Sansui AU-555A Rebuild Cap Coupled Goodness

What a great inspirational thread! I am now recapping my second 555a -
Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the 10D1 diodes in the AU555a with some "better" types - switching soft recovery type ?

Thanks in advance,

What a great inspirational thread! I am now recapping my second 555a -
Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the 10D1 diodes in the AU555a with some "better" types - switching soft recovery type ?

Thanks in advance,

If you are going to replace them use 1N5392 - this is the direct replacement, and is what I would use.

I am not recommending it, but if you want to try an ultrafast recovery type here is one:-
http://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/ON-Semiconductor/MUR120RLG/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtbRapU8LlZD9Yt6EMzPspS2typOwY7%2b%2bs=

Last edited:
I'm interested in having my 555a recapped/restored as it sounds to me like the right channel is a bit weaker than the left.

I don't have the skillset to do this on my own.... anyone in this thread point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

If you are going to replace them use 1N5392 - this is the direct replacement, and is what I would use.

I am not recommending it, but if you want to try an ultrafast recovery type here is one:-
http://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/ON-Semiconductor/MUR120RLG/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtbRapU8LlZD9Yt6EMzPspS2typOwY7%2b%2bs=

Thanks for your reply!
I am asking because I just read about changing the diodes in this thread
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....ild-wolf-in-sheep-clothing-in-5-steps.652491/
and "patfont" speaks highly of it.
In the case of the 505 it is a common cathode diode - But would a regular independent diode from the same series be suitable for the 555a ?

Thanks in advance,

When you mention 'common cathode' diodes - that suggests 2 diodes in a (3 legged) package, this means that a pair of correctly orientated/connected single diodes will do the trick.

When you mention 'common cathode' diodes - that suggests 2 diodes in a (3 legged) package, this means that a pair of correctly orientated/connected single diodes will do the trick.

Exactly,
then these to diode arrangement looks the same to me except for the different diode types:

Sansui AU555A

l_1920797694.jpg

Sansui AU505

l_712546192.jpg

regards

The AU-555a diodes are singles, and the AU-505 'diode' appears to be a similarly rated dual type (common cathode).

Well obviously you can use singles to replace a dual - but not the other way round as provision on the PCB will be different.

Just make sure the ratings of the ones you are replacing are matched or superseded by the substitutes.

Well obviously you can use singles to replace a dual - but not the other way round as provision on the PCB will be different.

Just make sure the ratings of the ones you are replacing are matched or superseded by the substitutes.

The diodes on the 555 on the left

IMG_3802-L.jpg

borrowed picture,

Last edited:
Nice recap! Enjoyed the discussion of various cap types etc. still amazes me how great these machines are. Right now am listening to the Stranger Things soundtrack and doing a blind A/B/C of a ST-70(with Marantz SC-6 pre)/rebuilt-AU-777A/stock-AU-505 comparison. The 777A is king, but the 505 is pretty magical too. Might have to bring the rebuilt 555A or 505 back into rotation!

On the UFO transistors, I replace them all and have stopped testing them. Aside from complete failure or very noisy and obvious issues, transistors also start to fail or have failure modes which are not total failure, but just get noisy and it is not that obvious at first. Having multiple stock units of the same model made for some interesting comparisons with no input and the volume up comparing the hiss. I've made started collecting noise floor recordings of various amps before and after replacing various components; the UFO (and other transistors) can sometimes be a bit noisy and it's not obvious that it has a problem. Maybe I will do a thread on all of that and rat out the most common culprits and key component locations when I have time to plot noise analysis of the samples. It's also interesting to make recordings or analysis the noise whilst removing various parts of the EM protection in the various amps. Yes, you do need the metal cover over the tone boards in the AU-777 even though it's pretty far from the power supply....(a pity since my AU-777A with transparent lid looks cooler if the preamp cover is removed)

A properly recapped 555A is audio nirvana to my ears. Again, congrats on the beautiful rebuild and congrats to the owner.

I just got one of these and it does not have the UFO transistors, it has Sanyo C875E's. They look original. I wonder if these were a later model substitution?

Attachments

• IMG_2664.JPG
    IMG_2664.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_2665.JPG
    IMG_2665.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 120
Patfont. Did you identify any cap upsizing in the power supply?

I'm restoring one of these now.

Back
Top Bottom