Recent content by absolve2525

1. absolve2525

Klipsch Forte IV's, what would pair better McIntosh 7270 amp with a 6100 pre or Sansui 9090

Klipsch and Sansui is magical. I can't say anything about Macs since I never heard the combo.
  2. absolve2525

Newly Purchased DCM TFE200s have tweeter coil rub, solutions?

Great job! I'm glad to see you got it resolved. There's nothing wrong with good ferrofluid, it's just old sticky ferrofluid that's a problem. It's just regular maintenance with older speakers that have the stuff. Honestly, it doesn't hurt to replace it automatically, if a speaker is already...
  3. absolve2525

Does the circular magnet gap, that you pulled the diaphragm out of, have plenty of fluid in it? What is the resistance on both diaphragms? You can measure with any multimeter. It's hard to say, sometimes the fluid disappears or dries up, displaces, etc. If you don't see burn marks from abuse...
  4. absolve2525

Nice! Maybe you can adjust the screws and slightly move the other one so it sounds better. Maybe new fluid will help also. The fluid probably won't move much, since it's held in place by the magnetic field. It has bits of magnetic material in it.
  5. absolve2525

The fluid doesn't look that bad, from the pictures. If they came off easily, and the fluid doesn't seem sludgy or sticky, then might be okay. Sometimes the process of removing and then reinstalling a diaphragm can re-align them for the better. Kind of a long shot, but you can do that and see if...
  6. absolve2525

Can you very carefully remove one of the tweeters, take out the screws to release the diaphragm, slowly take it off, and then show us pics? There's still the big possibility that there is a problem with the ferrofluid inside. Perhaps there is none. At least it will help us narrow it down. You...
  7. absolve2525

Maybe they just needed to play for a while and warm up? I've found that when I haven't played a set for a while, sometimes they sound kinda blah till they warm up playing for a day or two. Could be psychological, but I don't think so.
  8. absolve2525

Maybe there is dried up ferrofluid in the tweeters causing the problem?
  9. absolve2525

JBL L36 Decade - One owner, new surrounds - worth $500?

Two pairs of L5s for 500?? Not likely on this side of the US! ;)
  10. absolve2525

JBL L36 Decade - One owner, new surrounds - worth $500?

I really like mine, but gosh that's a lot of money when I can already see a dented tweeter dome and a questionable refoam job. Usually the foam surround glues onto the rear of the woofer lip with vintage JBLs.
  11. absolve2525

New to me Speakerlab K's!

Great reply and very informative! I've been encouraging K owners to give the original parts a shot before swapping out with Crites, Klipsch OEM, etc. I don't know which woofer is in mine, since it's sealed and I don't want to mess with it. I even bought a set of K33 woofers also, thinking the...
  12. absolve2525

Speaker I.D. please

I'd personally still try to hear them first. I've been through enough speaker purchases where I trust the seller that all the drivers work, only to find blown tweeters or more when I get home. Never again!
  13. absolve2525

Electro Voice Sentry III

The tweeter protector is generally considered part of the crossover, but I have found that EV physically located them separately in some cases. On my Sentry IV, for example, it's not contained in the little metal crossover boxes. I think was attached to the horn or cabinet, I don't remember for...
  14. absolve2525

Electro Voice Sentry III

It's attached to a big wood panel. Geeze these things were nearly 160 pounds each! Now that I recall, the wires connecting to the front level control broke off when the board flung off. I probably have the level control in a baggie somewhere in the garage. It looks very similar to the Sentry IV...
  15. absolve2525

Electro Voice Sentry III

I noticed there's a pair of Sentry IV crossovers on ebay. I wonder if you could use the top part for the horns and biamp or convert parts for the woofer? The two models use the same tweeter and midrange horns, although the midrange driver itself might be different but similar.
Back
Top Bottom