Recent content by Allboats

1. A

2225 Broken Input Selector Shaft

And, if there’s a little extra unused length to the new shaft, grind a little chamfer on the end to help it find it’s way through the contact discs more easily. Having a flat end on your shaft makes everything much harder.
  2. A

2225 Broken Input Selector Shaft

I guess as the flatted shaft is drawn out towards the front, you should chase it with (ideally, a scrap piece of flatted shaft, or) something to prevent the contact discs from falling out the bottom, and getting lost, swapped, or flipped 180 degrees. (Not that they would roll of the bench...
  3. A

Marantz 2325

The corollary to this is when beginning a rebuild, and two working channels are involved, do only one channel, and prove it good before disassembling the second channel. If you mess something up, you have a correct one to reference when troubleshooting.
  4. A

Marantz 2500 first fire up

I figured I’d hot glue 4 cans side by side and make some plastic donut spacers so terminals don’t short. Saw someone else here do it.
  5. A

Marantz 2500 first fire up

I just bought a 2500, condition and history totally unknown. I would like to try it, to see what it's issues are. I thought to do it first on the DBT, maybe 100 watt bulb. I understand the transformer is the weak spot, so I thought that replacing the filter caps would be the first thing to do...
  6. A

What’s inside a Marantz…..

So the 22XX and 23XX all use the same “large case”, anything below uses “small case”? I have a couple 2385’s that need help.
  7. A

2500 scope tube

If my new-to-me 2500 should need a scope tube, where do I find one? Are there any new ones, and how long should they generally last? Do all the different Marantz models use the same part number tube? I guess they get fuzzy or dim as they start to die?
  8. A

So you’re saying there are two basic sizes… And on the tab is just a “carbon”?
  9. A

Slider pot? They come in different resistances, often times broken. Some are “rare”. Is the resistance created only by a winding on the body between the solder terminals? Does the sliding lever have a winding, or specific and unique “resistance”? Are levers different sizes? Are pots...
  10. A

Marantz 5020 Cassette Record / Play Slide Switch

Ok. Not 100 pins. But more pins than I'm interested in dealing with (32 by my count). Is D5 the best for that switch, or is there something "stronger"?
  11. A

Marantz 5020 Cassette Record / Play Slide Switch

I have one VU meter thats pegged, unless I jiggle the slide switch on the main board. I soaked it in Deoxit, jiggled it 100 times, blew it out with compressed air, and still no joy. What is next? It looks like it's soldered in with 100 tiny connections. Has anyone taken one apart?
  12. A

2385 No sound, no relay click

All my others are Pioneer and Sansui. This is my first Marantz. It is limping along on one channel through a cheap Sony test speaker and a scratchy volume pot. Still, it's making sounds that the others don't make. When it gets sorted and hooked up to the JBL's, I'm sure its going to be a...
  13. A

I was asking about the DBT. Is 100w the correct bulb for that unit? It glows steady, not bright/dim.
  14. A

Maybe it’s worthwile to check all 12, find 6 that test good, and plug them into one channel, and see if that channel comes alive. Leave the other channel sockets empty. See if R003 stops smoking, or dim bulb goes dim. Using 100 watt bulb, is that right?
  15. A

“C1586” and “A909”. I guess they just plug into sockets?
Back
Top Bottom