013661533_800b14294f_h.jpg[

With upgraded tweets and McIntosh amplification, they've never sounded better :)

Very Nice, Very Cool of You to Go Back to School and Get a Better Job Congrats. :thumbsup:

Thanks for Sharing, Mike.

Hyfi wrote:
My concerns about Focal speakers has always been the compromise of giving up Bass for the Mids and Highs that they deliver.

You must have an older pair of JM Lab speakers. I have a pair of Focal 806V mounted on Focal S700 stands. Room is 154 Sq Ft and powered by a McIntosh MA6200. My Focals do not compromise. From bass to midrange to treble, the 806Vs are the best speakers I have ever owned, and have a sound that is hard to describe. Focal said the sound is 3D holographic texture that are non-fatiguing. You need to hear these speakers for yourself, and they deserve to be on the short list for speaker shopping.

Back
Top Bottom