What is the one amp you would love to have

kwa150seft.jpg

Modwright KWA 150 SE - mission complete

If you had asked me this a couple of years ago I would have said Mcintosh MC30 but happily I was able to obtain a pair last year.
Now I think it would be fun to own a pair of MC3500 or any of the upper end Nelson Pass amplifiers, but alas I prefer to live in a house as opposed to a cardboard box because I wouldn't be able to afford those amplifiers without selling the house. LOL

Seriously?
I did a little reading
Really just one 6 moons review.
I found one listed in the Netherlands for 31,000 euro ( I hope I'm not stepping over the line into D&S)
That seems (to me) to be a lot of $ for a used amp from a company that doesn't seem to exist anymore.
For the record, it does in fact look nice, appear to be well built and got reviewed well.
How'd you come up with that one?

Tenor a very boutique manufacture that if you haven't heard of, you likely can't afford.

They have some interesting takes on how the hearing process and audio reproduction interact.

The little a saw, it looked very well made. I think i posted earlier in this thread i thought most of us would be happy with any of the suggestions (perhaps after having the opportunity of hearing them all we'd have our preferences, and likely not the one we came in with?). As you said if 31,000 euros is a used price for a Tenor, i cannot afford it (honestly if i could i think i'd have a hard time rationalizing it. That would be everyone's personal choice. Also i acknowledge i might feel differently if money were no object. )

Several weeks ago, I heard the Parasound P5 preamp in combination with a Parasound 250 wpc (@ 8 ohms) Halo A21 amplifier at a local hi-fi shop and damn near melted into the floor due to the surreal placement of the instrumentalists on the sound stage. If I had spare cash just sitting around, I'd grab an A21 in a heartbeat.

Parasound Halo A21.jpg

Seriously?
I did a little reading
Really just one 6 moons review.
I found one listed in the Netherlands for 31,000 euro ( I hope I'm not stepping over the line into D&S)
That seems (to me) to be a lot of $ for a used amp from a company that doesn't seem to exist anymore.
For the record, it does in fact look nice, appear to be well built and got reviewed well.
How'd you come up with that one?

Yes, seriously.
And the company is alive and doing quite well actually. All their stuff is built locally (Montreal).
Most of their clients who can afford this type of stuff are in the orient, although Tenor does have a number of clients in North America.
I have had the pleasure of hearing one, along with other stuff from them. It really is something else.
Not for the faint-hearted, to be sure. $$$$$

My preference would be for a LAMM tube for midrange duty. I think that'd fit in nicely with my other parts of the chain

Realistically, a brand new Yamaha Aventage for home theater, with at least 100 watts/channel (150 preferably), at least 5 preouts (main, rear, center) for to expand if I wish, and 2 sub preouts. For a separate system just for music, the newest biggest baddest Yamaha integrated stereo amp.

If I won the lottery and could blow tens of thousands in audio bliss, I've only been recently looking at high end audio online and I've come to really dig the McIntosh and Legacy Audio brands... They sure do sound pretty through the pictures on their websites on my shiny glossy phone screen.

Even if I won millions, I'd be hard pressed to buy very high end expensive prestine gear. I'd probably rather buy my close friends and family high end Yamaha or something instead. I'd have to try out that tube stuff though and get some reel to reel tapes straight from the masters :)

Back
Top Bottom