Recent content by AAMac

1. A

Efficient Modern Speakers?

Never heard of Zurich, and a google search isn't turning anything up. I had looked at Omega, but I'm a bit skeptical of fullrange drivers. Would like to hear some though. It still seems like most speakers are pretty power hungry these days, if you exclude high end boutique horn speakers. I like...
  2. A

Thanks for the input. I will definitely broaden the scope of speakers to consider. When you say I should consider Quads, do you mean their more modern hybrid speakers, or the classic ESLs?
  3. A

Thanks for the suggestion. I did check out some British forums when I bought the thing, and only remembered seeing suggestions for Audio Note, which I believe is out of my price range, and also benefits from corners, which I don't have. I just took another look. It seems that a lot of folks use...
  4. A

The 890cs have the little third party horn tweeter, reputed to be a Hepner. The woofer on the Cs is really special, but the horn, not so much. The crossover hasn't been refreshed, but I did have a technician look at them, and he said that everything was still in spec, and that he wouldn't...
  5. A

So it's only been around a year since I put together my first real stereo system, and I've already begun thinking about a second pair of speakers. In many ways I am very pleased with my Altec 890c Boleros. They do a lot of things really well. The midrange is fabulous. For chamber music, and...
  6. A

Sugden A21a cutting out. Help!

I'm afraid that I've already tried that (should have mentioned that in my post). Unfortunately the problem seems to occur regardless of input (though I don't have a tt, so can't speak to the phono).
  7. A

Sugden A21a cutting out. Help!

So, I am a complete newbie, and trying to put together my first real system. I am currently running a Marantz CD6006 into the Sugden, into Altec 890c boleros. I have run into a problem, and am having a lot of trouble isolating/trouble shooting it. When I first put on a CD, for about ten or...
  8. A

Marantz 6006 vs NAD C546BEE vs Muisc Hall C-DAC15.3 vs...

So, I'm putting together my first semi-serious stereo system, and I need a cd player. Choosing one, has proven more difficult in many respects than choosing speakers or an amplifier. There don't seem to be all that many choices anymore, if you put aside universal players, which most audiophiles...
  9. A

Integrated amp for Altec 890C Boleros

No doubt you are right, and I'm sure folks on this forum have been able to snag a Fisher or even a Mcintosh for amounts that would be within my budget. I doubt I will be that lucky, and wouldn't want to risk my whole budget on an 'As Is' sale on the auction site.
  10. A

Thanks folks for the helpful suggestions. I will look into them. Still looking for a good tech in my area. In the age of the internet, there are usually at least a few negative reviews out there about just about everyone, so it's hard to know who to trust. If I find someone, I would feel a lot...
  11. A

Would I do better to post this in a different section? Thanks.
  12. A

Hi all, Been lurking here for a while, but this is my first post. I've never had a decent stereo system before, and have finally decided to rectify that. So today, I bought a pair of Altec 890c Boleros. The fellow I purchased them from, knew what he had, and I probably paid at the high end of...
Back
Top Bottom