Recent content by audiodogster

1. audiodogster

New purchase- 1965 Grundig Schönbrunn console with Dual 1009 and NF-20 amp

Yes! It seems there were two versions of the TM 245, the TM 245 Automatic which was tube, then the later TM 245 Deluxe which was solid state.
  2. audiodogster

It's weird, the only real corrosion I see on the this is on those fuses as well as similar style fuses on the reel-to-reel.
  3. audiodogster

This is one area of repair I have very little experience in. Each pair of wires off of the transformer seems to have continuity, but I'm not sure if that's the proper test.
  4. audiodogster

Great advice! I've worked on a few tube amps so I know the drill but it's worth repeating.
  5. audiodogster

I think I found my problem on the amp. The bottom fuse is blown and looks like every single electrolytic cap has failing seals, this one being the worse. I guess I need to order the parts for it.
  6. audiodogster

Just picked up this console, it's really about the nicest console I've ever seen in terms of build quality, minus one detail that I find to be pretty hilarious. The cost of this was similar to a small car back in the day so naming it after the Schönbrunn palace in Vienna seems fitting. It's got...
  7. audiodogster

Vacuum Tube CD player

I have a Carver SD/A 490t and there's definitely a difference with the tubes on versus not. I don't know if it's a particularly great player but sounds better than other CD players I've used. The sound is definitely pleasant, I had it passing directly from the Carver to a Amber Series 70 amp to...
  8. audiodogster

Just picked up a KA-907

Not bad for $12. Only enthusiasts would know these aren't the correct handles and only cabinet pulls.
  9. audiodogster

Made the Klipschorn upgrade but feel I don't have worthy equipment

Sort of a surprise, in the lot that had the Kenwood KA-907, there was a Technics SA-GX350 5-channel AV receiver. I decided to hook it up to test it as I have a friend interested in vinyl and this thing has a phono preamp so it would be a good starter unit along with a Technics SL-Q200 I also...
  10. audiodogster

Just picked up a KA-907

I have replaced filter caps in the past but have never had any test bad on my ESR meter, even on early 60's tube amps. I could also probably leave the other big value caps but they're easy and cheap enough to do that I think it's smarter to change them anyway. I had the unit all the way open...
  11. audiodogster

Just picked up a KA-907

Great idea. For reference, the KA-907 uses 4 inch (102mm) center handles so not as many options, plus you have to have the rails/brackets for the handles. I found a set on Amazon that will look fine but aren't solid metal so definitely shouldn't be used to lift the unit.
  12. audiodogster

Just picked up a KA-907

Good catch! Thing was working great last night and looked to have been in regular use before I got it but those caps are still in there. I will replace them before this thing gets powers up again.
  13. audiodogster

Made the Klipschorn upgrade but feel I don't have worthy equipment

Thanks for the offer! I need to go in and double check my work. It seems to have the same lack of mids in both channels so I think either I substituted the wrong value or messed up and wired something in wrong. The other possibility would be an issue related to one of the preamp tubes since...
  14. audiodogster

Just picked up a KA-907

I was moreso saying the tactile quality of the switches and pots (having that hunk of aluminium on the volume pot is nice, but it's already a great quality pot) but wow, that's a quite a technological marvel. I guess I shouldn't expect less from Luxman. Anyway, here's some pictures:
Back
Top Bottom