Recent content by 6BQ5

1. 6

Onkyo TA-RW144 vs TA-RW411 - upgrade?

I currently have the RW144 and I'm generally very happy with it. My local Goodwill has the RW411. Is the RW411 more a better playing deck than the RW144? I bought my RW144 from the same local Goodwill and it was in nearly new condition. The RW411 looks used but is not in terrible condition. I...
  2. 6

Anyone have any info on a Pioneer CT-850 deck?

I am thinking of buying a system off of my local Craigslist for a Pioneer system consisting of a PL-950 TT, a GR-555 equalizer, a SG-550 eq, a TX-950 tuner, and a CT-850 cassette deck. It seems like these components made up a pretty common configuration at one time. Lots of information is...
  3. 6

Why does my preamp go put-put-put-put?

Sorry for seemingly dropping this thread ... got wrapped up at work and home. I was finally able to play around with my set up. My turntable is a first generation Pioneer PL 600. I had a Shure M97 on it when I started this thread and now I have a Shure V15 Type IV with JICO SAS stylus. My...
  4. 6

Cartridge overhang gauge? Which one is good?

Thanks for the replies, everyone! :) I ended up using a combination of a right triangle and a metric ruler to get the stylus tip at 49 mm. It took me about 15 minutes. Then I used the same to get the cartridge with the stylus straight in that headshell. That was another 5-10. It's not perfect...
  5. 6

Haha! Some of you are having too much fun with this thread. ;) My pre amp is plugged into an Onkyo TX-NR545 receiver. I am using the line level input called "PC". Today was a crazy whirly day for me so I didn't have much free time. Tomorrow I will try a different input like CD or AUX. I have...
  6. 6

I'm using a Shure M97x on my Pioneer PL 600. The put-put happens even if I don't have anything connected to the preamp. I can't imagine I have two bad preamps. Could it coming through the power supplies? Maybe my power is dirty? -=- Boris
  7. 6

I just got an ARt DJ Pre II preamp. A very distinct put-put-put-put sound is coming from the preamp, even when not playing anything. My cheapie Pyle did the same thing too which is why I got this ART model. I thought the ART model wouldn't do this. I noticed the frequency of puttering is faster...
  8. 6

Thanks, everyone! How critical is it to hit that 49mm? What happens if I'm +/- 1-2mm? I may have been overthinking it. -=- Boris
  9. 6

I'm getting ready to install a new cartridge in a new headshell on my Pioneer PL-600. The overhang should be 49mm if I remember correctly. What is the best way to measure this distance? I see a few gauges on Amazon with good ratings. Any particular recommendations? Thanks! -=- Boris
  10. 6

Realistic R47ED-T (Shure M75?) opinions

Wow, too many choices for a Shure M75 cartridge! Heh! Jico's website has many conical and elliptical styli, one hyper elliptical stylus, and two SAS stylus. I wish there were just three: good, better, and best.
  11. 6

Realistic R47ED-T (Shure M75?) opinions

I was digging through my old box of trinkets and found a Realistic R47ED-T cartridge with a Shure 5X stylus. This was the cartridge that came with the Pioneer PL 600 I bought about seven years ago. It's been so long that I kind of forgot about it! Where does this cartridge rank? I assume it's...
  12. 6

Shure V15 Type IV cartridge health

Well, I did it ... !! I bought a Jico SAS stylus for my V15 Type IV from a seller on eBay. It cost $244 with shipping included. There's a part of me that is excited and another that feels scared. That stylus is so expensive! What if it gets crushed or the cartridge is ruined or the world cracks...
  13. 6

So the V15 vanished into the depths of history and nostalgia because of a material shortage ... yet this was Shure's greatest cartridge? How do Jico and the likes get around this? It seems there's a healthy market for replacement styli considering how much is being charged for them. I would...
  14. 6

So the modern day Shure M97x is a step backward in all aspects except for its availability. But, if Shure could only make one cartridge then why make the M97x instead of something like a V15? Did Shure think that most people simply wouldnt notice the difference? Or would a V15 be too expensive...
  15. 6

Great info! Thanks, everyone! :) @jrtrent : Is Shure saying the M97 is better than the V15 because they want to sell more cartridges or was there some technical advancement which makes the M97 truly better? Its an open question to all. Maybe better materials? Maybe better tolerances? I've...
Back
Top Bottom