Recent content by AmbientMan

1. AmbientMan

Can KEF 103/3 be driven with lower watt tube amp?

Considering on picking up a nice set of 103/3 that need no servicing, have the stands, and the correct Kube. The stated specs are 4 ohm/92 db efficiency. My 6.5 watt tube amp drives my Tekton speakers, that have exact same specs as the 103/3, with plenty of authority. In fact, I think the...
  2. AmbientMan

Musical Paradise MP-301 MK3 Opinions

Reviving this thread a bit as I acquired a like new MK3 Deluxe a couple months ago, and I must say it's a great piece of kit for not a lot of money. I've used mostly the 6L6 driver tubes as I listen to a lot of headphones as well as speakers, but the Tung Sol 7581a is a fantastic tube for...
  3. AmbientMan

Vandersteen 2 vs Apogee Centaur Minor

Hello Gurus, Local listings have these two sets of speakers, priced very close to one another ($275 for the Vandersteen and $325 for the Apogee). Based on what I've read so far, I think I'm inclined to try the Vandersteens if the inspection looks good. I prefer an open soundstage, and reviews...
  4. AmbientMan

Best affordable speakers for NAD 3020b

I would say forget bookshelf and go for Magnepan SMGA. Smallest Maggie and is fairly amazing at $200 or less.
  5. AmbientMan

Best Vintage Speaker played at Soft to mid volume

I would suggest a flavor of Magnepan, the model depending on how much room you have. You can get the small SMGA cheap, and they still sound great.
  6. AmbientMan

Best used full-range speakers <$1000, again...

There's a very positive nice pair of Kappa 9 locally here in DC. You may be able to find them cheaper: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/ele/5938828363.html
  7. AmbientMan

Good local deal on Thiel CS3.5?

Hello Gurus, Not two miles from me are beautiful pair of Thiel CS3.5 speakers in Walnut with the bass equalizer for $300. Should I buy them because this is a really good deal? I haven't listened to them yet but seller says they are 100% and sound great. Wife would probably not like them and I...
  8. AmbientMan

What is the best way to connect a sub ?

I've used the "piggyback" method with older amps, and it works best from my experience. If your sub has standard line in speaker connections, just run a second set of wires from your main speaker connections so that both your main speakers and sub are fed by the main terminals.
  9. AmbientMan

M&K Satellite-1 Parts

Hi - I'm new here in DC Metro area. Just recently shelled out $200 for a super condition pair of S-1a on the original stands. This set has been well taken care of and need nothing except for one new locking terminal on the back. I can't believe how effortlessly this things play at big sound...
Back
Top Bottom