Recent content by archie2

1. archie2

What was the the last audio-related item you purchased?

A pair of Apple HomePods.
  2. archie2

A blast from the past

They sound very nice coupled with my tube amps.
  3. archie2

Visiting New England. Wouldn't mind dropping by some Audiophile Dealers

Harvard Square and University section in Cambridge, MA.
  4. archie2

A blast from the past

Woofer signed GA Briggs and dated 1973.
  5. archie2

What's your best deal?

A basket case but complete, rare 1959 Altec Lansing 60 watt tube amp with original Mullard power tubes now completely restored. Pair of ADS L520s for $5.00. Yamaha CR2020 end of day flea market buy also restored, and a pair of JBL 12 inch signature series full range D123 speakers for $10.00. A...
  6. archie2

Looks like a handy tool

One handed soldering. I'm sure there are other versions available.
  7. archie2

Inexpensive way connect phone to power amp? (bluetooth would be nice)

I use an Echo Dot hooked up to a Dayton 50W T-amp hooked up to a pair of NHT SuperZero speakers. Works very well with lots of volume. Also is voice controlled to turn amp on/off, song selection, and control volume. You can get the Dot when on sale from Amazon at $20.- $25. You can also buy...
  8. archie2

Troubleshooting advice needed on Pilot SA-240 amp

I have a working Pilot 240 Curtain of Sound integrated amp and somewhere (I think) have the original typed manual (not Sams) with schematic and trouble shooting sections. I believe I sent a copy of the manual to AK many years ago. It might still be there. If that's of any help.
  9. archie2

Speakers just delivered..they are very cold. How long until I fire them up?

Cold definitely effects the electronics in amps, TVs in my experience. I have a 1970's Pilot SS amp and a TV housed in an outside deck that has been converted into an insulated room attached but insulated from the main house. Although insulated the room is exposed on 3 sides. With Winter temps...
  10. archie2

Vintage versus Modern

True, 20 watts isn't much in these days of power amps but check what your speakers run on with a watt meter for average listening. I think you'll find a nominal listening wattage is around 5 WPC. As for vintage vs. modern, vintage is usually cheaper and brought up to specs will rival most modem...
  11. archie2

The HomePod has landed

That little 4 inch driver has a 40mm excursion.
  12. archie2

The HomePod has landed

The Galaxy Home has 3 mid/tweeters and a 4 inch "subwoofer". The HomePod has 7 mid/tweeters and a 4 inch "subwoofer" with a 40mm excursion and Apple's A8 360 degree chip. Even in "mono" there is no single point sound as you move about the room. Every position is a sweet spot. There is no sonic...
  13. archie2

Stereos in apartments: what do y’all do?

Easy. Don't play your stereo at ear splitting levels.
  14. archie2

Local pickup only.

I prefer local pick up mainly for the higher ticket items, especially tube gear, so either I can demo to the customer's satisfaction and vice versa. That way the probability of shipping damage and/or customer dissatisfaction is mitigated/eliminated. It does narrow your market though.
  15. archie2

Audio plug ins

Nine audio plug-ins worth looking at...
Back
Top Bottom