Recent content by 83Hertz

1. 83Hertz

Sansui 3900Z FM tuner help...

I’m glad my question helped someone else too!
  2. 83Hertz

SE WI and NE IL in March - It's That Time Again!!!

I would be interested too!
  3. 83Hertz

Anyone here ever re-foam Nova 8b's?

I don’t think the slow return is actually a problem. I just checked mine and they return slowly when pressed in. I believe that’s a sign that the enclosure is well sealed. My surrounds are nice and soft. The stiff surrounds would absolutely kill bass. I’m wondering if somewhere along the line...
  4. 83Hertz

Anyone here ever re-foam Nova 8b's?

No bass and cracking sounds… are you sure the woofer doesn’t have a blown voice coil? Listening to a pair of 8b’s right now and they definitely have great low end…
  5. 83Hertz

Bob and Colette: thanks for hosting! I had a great time!! Brian Walsh: thanks for the setup on my turntable! Listening to it now and it sounds great!!
  6. 83Hertz

I think I’ll have to take advantage of this offer!
  7. 83Hertz

Is it too late to RSVP?
  8. 83Hertz

Really, another pair of speakers?! Nova 8b…

The new caps are in! I used the Dayton 1% caps. I did one speaker and compared new/old… and I don’t hear much of a difference… so I measured the old caps with my Fluke DVOM. The caps in speaker A measured 5.17 uF and 10.76 uF. Speaker B measured 5.06 uF and 9.25 uF. (OE was 4.7 uF and 10 uF)...
  9. 83Hertz

New DIY project, 6.5” 2 ways…

Exactly! The evidence would seem to indicate that there are places on the impedance curve of the woofer that are lower than the receiver can handle. Not at all surprising, especially on an $8 woofer… I would only disagree on the description of the volume level as “silly”. It wasn’t cranked, and...
  10. 83Hertz

Huh. I’m looking at these woofers on PE’s website and I’m wondering where I got the recommended enclosure size of 1.5 cubic feet?? They recommend .4 cubic feet in the current listing. Interesting. With that info I’m more interested in adding the second pair of woofers, but now I’m wondering if...
  11. 83Hertz

So I think I might play around with these things a little more… Here’s what I’m thinking: I was running these with my Sansui 3900z (which can handle 4 ohm loads according to the back panel) and noticed that the dial light dims with the bass… I wonder if the woofers are on the lower side of the...
  12. 83Hertz

We know that the caps used in these speakers are prone to drifting out of spec pretty far, I wonder if the 3 way 4 driver design of the 8b is just more sensitive to incorrect crossover points?
  13. 83Hertz

I -finally- got around to ordering new caps for the factory crossovers… can’t wait to see how much of a difference it makes…
  14. 83Hertz

Well that’s interesting! Too bad my iPhone doesn’t have a headphone jack… wonder if it would work with a lightning-to-headphone adapter…
  15. 83Hertz

Birthday project! Point-source desktop speakers!

They’re slot ported. Basically there’s a “false wall” on the inside that forms the port. It’s hard for me to explain but if you search for “slot ported speakers” on YouTube there’s some good videos that show how it’s done…
Back
Top Bottom