Recent content by Alguymcgee

1. Alguymcgee

Vintage McIntosh - New Power cord?

I know I'm a bit late to this particular party... but for what it's worth, McIntosh is (understandably so) extremely protective of its reputation. Next to hard quality, its arguably their most valuable asset as a company. It's one of the reasons they continue to command the trust and respect...
  2. Alguymcgee

The Official Well Tempered Audio Thread

Hey all, just officially joined the club last night! Picked up a well tempered reference a few weeks ago and finally got it up and running last night. i haven't had a chance to do a ton of listening yet, but it's already surpassed my expectations by a lot. The tonearm was super intimidating, but...
  3. Alguymcgee

Rega planar 6 low end feedback problems

I reread the original post and saw that I left out a detail... Most of the solutions my hifi guy suggested worked at first, then slowly failed as I used it. Some failed pretty quickly, while the butcher block in a small tub of sand on a wall shelf worked for almost a month. But they all failed...
  4. Alguymcgee

I have my fingers crossed for a clean return, but yea that's my backup plan :beerchug:
  5. Alguymcgee

Yea I agree, it's only a total loss if you didnt learn anything. I learned a whole lot about about shelf construction and studs and the like lol. But honestly I've learned a few things about my "style" of TT, which isolation method(s) appeal most to me and such. I did a lot of research I...
  6. Alguymcgee

Ordinarily you'd be absolutely right, but that offer didn't come until everything else had already been tried. I opted to do it at the shop instead of my house because a failure there would (in my mind) confirm faulty equipment, thereby functionally eliminating all doubt. If it worked, then...
  7. Alguymcgee

Clearaudio champion 2 vs clearaudio evolution

Thanks for taking the time to put all that tigrther, that would have taken me six months lol. I don't know which of those is closest in color to the Exact, but I really am happy with the sound it produced the few times it felt like playing nice. It's funny, I know exactly what you mean when you...
  8. Alguymcgee

Yea no kidding, I'm super excited to hear what it thinks of it's new home, thanks for that tip. The guy threw in a Realistik rxt4, which is great since I don't actually own any except the one that's connected to the money pit. I don't know what kind of quality i can expect from it (TT aside) as...
  9. Alguymcgee

Yea I'm not huge on clear plinths, but if everything else is on point I can look the other way. But those big tall opaque platters almost remind me of a nice whitewall. I can't imagine paying the markup for a McGreen platter as I'd rather reinvest said markup into more meaningful improvements...
  10. Alguymcgee

Yea I agree, I'm very picky about shipping such sensitive equipment. After I had my turn opening up a box with a shattered McIntosh inside, I learned real quick that shipping is as important as any other parameter. This is excellent cautionary advice and I wish more of us took it seriously
  11. Alguymcgee

The champion 2 looks so gorgeous with that giant platter, I can see why McIntosh wanted to paint it green. The evolution looks great too, but what's the rationale behind that bar the stylus rides? I'm not for or against it as I've never seen it before, but what needs/wants does the listener have...
  12. Alguymcgee

Well the verdict is in, the exact cartridge is not the issue, as it worked fine on my buddy's table and his didn't work on mine. His marantz (the one clearaudio makes) worked like a charm in all the spots the rega was. Tonoje, I agree that it feels like we're sooo close to the finish line. Just...
  13. Alguymcgee

Yea we were able to rule out grounding and motor hum pretty early on, we just haven't been able to find the source/point of entry for the feedback. It really is a great sounding table it's a shame
  14. Alguymcgee

Look dude, I'm not sure why me continuing to hemorrhage money on this table is so important to you, but here goes my last attempt... Comparing this to a flat tire ot empty gas tank is borderline gaslighting. The TT equivalent was one of the first things I tried. This would be like the car...
  15. Alguymcgee

Unfortunately, there really aren't more logical options. $3500 for a $2000 anything is unacceptable. You wouldn't troubleshoot a brand new Cadillac, you'd drive it.
Back
Top Bottom