Recent content by AmericanPie

1. A

How long have you had your oldest (in your possession) component/speaker?

I still have some of the original equipment I bought circa 1973-74: a Sansui QRX-6500 quad receiver, a Thorens TD160C turntable, and four JBL L-100s. At one time I also had an Akai reel-to-reel but sold it. I used this system pretty regularly until 2001 when we moved to our current location...
  2. A

In the market for Oppo, but which one is "good enough" for my needs?

Thank you for the replies; some very useful information and practical advice. It's been a long time since I've purchased any new electronics and am very "old school". At this point I'm leaning towards a new UDP-205, but I have another question. I own an older (circa late 1990s) Sony ES CD...
  3. A

In the market for Oppo, but which one is "good enough" for my needs?

I currently own all vintage equipment which includes a 1970s Sansui 75wpc receiver and a small collection of JBL speakers (L150A, L200B, L100, etc.). Although I'll probably upgrade someday with separate components (and possibly other speakers), for now I'm looking to make my first purchase of a...
  4. A

The most beautiful JBL's ever?

Those L300s belong in a museum! I think many vintage JBLs have a beautiful, timeless presence that exemplifies visionary industrial design and a devotion to quality. I do believe I'm becoming somewhat of a collector of them and am gradually working my way up to a pair of L300s. Last year I...
  5. A

Cats

I've had cats most of my adult life and in my experience they DO occasionally like to scratch on grilles. Currently we have a pair of cats (they're sisters) and once I caught them going after my L96's. Since then I've been spraying the carpet around the speakers with a cat repellant called...
  6. A

Recommendations for Cab/Grille repair?

I'm restoring a set of my JBL L100 grilles (new cloth/quadrex foam) and noticed a few of them have cracked veneer that needs repair. Can anyone recommend a good woodworker/cab repair person? I'm in SoCal and would prefer local, but am willing to ship them to anyone with a reputation for doing...
  7. A

JBL Mega Find

Unless the original cones are torn or damaged in some way, I don't see why there would be any reason to recone. In addition, since the original aquaplas cones are NLA from JBL the shop would be using non-original cones as replacements which would greatly reduce the value of your L112's. I agree...
  8. A

Best service centers for vintage Sansui gear?

I had a quote of approx. $600 or more for a "restoration". That's well over the value of the receiver. I could upgrade to something like a 9090db for that amount. However, I'm not sure if a "restoration" is what I really need; the unit works fine and I was just looking for what I consider a...
  9. A

Thanks! I just sent him an email and will get on his waiting list.
  10. A

JBL L150s

I just bought a real nice pair of L150A's off eBay; consecutive #s, perfect drivers, cabs are at least a 9/10 with no chips. Just needed an application of the JBL cocktail to bring back the finish. They're my first true floor-standing JBL's and I'm stoked. Had to pay full market value for them...
  11. A

For you guys who aren't DIY'ers, where do you get your gear serviced? I'm the original owner of a QRX-6500 receiver (circa 1972-73). It's been stored for many years and is in mint condition but I'm sure it needs recapping, etc. Where's the best place to bring it? I live in SoCal; local...
  12. A

QRX6500: how good are they?

I'm the original owner of a QRX6500 4-channel receiver which I've had stored away for many years. Back in the "day" I used it to drive four JBL L100's (which I also still have) but lately I've been acquiring newer, better performing (but still vintage) JBLs such as L96's and L-150A's. Is...
  13. A

JBL L86 vs. L96

I had a real nice pair of L86s for several years but let them go when I finished restoring some L96s. Since they use similar tweeters and identical midranges, you won't hear much difference at lower volumes. The real difference is in the woofer. The L86 uses an 8" woofer with a 3 lb. magnet; the...
  14. A

Speakers improperly refoamed; can they be fixed?

You're right; it IS a mostly cosmetic concern of mine. The seller says they sound fine. You think I'm being too anal? :dunno:
  15. A

Speakers improperly refoamed; can they be fixed?

I've never done a refoam job myself (and don't plan to start!); how is the old glue removed? Is it carefully chipped away or is it dissolved with some kind of solvent? The woofer cones are white Aquaplas so I'm concerned how it would look when done.
Back
Top Bottom