Blu-Ray Ownership Poll (Please Vote and Post)

Which option best describes your current status with the Blu-Ray format?

• I am already an owner of a Blu-ray device.

Votes: 220 45.2%
  • I do not own a Blu-Ray Player, but I may buy one in the next 3 months.

Votes: 22 4.5%
  • I do not own a Blu-Ray DVD Player, but it is very likely that I will, someday.

Votes: 141 29.0%
  • I do not own a Blu-Ray DVD Player and I do not intend to purchase one.

Votes: 97 19.9%
  • Something else. Please tell us.

Votes: 7 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have 4 of them. Considering they start at like $40 or $50 bucks, I don't understand why anyone wouldn't have one. My Sony plays SACD too! Plus you need HDMI to go multichannel Hi-Res to a receiver so if you have a home theater set up its a must. I'm shocked that anyone who calls him/herself an audiophile wouldn't have one for Hi-Res digital audio like SACD, BluRay Audio, DVDA or music from a portable hard drive which they do via USB. Plus most of them do streaming services too, like Netflix and all. Honestly, to me, a BluRay player is the most essential and accessible (financially) tool for anyone who listens to music or. Watches TV. I have a decent vinyl setup, but it can't compare to BluRay Audio in 5.1, if you're only listening to stereo, you're missing out IMHO.

Recently got a Sony that does DVD and SACD. And Dolby/DTS surround. Doesn't do Blue Ray though.

My old Samsung Blue Ray doesn't work for all that other stuff for me. So this Sony has opened up my surround audio experience a lot.

if you're only listening to stereo, you're missing out IMHO.

I would not have agreed with this a month ago, but I do now!

Last edited:
Got tons of BDPs - picking them up in thrifts for cheap now. Not so much for playing BDs but for the Netflix etc. streaming. Have one good one; an Oppo 103 with the latest version Roku streaming stick in it, interfaces with my old 2 channel stuff very nicely! That was really the reason for getting it; it's almost like a little AV system without the receiver, great for bedroom, can feed either 2 channel or multi-channel. Currently playing through a Sansui 2000A and video goes to a 23" 1080p computer monitor.

Recently got a Sony that does DVD and SACD. And DVDA, and Dolby/DTS surround. Doesn't do Blue Ray though.

My old Samsung Blue Ray doesn't work for all that other stuff for me. So this Sony has opened up my surround audio experience a lot.

My Sony BluRay player was like $100 and it had a ton of apps, 3D, plays SACD and since its goes direct digital, my receiver is responsible for the processing which I think works great.
For DVDA which is a non Sony platform, I picked up a used Oppo DVD player with HDMI out so it's basically just a transport to send high resolution surround to the receiver. It plays SACD too, but it changes the signal from DSD to PCM so for those I stick with the Sony and my Sony receiver decodes the native DSD signal from the BluRay player. It all works out really well.

One nice thing about DVDA is that I think most of them will play on any DVD player and give you Dolby Digital 5.1, but most of them have a high res 24/96 version in 5.1 surround when played through a DVDA player. Oppo has great universal disc players now that basically get the best out of whatever you throw at them with analog and digital outputs. I got my used one for $65 plus shipping on eBay but it's 10 years old. Combined with the Sony, I can play just about any disc in Hi-Res for under $200.

I think the Oppo 103/105 at some point got a firmware update and will output DSD.over HDMI so you don't actually need the Sony anymore if you have one of those Oppos

Personally I like the Oppo/Roku solution better than two players - after getting the Oppo I did probably about what you are doing, I left the Sony hooked up for the apps, but a $50 Roku has so much more, now the Sony is in a spare bedroom...

Bought one recently only for easier connectivity with a new TV and it's WIFI ability to stream Netflix, otherwise I could care less for the format.

Sony's top model BDP-S6500, tiny plastic piece of crap that needs something on top to keep the cables from pulling it off the shelf it weighs so little, but it serves the purpose I bought it for. I have a Sony DVP-NS900V also connected for actually watching movies and listening to music on that system.

Recently got a Sony that does DVD and SACD. And DVDA, and Dolby/DTS surround. Doesn't do Blue Ray though.

What Sony is that? I have yet to see one that does DVD-A. Main reason I only have one Sony DVD player (in 3rd bedroom for CD/SACD playback) and have given away most of the cheap older Sony BDPs I've picked up in thrifts. My "good" BDP is an Oppo 103 for media and a Roku stick for streaming.

DVP-NC875V. But my mistake, it does not do DVD-A. I'll edit my other post.

Didn't mean to come across as if I was busting on you, I just know that Sony was really invested in SACD and as such wanted DVD-A to fail. Both my Samsung players and my Oppos do do both, although I don't have any media to play. I also have a Toshiba HD-DVD player stashed in the top of a closet, and I have a 4 channel R2R, both functional but with no media to play. Because, well, it's cheaper than a heroin habit I guess.

I've got a Denon DVD-1940CI that's supposed to do DVD-A but I've never tried it. ...don't have any and most likely never will.

I watch bluray with a PS3 or on a computer drive. I may eventually spring for an OPPO ultra HD player and also move from a 55 inch to 65 in display. Also would require a new receiver. Really no rush as I view little TV or movies in the home any more.

Had one. Broke down. Went into buy another one and as I was looking at the models, I realized...I really don't use them often enough to warrant having another metal box with wires in my house. That was 3 years ago, haven't really missed owning one.

I had one for many years, because I bought a ps3 at launch. I've never played a single blu-ray movie on it since. I do own over 100 titles on DVD though. I didn't buy a 1080p TV until 2012, bought another 2013. Was perfectly happy with two 720p TVs from 2002-1012, only got rid of them because I was moving cross country, I think my parents still have one of them, a Sony rear projection LCD, the internet used to hate on the model claiming the bulbs needed changing every 200 hours of use. Far as I know my parents are still using it without ever changing the bulb.

Bought my first BRP about 7 years ago, just sold it as I upgraded recently to an Oppo 105 with a region-free mod. The Oppo definitely loads faster and has much higher picture quality than my old BRP. DVD picture quality is also better, must have better upsampling capability.

I sold my Oppo Bdp 105 about 6 months ago and now I have a Sony x800 Ultra 4k HDR player. I sold my Emotiva and Outlaw gear (except one Outlaw amp) I replaced them with a Marantz SR6011 for Atmos and HDR. I recently added the four in-ceiling speakers to my 5.1 system for an Atmos 5.1.4. I use the Marantz as a preamp and use four of its powered channels to power the in-ceiling height channels.

I wasn't impressed when people jumped on the wagon to go from 5.1 to 7 or 9 or 11.1 surrounds. I was bored and unimpressed with 4k TV's. I really wasn't that impressed with truehd sound either… but when Atmos hit, WOW. Immersion speakers really do up the quality and movie experience by a lot!

4k didn't do much for me, but HDR, WOW. biggest jumps in Home Theater since surround speakers.

Back
Top Bottom