Recent content by bailebc

1. bailebc

Thinking about upgrading my Yamaha A-S801 for the new Technics SU-G700...

Unfortunately no experience with the current Denons or Marantz, but I did A/B it with a 5 year old Denon home theater unit at the time I bought it (about 4 years ago) and the yammy blew it out of the water, but I wouldn't consider that a good comparison to a current Denon integrated as I...
  2. bailebc

Thinking about upgrading my Yamaha A-S801 for the new Technics SU-G700...

How did this story end? I have the A-S801 and love it. Use it in the main room with the TV/BluRay/MediaCenter PC/Turntable and love it. This mix is what the 801 does so well. I have had some thoughts on the Cambridge Audio CXA81 which gets great reviews and does just about everything I need...
  3. bailebc

Klipsch KG2 Evaluation

I have both the KG4 and the KG4.2 but neither have been upgraded. Both sound very good to me but maybe should consider the upgrade. The KG 4.2 are actually on long term loan to a family member (good way to keep speakers I don't have space for but can't bring myself to sell, have several pair...
  4. bailebc

JBL L80T Project -- Gone Wrong

I was thumbing through this old thread tonight and had forgotten I had read and responded to it while restoring my own set of L80Ts. Mine made it back from the dead and are still in service here today, literally right now playing Guns and Roses. Great rock and roll speakers. Have them set up...
  5. bailebc

Time to sell some more Howards feed-n-wax...

Scroe! :banana:
  6. bailebc

Boston Acoustics A400 woofer

And without having them in front of me to see. :) Hoping they are not voice coil issues, but would be nice to know we have options when searching for used replacements. My brother and his wife don't have a lot of spare cash to throw at things like this so was hoping to find that A70 woofers...
  7. bailebc

They need surrounds which I can do, but he feels that one or two have a voice coil issue. I am going up to check them out in a couple of weeks and trying to line up options if there is a voice coil problem.
  8. bailebc

Can anyone tell me if the 8" woofer in the Boston A400 is shared with any other Boston models. Trying to source some used replacements for his speakers so we can get them back in service.
  9. bailebc

SA-8800 & TX-9800.... What speakers??

For what it's worth in case anyone reads this in the future looking for ideas, I have an SA-8800 set up in the living room running with a pair of Boston A-150 series 1. Big room but it sounds really nice to my ears. It sounds great for music and movies. Love the Flouroscan!
  10. bailebc

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

HPM-100 in Columbus GA Passed on a nice pair of HPM-100s at the Valley Rescue Mission in Columbus GA. Wanted to post here in case anyone is in need.
  11. bailebc

$900 for everything?

Absolutely worth it. Based on the law of averages there has to be at least 3 to 5 pieces worth a couple of hundred. The rest is gravy. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  12. bailebc

Resurrected JBL L80T

Very nice! I did a set of these myself and really like them. Mine had not been abused near as much as yours but were still in need of TLC. Still need grills though as mine were MIA when I found them.
  13. bailebc

New Pioneer PLX-1000 vs. VPI Traveler and SL-1200

Since I helped get us off track, I will bring it back to topic. I trust the DJ more than CNET. I don't trust companies reviewing products by companies that also pay them for advertising. That is the whole reason I am on AK, to find honest reviews by people with no bias beyond their own ears...
  14. bailebc

Agree that the OEM is ultimately responsible, but there are also cases where an OEM may not realize the length it needs to go to to monitor the manufacturer to ensure corners are not being cut. Whole brands can be destroyed in this way. I cite this example...
  15. bailebc

I disagree with about 75% of this but to explain it would require me to dive off into the fine points of manufacturing in China, the culture of corruption, and lack of understanding of the fundamentals of quality control. That is for another thread. The westerners are guilty of race to the...
Back
Top Bottom