Just bought a russian lens....from Russia

1970's Fan

I just bought a 1956 Jupiter 8 : 50mm lens on ebay. My wife thinks it's cool that it's the same age as I am lol.
I got an adapter on its way too. I got it for my Fujifilm X-Pro1. I plan to get an adapter to use my Carl Zeiss 50mm and 70 - 210mm lenses From my Contax film camera.
image.jpeg

Lots of fun adapting those old manual lenses on digital cameras. My fave 50 is a Minolta 1.4. Tack sharp, great for handheld close up shots.

The feature I like on the Fuji Xpro1 is the focus peaking highlights round the target to show when it's in focus. It's just a pity the marching ants are in white only. I sent an email to Fuji suggesting red as an optional coloured highlight. Perhaps others have done the same and with a bit of luck it will be included in the next firmware upgrade.

Older Sony Nex / newer Sony A5000 & 6000 have yellow and red peaking focus. I read that most people use red with manual lenses, but I liker yellow.

The Minolta 50 1.4 is in my bag always. Peaking is set to yellow, can't wait to try it out on the TAP.

Going by how Fuji do things, I am confident of them introducing more colours of focus peaking quite soon.

Russia has many german-based optics clones that have outstanding build quality and a very strong character, definitely great value-for-money. The standouts are the Jupiter-9 85mm ƒ/2.0 portrait lens, the Jupiter/Pentacon 135mm ƒ/2.8 and the Helios/Cyclop 85mm ƒ/1.5 ;)

The photos I've seen from the Jupiter11 135mm lens look great so as soon as I have enough to spare I'll be getting one and a Fuji 50-230mm too. I like the look of the Fuji 50-140 but there's no way I can afford it.

I recently got a Russian Helios 44-2 f2/58mm, but I only ordered it from Texas.... It came attached to a Zenit B slr, too. I'm shooting some film in the Zenit now, some exposures with the Helios, but I've also gotten good results using the Helios on my Pentax K10D dslr.

Some of the Russian (Soviet) lenses have amazing glass... there are stories that when they invaded Germany and took over Zeiss that a great deal of zeiss glass was used in their early lenses... especailly at the KMZ factory... so the earlier the serial number the better... also, there are tales online that the lowest numbers were reserved for party members and special care was used to select the best performing lenses. In any case, many interesting lenses... I have several (MTO-1100A, Tair 11a, Tair 37A, Jupiter 11A, helios). It is worth mentioning that several of the lenses like the Jupiter, Tair, MTO and Mir have the letter "A" following the model number. These are awesome because the attachment can be removed and replaced to fit different camera makes without worries of losing infinity focus etc... there are adapters for Nikon for example.. they are called KP-A/N adapters.. You juet remove 3 set screws and the old mount comes off and the new one goes on... it's brilliant... Also some of the old Helios and Tair lenses have different numbers of blades (6, 8, 13, 16, 20). This is cool because it seriously impacts the Bekoh... I bought my lenses about a year ago but then life took over and I never really got an opportunity to play with them... this thread reminds me that I need to get back to that!!!

I recently got a Russian Helios 44-2 f2/58mm, but I only ordered it from Texas.... It came attached to a Zenit B slr, too. I'm shooting some film in the Zenit now, some exposures with the Helios, but I've also gotten good results using the Helios on my Pentax K10D dslr.
I have the zenith 19 and et.Also kiev and praktica ltl.At the end of ww2 the Russians took whole factorys and plans back to the motherland.Zenit still make cameras to this day .I find the Russian /german glass very nice and the cameras are simple ,tuff,reliable products.Some were terrible as the workers were drunk all the time as they were paid in vodka if paid atall .Translated into our dollars for the time period their cameras were a screaming bargain.Some are highly sought after.I had pics of all my cameras on here but I was caught in the photobucket nonsence.

Back
Top Bottom