Recent content by Al27

1. Al27

Cuban jazz anyone?

I’m the OP of this thread, thanks for all the suggestions. I’ve been listening to Ruben Gonzalez albums and really enjoying them, as well as others. I was just in Florida and went to see this guy in Sarasota: www.rensitoavich.com He’s Cuban-born and plays solo, using a looper to create layers...
  2. Al27

Cuban jazz anyone?

Thanks for the extra interpretation of my original post. I think you hit the nail on the head- altho I like the big band stuff, I'm looking for the more sparse, intimate recordings. Lots to check out from this thread, I'll be doing a lot of listening this weekend- thanks to all!
  3. Al27

Cuban jazz anyone?

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm the OP, I guess I was kinda vague in terms of percussion/horns. I know both are an integral part of the musical style, but I'm finding I prefer smaller ensembles... I'm listening to Ruben Gonzalez as recommended above and digging it. Piano, bass, 2(?)...
  4. Al27

Cuban jazz anyone?

I've enjoyed these 2 albums for a number of years: Marc Ribot y Los Cubanos Postizos Buena Vista Social Club I've been looking for similar music. Arsenio Rodriguez keeps coming up, but his recordings are mostly from the 30's-50's and the sound quality leaves me wanting. Anyone have any...
  5. Al27

Surround doping... why?

Wonderful stuff! I love how my reconditioned speakers sound, now when I listen to them I also have the satisfaction of knowing that I did right by them and they’re good for another 50 years! :thumbsup:
  6. Al27

Surround doping... why?

Circling back on this... the recapped, doped speaker sounds great. Compared to its mate, it sounded thin and weak. Now it’s the opposite, this one outperforms the other. So speaker number 2 now in process. Thanks for all the help!
  7. Al27

Surround doping... why?

That’s more great info, thanks. Based on that memo, should I be doping the dust caps as well as the surrounds?
  8. Al27

Surround doping... why?

Wow, great post Retrovert, and great follow up, bluescat. I’m the op of the thread, I just did the first coat on the surround of one of my KLH 17s yesterday, then followed with a 2nd coat and a coat on the dust cap today based on the recommendation in a previous post. I’m hoping that wasn’t a...
  9. Al27

Surround doping... why?

Ok, thanks for the reply! Al
  10. Al27

New(to me) KLH 17's

I made some pigtails to be able to use banana plugs, I think I’ll leave the original terminals in place, at least for the time being.
  11. Al27

Surround doping... why?

i have a pair of KLH 17’s I’m working on and have ordered the doping compound. My question is: what is the purpose/reasoning behind doping? Is it to provide a seal between the cabinet interior and exterior? Just curious... Thanks, Al
  12. Al27

New(to me) KLH 17's

Can anyone recommend banana jacks that will work with the aluminum mounting plate? I’m about to check out at parts express and would like to include them.
  13. Al27

New(to me) KLH 17's

Is the “recommended butyl solution” the stuff the guy on eBay sells?
  14. Al27

New(to me) KLH 17's

So aside from sourcing the caps, I'll be browsing old threads to figure out what to use for sealant behind the speakers. Also what to use on the exterior, they just need a little spiffing up, not a refinish. Also, should I consider doping the surrounds? Thanks in advance, Al
  15. Al27

New(to me) KLH 17's

This will save me trying to figure out their age based on the serial numbers... Crossover ready for rework... And the bare cabinet...
Back
Top Bottom