Recent content by 1tumbleweed

1. 1tumbleweed

Retail (vintage/high end) Audio, secret handshake or something?

I managed a new/vintage store for around four years a long time ago, and I would never consider not demo'ing a piece of gear - new or used - for someone who exhibited a sincere interest in a purchase. If they (the seller) can't be bothered, then I(the buyer) can't be bothered to buy from them...
  2. 1tumbleweed

Any sense looking for a "higher end" 8 track player?

Dude: Your suggestion is helpful, but folks who try this should be aware it will only work with certain types of carts. There are quite a few different shells, so that method likely won't be effective on those that have press-fit pins rather than tabs, or a variant type of locking device. I can...
  3. 1tumbleweed

Looking for a restored Walkman ... suggestions?

This may or may not help, but I've bought several units over the years, and I've had much better luck with Panasonics than Sonys. Every Sony I've ever bought had something-or-other wrong with it. Aiwas are great, too, but seem to be harder to find. Good luck!
  4. 1tumbleweed

There's no encoding on a quad 8T - there are four discrete channels. So, unlike quad LPs, you really can't play a quad 8T on a standard 2ch player - well, you can, but you'll lose the back channels. Quad reels are the same as 8Ts - four actual separate channels.
  5. 1tumbleweed

"...Or it might just be that way because this is a "quadraphonic" player." Yep. Quad 8Ts have only have two programs,, unlike the regular four on a regular one. So, four gaps instead of two. I didn't even notice in your pic that that was a quad machine!
  6. 1tumbleweed

Time to repost my detailed rundown from waaaaay beck, I s'pose: As a self-proclaimed 8 track expert (collecting since the late '60s) and a buyer and seller of tapes and players for ages, here's my purely subjective opinion on the top players: 1. Akai CR80, '81. NOT the GXR-82D - the...
  7. 1tumbleweed

anyone else running vintage Empire carts?

@wualta: Would the extant Canadian Astatic catalog be of any help? (Pure conjecture on my part without actually checking):dunno:
  8. 1tumbleweed

Is the Black Widow that good?

Left field suggestion: AT55XE, if you can find one.
  9. 1tumbleweed

What are these across speaker terminals ?

Yeah, but... This is a SS amp.
  10. 1tumbleweed

What are these across speaker terminals ?

They appear to be load resistors. No clue why they are there - unlikely to do what you suggested.
  11. 1tumbleweed

I can't speak to current availabilities, but I bought some excellent aftermarkets some years back. My LTD400 has a NOS Canadian Astatic S500-ID (or EM131ED) (purple) that's been my favorite for some time. I also have an LTD500 with a 4242-DEX (also purple) from Gary at Voice of Music. Both seem...
  12. 1tumbleweed

Looking through my literature, I have one quote for the EDR.9 as 5.3 grams net weight. "High Fidelity" magazine says 4.33 grams without the stylus guard. "Audio" magazine says 5.2 grams. Take yer pick.
  13. 1tumbleweed

I guess I'm the outlier once again - reading about all these problems with clips and blobs and brackets and whatnot - and I'm happy I took a turn at the crossroads to concentrate on chunkies instead. I'm happy with my several LTDs and a couple of P60s, plus my old reliable Audio Technicas...
  14. 1tumbleweed

So he says, I was using my Crosley to listen to some vinyls.

Hot funk, cool punk, even if it's old junk, it's all rock and roll to me.
Back
Top Bottom