Gear rack/stands

View attachment 786308

I replaced my Flexy rack with this setup. Total spent was less than $150 courtesy of Target sale. I'd love a "real" Audio Rack but I'm just not ready to spend 2K+. I looked into building a 80/20 rack but even that was coming in at close to 1K.

i'm down with saving the $$ but i do have a question (please don't see this as an attack): You've spent thousands of dollars just on your turntable setup alone (not to mention the money spent on the rest), but then you sit it on top of a piece of hollowed, pressed plywood. Isn't that undoing all you've spent to do? Why draw the line there? Do you just believe that any stand is fine? Isn't it sort of like putting Goodyear Eagle tires on a Ferrari?

Again, I'm actually asking your opinion - this isn't some veiled passive-aggressive way of attacking you. It does look nice, either way.

i'm down with saving the $$ but i do have a question (please don't see this as an attack): You've spent thousands of dollars just on your turntable setup alone (not to mention the money spent on the rest), but then you sit it on top of a piece of hollowed, pressed plywood. Isn't that undoing all you've spent to do? Why draw the line there? Do you just believe that any stand is fine? Isn't it sort of like putting Goodyear Eagle tires on a Ferrari?

Again, I'm actually asking your opinion - this isn't some veiled passive-aggressive way of attacking you. It does look nice, either way.

I totally get your point. I tell myself the SRA platform should make up for the short comings of the furniture. I'm sure something like the Mapleshade Sampson turntable rack or something similar might improve things but for now this will have to do. Once the right side of the shelving is loaded with 150 albums, I figure the weight of the equipment plus the records will have made the rack pretty vibration resistant.

Someday when the right deal/time comes along I'll get a "real" rack and just use this for record storage, but in the meantime I have other things higher up on my list.

20160709_152204.jpg 20160709_153146.jpg Found this Climax sewing table, to house a turntable. Have since cleaned and polyurethane coated wood, as is, to leave patina. Still have not found place for it yet.

Picked this one up at COSTCO. I was tired of looking and this works...for now. Very sturdy & heavy..weighs 125 LBS. MDF but doesn't feel it.

index.php

Two Kmart wire racks with 2" Menards wheels added. Bungi cords to hold things down. Is the back supposed to look like this? :D

Last edited:
I have several racks, tubs, etc from a 60's Sony recording studio that I plan to use to make a large stand to hold a couple of systems. I used one to make a single rack for my office and it turned out fairly nice. I had some bamboo flooring I cut out to fill the center for the turntable.

IMG_1612.jpg
IMG_1651.jpg IMG_1657.jpg

Back
Top Bottom