Recent content by 45rpmspinner

1. 45rpmspinner

Let's See Your Modest Tube System

Only tubes I run atm... Preamp feeds Class D amps.
  2. 45rpmspinner

KLH Speaker

Doesn't look like any KLH speaker, from any time period, that I've ever seen. My guess is one of the Pioneer CS models........but with a replacement woofer.
  3. 45rpmspinner

Let's hear your horror stories and close calls!

The engine was dieseling at full throttle [carbon build-up in the head], which is why the kill switch didn't work. Pulling the spark plug leads wouldn't have worked in this case as there was no spark. Common sense says to put the bike into gear and hold tight to the brakes. Kill it that way. I...
  4. 45rpmspinner

Had that happen once when working on a Suzuki 500 twin two-stroke. Kill switch didn't work. We turned off the gas at the tank. Didn't stop as fast as we would've liked, but at that high of rpm it ran out of gas fast enough that the engine survived.
  5. 45rpmspinner

I used to do a lot of electrical work, held a journeyman's license for years. Thus, I've been a zapped a few times...including a painful experience with 150A 220V service straight off the pole [my own stupid mistake]. The time I remember the most was when a paint crew idiot started flipping...
  6. 45rpmspinner

KLH Model 7/Sealed KLH Crossover Repair

Problems with the hands are most definitely a drawback in this case. Honestly, I doubt I could do it again. Seven years ago it was very difficult, these days the arthritis is worse. My hand locked up the other day while writing out a single check. Alternatively, one could carefully cut the...
  7. 45rpmspinner

I'm not sure what you're asking. So, maybe we should start at the beginning? Don't cut the new cap leads. They need to be long enough to twist together with the wiring so the joints can be soldered. They can be trimmed after twisting if there's excess. The length of the wires are, in...
  8. 45rpmspinner

Any cat lovers here?

I've got one of those too. Not quite as hefty as yours, but still, he's twice as big as our other cat. Goes by the name of Biggie. Actually a very sweet cat, but getting him even mildly excited, while within reach, is a mistake. Claws and canine teeth are fully 1 inch long. He can send you to...
  9. 45rpmspinner

AK Retiree Club

Certainly not for everyone. My wife loved her last job. It was high paying, had great benefits, and involved a good bit of travel to international as well major U.S. cities [which she often managed to turn into vacations]. By working between 65 and 70 she basically doubled her SS benefits and...
  10. 45rpmspinner

AK Retiree Club

It's worth pointing out that the 8% increase per year for delaying SS benefits is the minimum. It's possible to get more than that if you continue to work and make more [adjusted for inflation] than you did when you were younger....up to the point where you hit max benefit level. In other...
  11. 45rpmspinner

Fosi Audio ZA3 - Initial Review

Actually, no, I've never experienced "boom" with TPA 32xx based amps. Usually people are impressed with the control they exert in the lower frequencies. The damping factor is normally quite high. I'm not familiar with your speaker mods, but sounds like they can go very low. Perhaps the ZA3...
  12. 45rpmspinner

The capacitors in the speakers are hooked together in parallel. Thus you could use a single 12uf, or 2 6uf connected in parallel. The schematic shown above is correct. Good luck with the project. Probably the toughest speakers to work on that I know of.
  13. 45rpmspinner

Are these Phenolic Ring Tweeters bad?

Been a long time since I've seen any Bolivars. You mean the orange foam ring? I think it's there for dispersion purposes. Might sound a bit different without it. Maybe cut a replacement ring out of foam or felt and see what you think?
  14. 45rpmspinner

Altec 601C Duplex speakers in Barzilay Speaker Cabinets - $500

These have been listed before. I would've jumped if the drivers were ok. Aren't those original tweeters notably fragile? I seem to recall that once they're gone, you're more or less screwed. The cabinets themselves are worth a bit. Very pretty when cleaned up. They're Barzilay. Originally held...
Back
Top Bottom