Recent content by 1963Healey

1. 1

Dynaco ST-70 pre amp question

I just built a Dynaco ST-70 kit from Bob Latino. It sounds great but I need a preamp. I have a couple of Marantz 1060 amps lying around. Question: Should I just use one of the 1060s as a pre amp or should I look for a tube pre amp or something better?
  2. 1

Quad FM British tuners

What type of tube tuner might go well with my system? I'm getting a Dynaco ST70 kit, Dual 1129, KLH 5 or 6 speakers, I also have several Marantz receivers, 2230, 2235, 2240. Maybe I could use one of those.
  3. 1

Quad FM British tuners

Hi, I'm interested in getting an old British Quad FM tuner, maybe tube. Are these really good tuners and could I pull in an FM station from 45 miles away with a decent antenna? I have no issue pulling this station in with my car radios but cannot do it with my stationary tuners or radios...
  4. 1

Which is the best Marantz receiver?

So, I have the chance to buy a Marantz 2265 for $350 with wood case, which needs some new veneer. There are a couple lights out, but the unit works fine. SHould I pull the trigger or wait for a 2270 to come along????
  5. 1

OK, I can pick up a 2265 working except for a couple of lights with a wood case for $350. Is that a good deal or just fair? As far as BMW, I will take my 2006 550i over all the rest except a newer M3 or M5. But I wouldn't shy away from a newer 335D with 430 foot pounds of torque and 37mpg.
  6. 1

Opportunity to buy 2265, Price right?

I have the opportunity to but a Marantz 2265 for $350 with wood case. The case needs some work but I have walnut veneer and experience. The unit is working but has a light or two burned out. It this a fair deal? I currently have Marantz 1060 (3) and a 2235 receiver, which I love. They all...
  7. 1

Thanks to all who have replied. I really appreciate it. I asked this general question to find out how I might stratify my searching and subsequent acquisition of vintage Marantz gear. I thought that the question was implicit in that I was asking an opinion. Of course we are dealing with...
  8. 1

Howdy Ya'll, I really love the nice warm sound of the Marantz amps and receivers. I currently have three 1060s and a 2235. I'm about to pick up a 2240 as well. Anyway, what is the most desirable and best sounding Marantz amp or receiver? I've got a line on a 2275 as potentially my next...
  9. 1

interface between I-Pod and Marantz 1060?

I'm having an issue with hooking up my I-Pod to my Marantz 1060 amp and on my Marantz 2235 receiver. The music sounds like crap. This I-Pod is 8 years old so I think it actually has a small hard drive of 8G. I'm using the headphone jack and running it into thr RCA in for Aux. Also, the...
  10. 1

Where do I find speaker surround dope?

KLH surround dope Thanks a lot everybody for advice. I think that I'm going to use the thinned silicone/latex caulk. I will thin with water. I want the properties of the compound to be strong and very flexible yet light. I can almost see through the speaker surround now. I thin I'll try a...
  11. 1

Where do I find speaker surround dope?

I just picked up a pair of nice KLH 17s and the speakers are very dry and bare on the perimeters. They do sound great though. Where can I find speaker surround dope? I checked Ebay under Vintage AR and couldn't find anything. Does anybody have a link? Thanks!
  12. 1

Marantz 1060 Amp versus Marantz Receivers?

Hi All, I have a couple Marantz 1060 amps I'm getting repaired and I wondered how does the Marantz 1060 compare to Marantz receivers such as the 2265, 2275, 2285? Obviously, the receivers put out more power but what about the sound quality, is it the same, comparable? I have a Dual 1229...
  13. 1

KLH model 6 issues??

I'm in the middle of rebuilding some KLH model 6 speakers from 1964. Well, I have removed the backs and the fronts, all intact. It wasn't easy. I have the crossovers I'm rebuilding too. New caps and resistors. I made a cleat with wood inside of the cabinet at the back, just like the front...
  14. 1

Rebuilding KLH 6 speakers!

KLH model 6 speakers I forgot to add. I need a source for grill material and the black material that covers the woofer front and back. Thanks!
  15. 1

Rebuilding KLH 6 speakers!

I'm in the process of rebuilding soem KLH 6 speakers I got off of Ebay. The tweeters do not work so I'm assuming the crossovers are bad. I ordered all the caps and resistors. I took the back off of the cabinet. Now, these are old KLH 6s as they do not come apart. I had to cut with a thin...
Back
Top Bottom