Recent content by AlphaEcho35

1. AlphaEcho35

Audio Stores in the 70's

Well MikeT, you might have been the sales guy on the floor that day, and if you were, you did a good job explaining the VHS vs BetaMax issue to me at that Savard store on that day in the late 80's :). I hope you got a decent commission on the sale. I think I recall than Mitsu VHS deck costing me...
  2. AlphaEcho35

Anti-skating Appears to Not be Correct

Centripedal Force - Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, directing it towards the center of the circle around which it is moving. It is always directed perpendicular to the object's velocity and is responsible for keeping the object in its circular...
  3. AlphaEcho35

Sonos Connect and digital streaming

I used Sonos Connects for years. When I wanted a little better sound, I slipped various DAC's between the Sonos and whatever amp I was using. Great all-round streamer.
  4. AlphaEcho35

Anti-skating Appears to Not be Correct

It is a natural tendency for the arm to move towards the center. Anti-skating would be in effect if the arm stayed in a neutral position.
  5. AlphaEcho35

Audio Stores in the 70's

I was attending LSU during the '80's and bought my first VHS recorder at Savards (a Mitsubushi model) at the Florida Blvd store and also won a pair of Savard Speakers from the store on Highland Road. I was pretty stoked - no way I could afford a pair of those Studio Monitors back then.
  6. AlphaEcho35

Is pumpkin pie the perfect food?

Also, both pumpkin and sweet potato pies are perfect breakfast foods. I will also add custard pie to that list as well.
  7. AlphaEcho35

A tale of a Morin modified AR

Another salute to Marc (and to AVFan for the beautiful plinth.) Here's my TT that Marc helped me transform from a pile of parts into a work of audio art. It was on the workbench for some cartridge tweaking in this most recent picture.
  8. AlphaEcho35

Retired but not out of it (yet)!

Welcome to AK! A wealth of information and helpful people here. Sounds like you will fit right in!
  9. AlphaEcho35

Crackling volume

Is the problem happening only when you turn the volume pot? It could be other pots in the signal path as well - balance, etc…
  10. AlphaEcho35

DAC Dummy question

Which model Sonos do you have? I believe they all have a digital out (SDIF or COAX) which will allow you to bypass the internal DAC. If you are happy with the Sonos interface, I suggest you simply try a DAC between the Sonos and your amp. I used to have several Sonos Connects (and yes I have a...
  11. AlphaEcho35

Technics SL-1600 mk2 IC chips?

You are right. Thanks
  12. AlphaEcho35

Technics SL-1600 mk2 IC chips?

Nope, US.
  13. AlphaEcho35

Tube DAC oddity?

When you say different input, are you referring to the phono inputs on your amplifier? I am guessing you are still feeding a source from your DAC into your amp on whatever input you have it plugged in to (AUX?) and then switching over to another input source on the amp and that is when you hear...
  14. AlphaEcho35

DAC and speaker recommendation w vintage stereo

The best way to stream the sources you mention is by using a Wiim Pro or Pro Plus. For $150 (the Pro model), you get a streamer for Spotify, internet radio stations and music player for your MP3's all in one device with a reliable and usable interface. You can use your phone or a laptop to...
  15. AlphaEcho35

Crime of the Mid Century

Great work on bring that chassis back to new! Count me in for the ride on this "re-transformation." Very impressive endeavor! :lurk:
Back
Top Bottom