Recent content by audiodummy

1. audiodummy

Simpson 260 leads

Should be able to use a piece of 4mm or 5/32" ID brass tubing, and heat shrink the outside. Probably could just leave it in there and not have to worry about finding custom probes ever again until you find the originals! (though having them stick out is kind of annoying...)
  2. audiodummy

Simpson users - D cell replacement?

Unfortunately those lithium primary batteries are indeed very high dollar to size*weight ratio and excellent ROI for theft :( I'm going to continue using dollar tree batteries for my meters wherever possible, however... they work long enough. Should check my Eico again, but I figure it's still...
  3. audiodummy

Simpson 260 leads

Next time someone needs reverse banana plugs and can't find any, here's an option: buy some MC4 connectors, throw away the plastic part, and use the female connector... should fit! Just need to insulate it, a few heat shrink tube layers should do the trick! Dang...mad... I was at a hamfest and...
  4. audiodummy

Fixing snapped capacitor lead

Though you can try soldering/welding a new wire to the stub I'm more concerned about melting the plastic seal there... do it fast or do put it in the trash :( I would not try to use high melting point solder here, have to spot weld if you have the tools (still very hard to do!), else try to...
  5. audiodummy

Germanium to Si output modification, help please.

Also check of C71 is dried up... though you probably checked already since electrolytic capacitors in equipment of this age should all be checked for drying out!
  6. audiodummy

Did you end up replacing the rectifier, for grins? Is the original really a selenium rectifier (assuming that's why it's labeled Se)? Maybe that is what's causing the hum.
  7. audiodummy

fidelity of this radio probably wasn't very good to begin with, but either way it's not easy to swap with silicon and still get the same audio performance. You can just put in silicon and deal with the additional sound degradation...
  8. audiodummy

Kenwood Basic M2 that experienced a "thermal" event

So if the original resistors weren't FL-PR00F does the replacements need to be? :D
  9. audiodummy

6L6GC plate reddening

trying to learn something here, grid current should be pretty low (less than 1mA), and well for tubes, plate current should also be fairly low (hundreds of mA at most) at least compared to semiconductors. Basically socket weakness provides additional resistance but usually it's only a few ohms...
  10. audiodummy

AC Adapter voltage

The battery (SLA) should have gotten hot if you charged with too high of voltage (and the psu was able to supply the current needed to sustain that voltage). Cheap chargers put a resistor in series with the output and this by itself causes the "sag" when connected to a battery to charge it -...
  11. audiodummy

Transistor Test -- Different Results with Different Methods

good catch, yeah the transistortester schematic is indeed wrong. Probably made an assumption that it's drawn the same way as NPN but that's an error -- it should be opposite, anode connected to collector in pnp versus cathode to collector on npn. Funny thing is sometimes you can't even trust...
  12. audiodummy

Transistor Test -- Different Results with Different Methods

Nice thing about those modern transistortesters like the one you have in the picture actually shows that diode connected -- and you should "see" that diode with your DMM! That diode is very common in power transistors in general, most modern transistors will have one integrated. Especially...
  13. audiodummy

2sc1116 to TO-3P

Package is probably the more important issue actually if this transistor is being used as an emitter follower. These plastic transistors are just not very good at getting rid of heat, and if your heatsink that you're trying to mount on is not suitable for the plastic component, it will not...
  14. audiodummy

NAD 3020A Diagnosis - Schematic & terminology help please

Experimentation is sometimes necessary and well, at least for me, I keep a variety of components to try. TBH I would not swap parts with a working channel in case the guess was wrong and fries another component. I would have just removed Q605 and see what it does, then test with a cheap tester...
  15. audiodummy

NAD 3020A Diagnosis - Schematic & terminology help please

something isn't quite right here. transistor looks okay. Perhaps there's a loose resistor nearby... R637 still good?
Back
Top Bottom